Luau on Kona - Can anyone recommend?

4merlurker

KVR is supposedly the best on the island and we've done it a couple of times, once as our reception for our vow renewals. However, I think for the money spent, the one that the Waikoloan has is just as nice and much more affordable.

Charlie

Aloha,

I did the one at the Mauna Kea in 2001, and the one at the Royal Kona in Kailua-Kona in 2004. The Mauna Kea had lots of delicious food, and plenty of it, but a so-so show. The Royal Kona had a better show, imu ceremony, people doing crafts, and the food was good, but not as much variety as the Mauna Kea. RK was definately cheaper, although we did find a coupon for the MK - in one of those Hawaii Gold books they have in the airport. Hope this helps.

We did the Feast of Pele (I think that was the name of it) at the Hilton Waikoloa Beach last Tuesday. It was great! $82 pp. I had been to a cruise excursion Luau on Maui a dozen years ago that was AWFUL. This one at the Hilton was fabulous! They hold it on Tuesday and Friday. The food was very good, and plentiful. Only about 150 people attended. So every seat was a good seat. Also got to see the sunset right before the buffet started.

We had planned to do the Mauna Kea luau originally. The Revealed book said it was Tuesday, and that the Hilton show was only on Friday. When I called Mauna Kea, their luau is cancelled until further notice, due to some earthquake damage from this summer. We were glad to find the replacement Tuesday luau, as we were only there late Saturday until Friday AM.

Happy cruising,

Suzy

Archived