What to do....what to do?????

sogamusicman

Hi all--

Only 15 days till we depart on out first cruise (Inspiration - Thanksgiving!!!). Here's a good question .....

Are there many of you who cruise to just cruise? I mean, I don't know that my DW and I are all that interested in the ports. We'll probably get off just to take a look, but are we unusual in that we're not real excited about beaches and such (I know, why go to the carribean). I hope we'll like this and do Alaska or Europe or whatever, but are there others who are more interested in the cruise itself? thanks!!!!!

Hi all--

Only 15 days till we depart on out first cruise (Inspiration - Thanksgiving!!!). Here's a good question .....

Are there many of you who cruise to just cruise? I mean, I don't know that my DW and I are all that interested in the ports. We'll probably get off just to take a look, but are we unusual in that we're not real excited about beaches and such (I know, why go to the carribean). I hope we'll like this and do Alaska or Europe or whatever, but are there others who are more interested in the cruise itself? thanks!!!!!

Absolutely we enjoy staying on the ship on port days. Especially if we have been to the port on a previous cruise. There is a whole different feel to the ship on a port day. Less crowded and more laid back. Depending on what port you goto and the number of cruise ships in the port it may feel like the fleet just pulled in.

The cruising is fun, however you are not typically in port long enough to get anything more than a quick "taste" of the island. That is why I like cruising, it gives me just enough of an experience on an island to get a sense of where we would enjoy vacationing in a more resort-style way for a full week or so.

I enjoy the cruising part of cruising too, but if that was all the itinerary was for a full week, I would not enjoy it very much. I need to "do stuff" and "plan stuff". It is part of the vacation build-up for me.

Also, I don't count it as a vacation unless palm trees are involved. :D

I would do a cruise to nowhere in heartbeat. Sure dh and I get off at the ports - just so we can get a 'taste' of what's it like and say that we've been there.;) We have only been on two cruises, but were hooked after the first one. No worries of who's going to be driving - only worries we have is whether to take a nap or not and if so at what time!:p

The cruising is fun, however you are not typically in port long enough to get anything more than a quick "taste" of the island. That is why I like cruising, it gives me just enough of an experience on an island to get a sense of where we would enjoy vacationing in a more resort-style way for a full week or so.

I enjoy the cruising part of cruising too, but if that was all the itinerary was for a full week, I would not enjoy it very much. I need to "do stuff" and "plan stuff". It is part of the vacation build-up for me.

Also, I don't count it as a vacation unless palm trees are involved. :D

I completely agree. Especially traveling with my son - it's hard to keep his attention very long, so the short stops at each island are perfect. And I love the itineraries where every other day is a sea day. Our first cruise was very port intensive and even though we had an awesome time, I don't know if I'd go out of my way to pick an itinerary like that again.

And I second the motion thatI don't count it as a vacation unless palm trees are involved. :D Yes, I know there are so many places to vist and explore and I'm sure I'll want to do more traveling as I get older, but for right now, when we can only take one or 2 big vacations a year, I want to be somewhere on a beach with drink in my hand :p

There are individual threads on this board for every port city. There is so much to do, and not everything involves beaches.

On Grand Cayman, good options are the stingray city, turtle farm, rum factory, hell. On Jamaica, the Falls. Etc.

And if you don't feel like any of thise things, just let that day be a "sea day", relax and enjoy the ship.

Archived