Opera Transatlantic November

justukcruising

I have just stumbled across this site, Very useful!

I have booked on the Opera on the 17 night November Transatlantic from Genoa.

I am an MSC virgin, anyone have any tips, advice etc for this company? I am in a suite on La Boheme deck, don't know which one.

I will post a revue on completion of trip.

• 3 weeks later...

We will also be sailing on the Nov transatlantic sailing of the Opera so glad to see your message.

I offer the following comments:

We recently retired to Treasure Island, Fla, after living in Annapolis, Maryland, for 23+ years. I retired from the Department of Justice in Washington and my wife retired from Navy as a civilian. We are both in our mid-fifties.

We have travelled all over the world and have taken 25+ cruises including a just-completed Panama Canal cruise with Carnival's Paradise, the last nonsmoking cruise for the ship. Before that we were on the Pacific Princess, Princess on a 3 week trip from Hawaii to Osaka visiting many of the WWII islands.

We booked an inside cabin guarantee cabin and early seating.

We enjoy cocktails, with rum and diet coke being our drink of choice. We bring our own rum and coke on board prefering to avoid the high price and weak drinks sold by the ship.

We do our own excursions finding the ship offers expensive and spending too much time waiting on others and spending too much time at shops we have no interest.

My wife always has breakfast in the cabin. I never do as I like the flexiblity of working out in the morning and eating when I want.

I like the idea of playing poker without the ship's assistance.

On our last cruise the cruise critic folks met every non-port day at a certain time by the pool bar just to shoot the bull. We might want to consider that this trip.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Don & Jo Anne "Jo"

I usually just read these posts but just wanted to say that although I am on this cruise I don't know that I want to meet up with someone who considered himself affluent enough to retire early after working for the Dept of Justice yet intends to smuggle rum on the ship just to save a few bucks.

Do rules only apply to others?

Hello,

I am new to this site and also the experience of cruising. So please be gentle with me.

We have a booking with Mediterranean Shipping Cruises (MSC) on MSC Opera. We are travelling on her transatlantic voyage departing 15th November 2004 from Genoa.

We have tried all the web sites we can think of trying to get some feedback from others who have sailed on her since she was brought into service earlier this year without any luck, up until now.

Having been advised about this site by an experienced MSC user I am delighted to know that, at least two Cruise Critic reviewers will be on board with us.

The company website and brochure only give artists impressions of the decor, so I was getting a bit concerned. Thankfully now all my questions have been answered thanks to individuals contributing to this site.

Both my wife and I are in our mid 50's. We live on the Isle of Man and are going on the cruise in celebration of the fact that I have just retired. I was a Senior Probation Officer. Lesley ( she who must be obayed ) is still working in the finacial sector so she needs a break.

We have never visited any of the ports of call before so we are looking forward to the excursions and people watching.

We have booked a outside room with a balcony.

Happy cruising

DonW there is no need to smuggle anything, you are quite able to take what you want aboard, you can even buy it in the duty free shop to consume in your cabin [and the prices were way better than any land shop or airline/airport duty free]. Do not however drink anything of your own in the public areas; cabin only. [This is of course unless MSC decide this repositioning cruise comes under US 'rules', rather than Med 'rules', when things may differ].

Drinks aboard are not pricey. Bar Tariff in the Med is at http://www.magwa.co.uk/armonia/armoniabarmenu.htm also there are happy hours where 2 daily cocktails can be had for the price of one, ie 2 cocktails for Euro 4.70 or 2 Whiskey Sours for less*. Somewhat cheaper than US lines. But again, onboard prices may rise if it's classed as a US cruise & $ is the onboard currency rather than the Euro. Would be interested to know.

*For typical Daily Specials see my Armonia Daily programmes at http://www.magwa.co.uk/armonia/armoniaphoto.htm#menu these are same fleetwide

Pam

It is great that we are finally getting together for this cruise. I was advised by my TA that the MSC cruise would be different since it was European in nature and different than typical american-oriented cruises.

Thanks for the different perspectives and information as we look forward to meeting and sailing with you.

Don W.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mike

Well for sure when you have completed this cruise you will be able to tell your "large group" of cancer/emphysema "stick" purveyors you gave then bad information regarding Opera transatlantic April 2005 and they will have to "follow the rules" and refrain from smoking in those areas where it is not permitted.

They will have to curb their anti-social behaviour :-).

To me a fellow passenger taking a couple of bottles of rum on board for private consumption is far more preferable!!

Still it takes all sorts. Live and Let Live - except smoking KILLS.

Happy cruising - both ways!!

We are informed that the "rules" about smoking will definitely not be enforced , indeed how could they be, how much room is there in the brig?

I am sure the ventilation will be excellent and others will not be inconvenienced.

It is hard now to find a ship where you can enjoy a smoke with dinner, political correctness gone mad. MSC get my vote for a truly european relaxed attitude to tobacco.

Any pipe or cigar smokers on here?

MikeWitte

I have no doubt you enjoy being provocative and attempting to "wind up" people - WITTY you are not.

As a direct result of smoking my father and 2 friends (1 passive) have died in agony so I have rather strong feelings so do forgive me. That does not mean I am anti-smoking per se and I have friends and family who are smokers - but what makes them decent human beings is that they have consideration and respect for others and do not intrude on their privacy and rights and derive no pleasure or enjoyment in trying to upset others with their habit. They attempt to smoke only when they will not cause inconvenience - and it might surprise you but that is possible.

Yes I am tolerant but sometimes too much can be just that!!

Have you forgotten that Opera will dock at several ports and passengers - even "large groups" - ignoring regulations causing a nuisance to others and putting their health at risk can be put ashore?

