What are the options for a family of 7?

Dsnyluvr

Thanks for the picture and the explanation. It does seem like this would be the perfect room for us. I hate to sound picky, but do you know if this room has a good view. I'm sure I will be spending a lot of time on our balcony taking pictures and so will my son. From another photo that I saw on this site, it looks like the balcony is on the back of the ship. Will that work for Alaska, or does it have to be on the side to see the glaciers and such?

The location would be wonderful. The scenery is everywhere so I don't think there is such a thing as a bad view in Alaska. At the glacier, we spent the early morning on the approach up on the front of the ship. Once we were as close as we were going to get (200 yards) the Captain turned the ship and we went and saw it from our balcony. Then as he kept turning we went to the back of the ship.

I looked on the website, and it doesn't let me book that far in advance. Generally, when can you start booking for summer of 2009? Since it's a large group, do I have to call a specific phone number? Is there any advantage to all of us booking together? Does anyone know how much you have to put down for each person and when the last payment is due? Is it just me or is the royal Caribbean website a lot more confusing than it has to be?

Those sailings will open up next April if they stick to previous years. You need 8 cabins to get to be a group so you won't qualify there. If the cruise is 7 days then you will have to put down $250 per person and the full payment is due around 70 days from sailing so you have a long time to save.

I looked on the website, and it doesn't let me book that far in advance. Generally, when can you start booking for summer of 2009? Since it's a large group, do I have to call a specific phone number? Is there any advantage to all of us booking together? Does anyone know how much you have to put down for each person and when the last payment is due? Is it just me or is the royal Caribbean website a lot more confusing than it has to be?

Alaska 2009 bookings will probably come open in Spring 2008. I would start looking in March for those itineraries to come open. With a large group I would try and book as soon as bookings come open.

You won't have to call a specific number. You can either call the main RCCL customer service line. OR you could go through a travel agent. In fact, you could find a travel agent, tell them what you want and tell them to book it for you when bookings come open.

I would not suggest trying to book through the website. The RFS won't be able to be booked on the website as it requires a minimum of 5 people to book. Also the website does not show all the available rooms so if you go with the connecting rooms option instead you won't have the best choice of rooms.

You don't all have to book the same way to have your reservations connected. After you've all booked (no matter which way you do it), get all the reservations numbers and call up whomever one of you booked through and ask them to link the reservations.

With RCCL if you book early you are usually guaranteed of getting the lowest price. If the price drops at later date, you can usually call and get the lower price except for sale specials. But for Alaskan cruises, especially suites, the price usually does not drop but rather goes up and up.

When you book you will have to put a deposit down for each person in the room. The deposit for a 7 night cruise is $250 per person. It is refundable if you decide to cancel before final payment date. Final payment is usually due 60 to 70 days before the cruise.

If you want to see pictures click on the link in my signature.

Wow! That ship is gorgeous! I was thinking of the Radiance of the Seas, since it seemed to have something for everyone in the group to do, but maybe I should go with that one! You have a great looking family too. You must be so proud of them.

Wow! That ship is gorgeous! I was thinking of the Radiance of the Seas, since it seemed to have something for everyone in the group to do, but maybe I should go with that one!

The Radiance is the same class as the Serenade. There are only slight differences between the two ships (decor is the biggest). Choose your ship for itinerary. Radiance does the northbound/southbound cruises which would allow you to do a landtour before or after the cruise. Serenade does roundtrip cruises out of Vancouver which are perfect if you don't want to do a landtour or don't have time (airfare will be less expensive with a roundtrip).

When you book you will have to put a deposit down for each person in the room. The deposit for a 7 night cruise is $250 per person. It is refundable if you decide to cancel before final payment date. Final payment is usually due 60 to 70 days before the cruise.

Okay, I have to ask - What is Mustard of the Seas? If I do a cruise tour, is it more of a deposit? Is a cruise tour better?

How to explain the Mustard of the Seas? We're a group of posters from these boards that started talking over 2 years ago. We've gone on one cruise together and have another planned, plus several of us have met up face to face at different parts of the country and the world. We're a pretty fun bunch.

Whether a cruise tour is better depends on you. A cruise tour will allow you to see interior Alaska which is completely different than what you will see on the cruise. BUT there is still a lot to see and do on just the cruise if that is all you do. I think that there is more of a deposit for a cruisetour but I can't say for certain.

Hi-

I just read your original post and all the great suggestions- that royal family suite sounds wonderful! Our family, along with my brother's family, my brother-in-law and his friend, and my husband's cousin are all going on the Serenade this summer. We ended up booking a total of 4 rooms- each doing our own reservation- and have had RCI "link" them together- this way we will all be seated at the same table for dinner. We used an on-line travel agent that we have used in the past. The price of the cruise is the same as through RCI- however we are also getting $200 per room in OBC through the travel agent. You might want to look into options beside booking through RCI- we have been very happy using a travel agent.

-JC in CA

Archived