Cabin assignment finally! Oosterdam 4124. Did we do OK?

momtodogs

This is our first verandah cabin cruise! Our previous 3 cruises have been in inside cabins. My sister and I are so excited.:cool: :D We had a VH guaranty reservation, and just today the website showed our assignment. We leave next Saturday.

I am a little concerned that we have a lifeboat/tender right next to us (forward.) Will that be a problem for us view-wise? I have read that the outside portion of the verandah is visible from the deck above us. That's no worry. Don't plan on putting on any kind of show...maybe a friendly wave.

Someone else wrote (in an old thread from 2006) that there's only a divider on one side of the verandah for 4124. The side facing the lifeboats is exposed, and would be pretty breezy while the ship is in motion. What would they mean by "exposed?" My impression of the deck plan is that there is no deck there ... that the boats are just hanging. Or, is there a deck that people will be able to walk onto our verandah from?

Does anyone have any first-hand, or even hearsay, knowledge of cabin 4124? Also, our father is booked in cabin 1103 (he didn't want a verandah.) That one looks pretty nice on paper, right near the elevators. Hope he did OK. He's 79, and we don't like that he is not near us and most likely will have a different lifeboat assignment.:( He doesn't hear well, so doesn't always understand the instructions. But, I guess we children have to let them grow up sometime. :rolleyes:

Counting down the days, and trying to keep the suitcase weight at a minimum......this time. :p

From my recollection in the summer on the "O", you are correct about the verandah being open to the lifeboats. There is a glass wall wrapping around the corner (like a corner office), but not the large partition between you and the lifeboats.

You are correct that the lifeboats hang on your level with the promenade one deck below. On our cruise we were above these cabins and I thought the corner with the bigger balcony (we were one level up) would work really nicely. Those above can view a part of your balcony, but we always ended up having great conversations with those below as we enjoyed the view together.

You will have a GREAT TIME!

VD4124 is a very nice upgrade from a VH! Because you don't have any verandah cabin immediately forward of you, you will have more view than other VDs. But IF there is only a 4 foot high railing on the forward side (I'm not sure), I believe you will get more breeze and be exposed to view from cabin F4122.

Archived