Fire at sea is the greatest risk passengers face - and smoking can lead to fires. Especially when uncontrolled and regulations not enforced. Never forget that

Some people might even prepare the necessary legal action in advance to ensure that they are protected by MSC and that the regulations are enforced.

Forewarned is to be forarmed.

Strange you can be so puritanical on some issues - and so cavalier on others.

Is it hypocrisy? You demonstrate that you do not believe rules apply to you.

My own gut feeling is this - You will not be sailing on Opera on either transatlantic crossing despite your posts proclaiming that you will be on both sailings. Of course I await with huge amusement your denials and further childish attempts to be provocative.

This will be my last post on this particular issue. I have only responded so far to re-assure those visiting these boards and looking for information that MSC are no different to any other European or American Shipping company and they do have a smoking policy and this they will enforce when necessary.

I was gone for a few days...what did I miss and where? What is this about not enforcing the smoking rules?

Please...no flaming from either side. I am a smoker. My Dad smokes a pipe. There was no smoking in the dining rooms on the Lirica. We people with the habit have long gotten used to no smoking areas. What's the big deal? I never smoke in the houses of friends who don't smoke and would never impose my second hand smoke on anyone. There are areas in the bars and lounges where smoking is allowed and that is where I go.

What DOES bother me is when a nonsmoker comes into a smoking area (better view??) and then does the waving and hacking routine. Nonsmoking areas far outnumber smoking areas, so why do people do that?

Happy sailing!

Hi Nocaper - Welcome back!

Like the "no flaming" when writing about smoking!! Know I said would not make another post but you deserve some answer. You need also to read the Opera vs Volendam "thread".

As said before have plenty of smoking friends and family - and no problems with those who wish to smoke in the designated areas. Absolutely agree with you at the behaviour of those who go into a smoking zone and then make a drama with hand flapping, sniffing, etc.

Guess it comes down to having tolerance plus respect for yourself and others and accepting that rules apply to all - even if one feels prejudiced against. Guess there are laws/regulations we would all like to change or ignore!

Czechmate posted that

You need also to read the Opera vs Volendam "thread".

Actually he must have been having a senior moment as there isn't one.

There is however a Lirica vs Volendam thread,

the Opera is a different ship to the Lirica, although similar.

Life is so confusing as you get older isn't it?

MikeW, lot's of seniors post on this site. Unfortunately, some of our 'senior moments' are spent reading comments from smart alecks like yourself.

I don't know if you are really making two transatlantic crossings. Personally, I doubt it but really could care less. In the meantime, do us all a favor and crawl back to wherever you came from.

You're right. I can't believe I was so 'testy'. It was way past my 'senior bed-time' and if I had been where I should have been, better sense would have prevailed this morning. I would have just ignored him!!

Both my parents lived to a ripe old age and, yes, there was some dementia and confusion involved and I dislike barbs thrown at the elderly...whether they are or not. Plus I have a very soft spot for old folks in general...I'm not quite there yet but inching closer. And I dislike people who pick at - and point out - others little mistakes. (And also those folks who don't just take some things with a grain of salt..who can that be!?)

Anyway, it's always better to take the high road which I failed to do but will try to stick to in the future.

Enough.

Cod - we all write things that later we wish we had not. Guess that is what makes us all humans with human fallibilities!!

Guess I am now one of those you dislike because I did not take SOME things with a grain of salt. LOL!!

We can chat about it and share a few laughs over a glass of wine in April !!

Hope you agree!!

:p Read the reviews with interest and some tepidation from some on your severe comments. Both Linda and I (Julian) are in our fifties and taking mum(mom) who is a very active and healthy 82 year old who we would gladly wishto find a friend during the trip.

Any useful tips on the do's and dont's, we booked two inside cabins on level four, so some interest in meeting up with fellow reviewers, how do you organise that!

The Poker sounds interesting and up for a friendly game or two, luggage allowance for the ladies and how formal are the formal nights.

Any ideas of the quality of the entertainment day and night time.

Only our third cruise, all others being on Fred Olsen ships so any feed back on MSC very, very welcome.

Hope to hear from anyone soon and meet up during the sailing.

Kindest regards and thanks

Julian , Linda, Mum (Irene)

Julian -

I just KNEW I should have booked this cruise - your 82 year old mum and my 82 year old Dad! I took Dad on the Lirica in May, and hope to do another MSC in the Spring. We both had a great time (although he swears I made him walk 20 miles in San Juan!). I'm sure you will all have a wonderful trip.

Happy sailing!

Julian -

I just KNEW I should have booked this cruise - your 82 year old mum and my 82 year old Dad! I took Dad on the Lirica in May, and hope to do another MSC in the Spring. We both had a great time (although he swears I made him walk 20 miles in San Juan!). I'm sure you will all have a wonderful trip.

Happy sailing!

Thanks so much for your reply,

Sure Dad dosn't want a trip, spare bed (no nonsence, mind!), so access is easy etc etc etc.

Kindest regards

Julian

:) What good fun this is, suits my very dry sense of humour.

so,

Good luck with your December trip, Mum is on her very first Cruise( only our third) therefore on her behalf will take a rain check until her return!!, would only want her to look her best for any possible suitor.

We have only travelled with Fred Olsen before, Bramare and Black Pince doing Carribean and Med respectively, enjoyed both although Bramare suited us better, slightly larger although still small in comparision to Opera. We enjoy good food, nightly shows and some day trips.

You appear far more experienced,what ships, places would you recommend.

Kindest regards

Julian:rolleyes:

Julia (et al)

It is fun, isn't it! Sometimes things get a bit serious on some of the boards. People here are pretty accepting HOWEVER..we are off track here talking about parents! Don't want to bore people. Care to chat via email?

Happy sailing!

Archived