Legend out of Tampa

ecat522

I'm also sailing on the Legend on the 18th of November. I have been on one other cruise (a Princess cruise), but it was almost 7 years ago so I feel like a new cruiser. This is our first time with kids, but these boards have been so informative and the people so helpful at answering my questions. I also would like to know about the drink cards. Are these for alcoholic drinks or for sodas and such? Can someone tell me how much cards are for unlimited sodas? Is the iced tea sweetened or unsweetened? I am from the south and could not handle unsweet tea. Thanks

14? Yikes...I am a sucker for martinis, but not that many! That kind of scares me about the high seas...I hope that doesn't happen to us! Does the water feel rough? I probably sound really paranoid, but being on a huge ship in the middle of the ocean is scary!!!

I can relate. When I first looked into cruising I worried about everything that could go wrong. And I especially worried about being seasick. It is part of my personality to worry even though I wish it wasn't. My advice is don't listen to all the negatives and what could go wrong because it is easy to pass into paranoid instead of worried. Plus look at it this way...what is the very worst thing that could happen?

You get seasick.........well okay but they have meds on board if you don't bring them and even a shot if you need it so actually the worst thing that would happen is that you get a shot and go to sleep for a few hours.

The Ship sinks....this isn't Titanic. There are plenty of lifeboats and the water is warm. Plus it is a really well traveled corridor so you wouldn't need to wait long for rescue.

You don't like any of the food. You can eat bread and water and darn will you look good with your new weight loss.

You can't stand the people on board. Worst that happens is that you catch up a lot of TV in your cabin.

I think you will have a fantastic time and I think the Legend is the best ship with the best ports. Just breathe.....relax and enjoy the moments. Or at least try to. :cool:

If you were not outside on deck at the time that they turned us around from Grand Cayman, you would have never known that the were very rough seas. You could feel the boat list just a little bit, but it really felt quite normal to me. If, however you walked out on deck, you could feel the very strong wind and see that the water was rough. There is nothing to worry about the Captain and his crew are awesome.

I created my website just for people like you because when I took my first cruise I hated being new.

http://www.*****.com/users/bjkeen/index.html

To ease your worries you can find the motion sickness pills that works best for you or the patch. I take Bonine before I leave land.

I live in Tampa and I can tell you that the Legend is fabulous. Email me and I will send you my review of the Legend. Email: peachyke1@yahoo.com (Put Cruise in your subject line so I don't delete it).

Happy Cruising!

bjkeen-that is an awesome website. It's very helpful and I like that I can check back to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. This is a very helpful website...thanks for everyone's help! I don't know what I'd do without these boards!

We were on the Legend on the 16 Sept 2007 cruise. We had both had trouble with sea sickness on coastal dinner cruises and ferries in the past, and were afraid about cruising so much we put trying one for decades. We finally bucked up and the Legend was our first cruise. It was great!!!:) We actually enjoyed the time on the ship more than the port calls. As for the rough seas, we were high up in the bow of the ship which is where the motion is the greatest. we could feel the ship's movement a little but my DW and I never got to the point of sea sick. it was more like rocking in a hammock. One suggestion is to go to the center of the ship on lower if you are feeling a little queasy; that is where the motion is the least. The Legend is so big that it is longer than most waves so it just does not respond to rough seas that much.

You do not need to get the drink card - we did fine with out it. If you are addicted to brand name soda's you may want one, but we found the coffee, tea, punch and lemonade met our soft drink needs just fine. We took large insulated mugs along and took our drinks all over the ship without trouble.

If you want a quiet place to get away from the crowds for a few minutes check out the Enchanted Forest near the theater on deck three (I think). We did not find any thing like an "enrichment lectures" and the port talks were mainly where to shop.

Just have fun. We loved our September cruise so much that were are out again on the 24th on the Glory. Cruising is addictive. :D

How much is a drink card? Is it worth it? What kind of drinks do you get with it? I just want to make sure, so I don't waste money!

The drink cards are for sodas. They have Coke products on board. Are the cards worth it? I guess it depends on how much soda you drink. For a 7 day cruise the card will cost about $45 for an adult, which includes the 15% gratuity they add. An individual glass of soda would cost about $1.50, including gratuity. So you would have to drink around 30 sodas during the week to break even with the card. Even knowing that I'm losing a little money, I usually buy the card for my DD for convenience sake.

luvmy3girls--As a Southerner, I have to say that the iced tea on board leaves a lot to be desired--and it is unsweetened. There is sugar, splenda and the like available, though, and I usually manage to drink my fair share of the tea. Some folks on here have said that if you mix it with a little of the lemonade, it makes it a lot better. I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds good.

Wow! I'm really sorry to hear that I missed out on the chocolate martinis. I guess that's a good reason for a repeat trip! :D

I sailed on this ship in July and loved it. The decor is a bit garish (hey, its Carnival) but the food was very good and the staff friendly.

As for motion, a cruise in the Gulf is smoother than one in the Atlantic. I had absolutely no need for Bonine while at sea. (Sitting at port in Costa Maya though, before hurricane Dean, had me taking two while in the library on the internet.)

We were in 4182, a nice midship location not too high up. Never heard a thing from our cabin, but the ventilation system whistles a bit. (All cruise ships make noise.) I keep earplugs in my luggage at all times just in case I need them. But for the most part I sleep like a rock on a cruise ship.

I did think that the mattresses needed to be replaced. The ship is a couple of years old and it may be time for CCL to change some things out. There were four of us in our cabin (two adults and two kids, age 12 & 10). Had plenty of space for our stuff.

We absolutely hated Belize. This port, IMO, is not set up for American tourists to walk around. It is chaotic after leaving the gates of the cruise terminal. If you go anywhere in that country take a ship excursion. I do not advise wandering around by yourselves, especially if you have children. We have taken quite a few cruises and I hope to never go back to belize. If I end up on a cruise there I will sleep in that day.

Loved Cozumel and Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman. We were a bit bored on the sea days--we're not pool people. Very good food (we ditched the dining room twice for the Lido buffet), the the cruise director (Chris) is hilarious. Shows are very good too.

It was a nice cruise and I'd go back.

You can buy drink coupons for alcohol drinks for $19.50 for 4 drinks. They typically let you use them for more expensive drinks, but some say they don't. Just a way of paying for some of your booze ahead of time.

We were on Glory in peak hurricane season in Sept. and that ship was rockin and rollin one night. But you're on a Spirit class ship and due to their design, they do much better. You won't feel a thing. If you're prone to motion sickness take Dramamine the night before your cruise, and maybe your first night at sea. Be sure to take it at night because it makes you a little drowsy. If you start taking it ahead of time, you'll beat the queasy before it starts.

I envy you that first cruise! You never forget your first! And everyone's right - you will be addicted!

Cheers!

Lisa:p

cruised the Legend in Feb out of FLL and the Inspiration out of Tampa. The Legend is my second favorite ship (Liberty 1st) and Tampa is my FAVORITE port.

You are going to have a WONDERFUL time. Welcome to your new addiction.

You can buy drink coupons for alcohol drinks for $19.50 for 4 drinks. They typically let you use them for more expensive drinks, but some say they don't. Just a way of paying for some of your booze ahead of time.

The price for the four bar credit coupons has gone up to $21.25.

Archived