Leaving for first cruise on Serenade of the Seas

DLee2

Can anyone who has been on Serenade of the Seas help me? I am reading so many mixed info about formal/smart casual/casual nights. Can you explain the acceptable attire for these on Serenade? And for a 7 night cruise to Southern Caribbean, when these nights would be? Also is the same attire required for Chops/Portofino? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know which night is which any more. My first cruise was on the Serenade, too. Loved that ship. There is nothing like your first cruise so take it in and enjoy.

Chops and Portofinos are considered Smart Casual or dressier. Some people choose reservations on formal nights to avoid wearing their formal wear.

Jen

Well, it might be best to start with the basic definition of the types of dress....and given the fact that I'm more familiar with what men wear, I'll express it that way, and let you decide what the women's equivalent would be. :) Additionally, you can pretty well apply them to all RCI ships as well as Princess and Carnival.

Casual - Almost anything would go. Technically, shorts and jeans are casual. However, if you wear them to the dining room, people might look at you rather funny....or with a disapproving glare at times. Casual is always good for the Windjammer.

Smart Casual - This is the norm for the dining room. Men can wear dockers or slacks with an open collar.

Formal - This is not as rigid as in days past. Men can get away with a blazer and tie (the classic dark blue blazer never seems to be a problem) - with slacks or course. Suits and the occasional tux are also appropriate.

Chops and Portofinos dress code coincides with whatever is going on in the dining room.....either smart casual or formal. However, I believe that you will find that most men are wearing ties and coats even on smart casual nights.

Hope this helps.

Have a great cruise!

Joe

joe,good to see another marine. seen a few navy guys but you're the first "jarhead". from my screen name shouldn't be hard to tell my outfit. who were you with. bootcamp at P.I. in 68,across the pond in 69. sorry to talk marine corps here,but we are THE FEW,THE PROUD

semper fi

woody

Woody,

Semper Fi......and Happy Birthday!

I went in not long after you.....Hollywood myself. Active 73-77, then reverses until 83. I preferred to swing with the wing. Spent my time in Yuma and Iwakuni....when I wasn't going to school with the zoomies in Denver.

Our son is now the proud wearer of the funny green suit. He just made Sgt. on Nov. 1.......not bad for an 0311 (by choice :eek: ) with only 2 years, 8 months and 22 days in service! (Not that any of us count on that type of thing. ;) He's on leave now....just left 2nd FAST - Fleet Anterrorism Security Team - and is headed to 3/1 at Pendleton.

Good to see another jarhead in the area......all we need is about 2 more, and we'll take the place over! :D

Take care.....you can reach me via email at my moniker on aol if you wish.

Semper Fi,

Joe

joe,good to see another marine. seen a few navy guys but you're the first "jarhead". from my screen name shouldn't be hard to tell my outfit. who were you with. bootcamp at P.I. in 68,across the pond in 69. sorry to talk marine corps here,but we are THE FEW,THE PROUD

semper fi

woody

Well Devil Dogs.....my husband is a jarhead too. He was stationed at MCRD when I married him in 75. He was on the drill field. He got out in 79 with 9 years of active duty but he still holds the Marine Corp dear to his heart. We just came back from a 15 day cruise (serenade of the seas) to/from Hawaii and ran into several jarheads onboard. Most of them were much older than my husband but they still showed that GREAT PRIDE that a MARINE always holds, not only for his country but for the CORP.....

I dont know which nights are what on Serenade but last week on Vision I wore:

Nice jeans and a polo shirt for Casual

dockers and a long sleeve collered shirt on smart casual

suits on Formal nights

every night I was comfortable in what I wore and out dressed many people...I wouldn't recommend anything less than jeans and a polo on casual night...you wouldnt be the only one wearing shorts but would certainly be the minority...

One more, and we'll have a fire team.....and nothing can stop us then! ;)

Cruiserinutah.......scary question here, but I have to ask. :eek:

His - and now yours, I assume - last name......is it Barr, Tipton, Dwyer or Shaw? Just curious.....I PROMISE not to say anything in public to besmirch their names! :p

Joe

One more, and we'll have a fire team.....and nothing can stop us then! ;)

Cruiserinutah.......scary question here, but I have to ask. :eek:

His - and now yours, I assume - last name......is it Barr, Tipton, Dwyer or Shaw? Just curious.....I PROMISE not to say anything in public to besmirch their names! :p

Joe

No, you're safe....last name is Lopez.....the last year he was in the drill field was with the PT unit. He and a few others put together the obsticle course in 75 or 76,,,,, if I'm not mistaken.

Well, he COULD have been one of mine.....I went there Sep 73. And to be honest, the craziest of them (Tipton) ended up being a bit of a friend afterwards. Even had me over to his house for dinner once. He ended up being the Sr. for Motivation Platoon. Bet your DH even knew him.....the timing is about right.

Later,

Joe

Archived