Roatan with a 3.5 YO, 5.5 YO & 9 YO

MamaParrotHead

Just got off the Glory on Saturday, and my family and I LOVED Roatan. Its a beautiful island. We took our 13, 11, 8 year old boys and they said this was possibly their favorite port ever. It did rain all day while we were there, but that just added to their excitement. They all went zip-lining, except the 2 year old, although the guides told us they have taken children as young as 2 in the past, though they don't recommend it. While the rest of the family zipped, 2 yr old and I sat in a covered patio area and enjoyed the sodas they sold there.

Didn't hit the beach due to the rain, but we were told most good beaches are now private. Tabyana beach is only available to cruise passengers who book through the ship, and we were told it is beautiful.

We used Victor Bodden tours and the driver took us wherever we wanted. Went to Victors house. Kids got to hold his pet monkeys, another highlight for them.

Take bug spray. Even with all the rain, I was still mosquito food.

Does Victor charge you if you go to his house to see the monkeys?

The monkeys are part of Victor's program and are included in his tour. He charges $40 per person, or $25 per person for four and over, and for that you get a driver / guide who stays with you for the day and takes you wherever you want to go.

The monkeys are part of Victor's program and are included in his tour. He charges $40 per person, or $25 per person for four and over, and for that you get a driver / guide who stays with you for the day and takes you wherever you want to go.

Thanks. I had already got pricing and booked with him for our group of 11. I just thought I read somewhere that people were charged like $2 or something at his house for the monkeys.

Also curious as to what kind of vehicle he uses and if there are seatbelts in them.

Any suggestions for points of interest to stop at?

Thanks!

Mama,

In response to your original question regarding the kids, we have 5 kids in our group ages 4, 6, 8, 10 & 14. Besides the tour we're going to have him (Victor Bodden) drop us off at the Mayan Princess ($10/person to use their facilities, plus they have a pool) for our beach time on West Bay Beach.

• 4 weeks later...

We pre-hired a guide for $20 each. I recommend that you find a taxi after you get off ship. NEGOTIATE with the driver and go to west bay. I heard othe rpassengers got taxi for $10 round trip/person. The beach is free and try to walk to a less crowded area. You may have to rent beach chairs. We snorkled right there. My children are same ages with your chuldren and we had a fantastic time.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a small place on Roatan that your kids might enjoy spending half an hour in. Our driver referred to it as an "iguana farm". There are dozens of iguanas of all sizes roaming free. The staff give you leaves to feed them, and one staffer gave me a large iguana to hold in my arms -- certainly a new experience (though I wouldn't recommend it if you can resist the photo op -- I ended up with a few unintentionally inflicted but unpleasant scratches on my hand). They have parrots and a few monkeys, though the monkeys are unfortunately in smaller cages than I would have wished. Admission was $5.

Archived