warm clothes

lowdown

It might be cool when sailing out of LA - although this time of year, probably not. If you go to the top of Mauna Kea, it can be cooler, but we're talking sweater/jacket cool. If you are talking about Haleakala, it will be cold at daybreak, so you want to layer. once the sun comes up, it can be very warm up there. We have gone up there in down jackets and been fine, but also tee shirts. Wear a sweat shirt and a jacket and you should be okay.

Charlie

We did Halekalea with just long sleeve t-shirts during the day and it was fine, I knot it is much cooler for sunrise, so if you plan that, maybe bring a sweater or two. Mauna Kea was very cold even during the day, we had several layers and the wind bit right through, but we weren't outside for extended periods, so it wasn't too big of a deal.

It might be cool when sailing out of LA - although this time of year, probably not. If you go to the top of Mauna Kea, it can be cooler, but we're talking sweater/jacket cool. If you are talking about Haleakala, it will be cold at daybreak, so you want to layer. once the sun comes up, it can be very warm up there. We have gone up there in down jackets and been fine, but also tee shirts. Wear a sweat shirt and a jacket and you should be okay.

Charlie

I've got to disagree just a smidge. The summit of Mauna Kea will almost certainly be quite cool. We went up one time in June and needed long pants, lightweight sweaters, and jackets (not down or anything; just basic jackets). It might be only cool, but it can also be down right cold. Of course, this isn't the dead of winter, so I seriously doubt it will be freezing or snowing, but I suppose you never know.:D

We ditto your advice to layer for Haleakala (and also for the Mauna Kea summit). We don't do the whole sunrise at Haleakala summit thing, but have been there by 9 am when it starts to warm. I wore jeans, sweater, jacket, gloves, etc. Shortly after arriving, I started the strip routine--including scrunching down in the front seat of the car to change into shorts. I'm still not sure if the nice gentleman parking next to us got a "show" or not.:eek: It was nice and warm at the summit that morning.

Don't forget a jacket for Kilauea if you're going there. It's about 4000 ft and can be cool-ish and showery during the day.

beachchick

The general "rule of thumb" is that the temperature will drop slightly more than 3 degrees for every 1,000 feet increase elevation. Therefore, since Haleakala is 10,400 feet at the summit and you be staring at sea level, expect it to be about 30-35 degrees colder than sea level. Mauna Kea is close to 14,000 feet so I would plan on it being 40-45 degrees colder at the summit. As I said, the 3 degrees per 1,000 is a general rule, but we found it to be real close.

Archived