Anyone try Helment Driving in Bermuda?

smith-dave39

We did this back in '96 and loved it.

The dive lasts about 20 minutes. Assuming it hasn't changed, be prepared for a lot of sun. 4-6 groups go out on the boat and each group 'dives' in turn, with the others getting a nice tan (I don't remember any areas of shade on the boat.)

Just did it for the third time so that says something! I do not swim at all and it is great!

There are two companies who operate helmut diving in Bermuda. We have been with both and really felt 50/50 about who to take this last trip since both are very good.

Try it and enjoy!

Donna

We just got back from bermuda and did the helmet diving in St. George. It was something to do...we've snorkeled and scuba dived in the carribean and on Hawaii and thought this on the boring side compared with snorkeling. Its fun for kids and parents who love to swim and would like to try something different

I think we are talking about two different things in this post. Helmet diving is simply a helmet that you put over your head to go under water. You do not need scuba training, you can wear glasses, and your hair (and head) do not get wet. Here is a link to a couple who took a helmet dive in Bermuda.

HelmetDiving04.jpg

The initial poster might be referring to BOB underwater adventure. This is an underwater motorized scooter with an attached helmet that fits over your head while you zip along.

BOBjpeg.jpg

We were first exposed to BOB in St. Thomas. Here is the website.

I did the helmut dive in Bermuda and although it was cool I saw more fish when snorkeling. If you aren't a swimmer it is nice in that you are tethered to a boat with oxygen being pumped into your helmut.

How it works is you climb down the ladder to the water. The excursion people place the heavy helmut on your head and you sink to the bottom. The weight of the helmut is enough to send you down but the you don't feel the weight once in the water.

Oh, me, me, me, I want to answer this question, this was the first question I ever asked on Cruise Critic, I asked 3 times, no one answered me, I was so depressed, I almost didn't post again, but I've gotten over that, I've grown up, I'm a big boy now.......what was I talking about, I remember, the Helmet dive!

I asked this question 2 years ago, and no one answered me, but I'll answer you!

Me and the wifester (the wifester doesn't walk to well), did the helmet dive in Mexico, it was great, we both really enjoyed it, it was so much fun, the helmet weighs, like 5000 lbs, but they don't put it on you, until you're just getting in the water, so you don't feel the weight, until, you hit the bottom, then your feet plunge into the sand, then you're buried up to your knees, I'm just kidding!

It was great, I highly recommend it, you won't be disappointed!

Can you snorkel while the others are helmut diving? I did the BOB (Breathable Observation Bubble) In St. Thomas the first week of August and REALLY had a good time. I do have photos on my website, just follow the PHOTO page. There's a link on the first page.

The original poster referred to "Helment Driving". What is that??
I thought it was a mistype. Maybe it is diving with a cement helmet?

Oh yes, and helmut diving is the German equivalent where the helmet has a little iron spike on top (like the old WWI hemets......)

Archived