For gastric bypass patients

BarberGirl

I am getting ready to have my surgery sometime early next year. I just got back off of the Freedom for my first ever cruise and I could eat anything I wanted and as much as I wanted. Well when our next cruise comes up in October, I will be post op and won't be able to eat hardly anything. I'm sad just thinking about it knowing all the wonderful food and drinks they have on the ship.

My question is how do people that can't eat handle a cruise enviroment with all the food everywhere. I'm really worried about dealing with this, if I can deal with it. Thank you for any input!

I was 4 months post op on our first cruise/honeymoon. I had not really learned all the "rules". Remember, the surgery changes your stomach, not your brain. That part takes much more work.

You will find that your body will rebel when you eat too much. Good rule of thumb, stop BEFORE you feel full. If you wait until you feel full, it is too late. The food that's in your esophagus has to go into your tiny pouch and you will throw everything up.

Alcohol is another issue. When I get a drink, you know those fun, fruity, foo-foo drinks, I can drink about 1" worth. Remember, the alcohol does not stay in your stomach. It goes straight through to your intestines were it is immediately absorbed. It makes me sick if I drink more than that..

You have to remember all the things you gain from the surgery. If you are worried about what you are missing or are going to miss post surgery, you need to re-focus your attentions as to why you are having it. Food is still on my brain all the time, but I weigh 120 lbs less, wear a size 10, no more diabetes or high blood pressure. It's all worth it. You will be fine on the cruise.

My bypass sugery is 11/28 and I'm starting to get very scared. I'm scared of the surgery and also of my life afterwards. What if I regret it? What if I'm sick every day and can't eat anything w/o nausea? I'm cruising at the end of March. Hopefully, I will have lost some weight by then.

:( :( :(

harlekuin,

Thank you for your help. You are right and I know I'm doing this for the right reasons, I will just have to deal with life after surgery. I sure am not happy with things the way they are right now. I just wish I could find a happy medium, but for me there is no such place!

carmel,

Wow your surgery is getting close. By the time your cruise comes you will probably feel like a new person! Good luck on your surgery and keep us posted on how you are doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ladies, I was just turned down for gastric due to a leaking mitral value in my heart and my age.

My daughter who is 48 is 5 months post op and has gone from a size 24 to size 10, she has lost 110 lbs. She feels great and she has a small drink if she chooses usually vodka and crystal light for special things. She cooked for 42 on Thanksgiving and said having all the energy and being told she looks 35 is worth it all. She says sugar will bother her but eats most other things but sugar. I am so thrilled for her as is her husband and Dr.

So take heart and it will all be worth it. I so wish I could join you but being in my 60's and with my heart they said no go:( I am having my thyroid out and maybe then weight watchers will work again. I swear sometimes I think I have lost 2000 lbs. in my life time. But I have been blessed in all other ways and know I am not the one in control.

Have wonderful cruises and reward yourself with something nice with the money you would have spent on the foo-foo drinks.

Lois:D

Archived