connecting rooms on summit

suzsummit

I am in the planning stages for a Panama canal cruise in either April or May on X. I have a family of 5 -- kids ages 7, 10 and 12. We are looking at staying in a suite with a connecting room -- since this seems to be the only way to accomodate my family of 5. Wondering if the connecting celebrity suites would be best or a royal suite with a 1A connector. Although I am pushing for the penthouse with the Sky suite connector:).

Any advice or do any of the suites sleep 5 in comfort?

Another option for the kids is an inside room across the hall. Using a two way baby monitor takes care of the communication/monitoring issues. This is allowed by the cruise line as long as you register one adult in each room. Less expensive and more privacy.

If you want to and can do a suite with a connecting room, then I would go for it. We're hoping to be in a Royal Suite connecting to a regular cabin next summer. Just make sure that the connecting room can sleep three people - I'm assuming you would put the kids in the same room? Not all rooms have the third person option, but you should be able to tell from the deck plans. I would think any of the suites with a connecting room are plenty of room for your family. Another less expensive option, aside from what was mentioned above is just two connecting cabins (non-suite) - these are "scattered" throughout the ship. We were in two CC cabins on deck 9 last Spring and it worked fine for four of us. But, if I could, I'd certainly prefer the suite...

Suzsummit,

Judging from your screenname I'm wondering if you have a Summit preference? ;-)

If you're not inextricably tied to said vessel, consider the Infinity for your Canal cruise. There are several Cruise Critic members booked on the May 1-16, 2005 sailing, Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco. We offer you a hearty welcome to join us there!!

I believe this is the longest Canal sailing offered next spring. The itinerary is nicely divided, offering varied ports of call as well as optimal days at sea for luxurious relaxing & pampering.

Please join us, if you can.

Sincerely,

CM

Thanks for the tip on the Infinity on May 1st. We have been spoiled by veranda on the Disney ships so we are set on a veranda. I also get motion sick and we found that having the veranda helps... A LOT! Also with 14 days of 5 people we want to be comfortable that's why we are springing for the suite. It should give us some privacy too.

Is anyone, who is already signed up, bringing kids on the May 1st cruise? My kids are homeschooled so we are avoiding that summer crunch also I can just as well teach them on a cruise ship as I could at home.

ps -- the name suzsummit comes from living on the summit of a mountain I didn't realize the relationship with the cruise....:p

If you are talking penthouse suites it seems you've the resources to do anything you want. We've done the Summit in adjoining veranda cabins and it was VERY nice.

We also did SUmmit with the kids in an inside accross the passageway from the parent's veranda. We've dome that on other ships too. It works out OK. Naturally, adjoining verandas are preferable (but more $) .

CAVEAT: Across the passageway on SUmmit or other M class... There is only one interior row of cabins and they ARE NOT across the way from the next number. In other words, one Vista or Panarama passageway has interior cabin entry and the other does not. The line's staff apparently have no clue! They are the odd numbered cabins!

Having expressly requested (and listened in on the TA phone confirmation) that we have cabins across the way, the line booked us in 7118 and 7119. WRONG! These are in separate passageways. The proper booking should have been 7117 and 7119. The ship board hotel staff refused to lift a finger to straighten out this potentially ruinous situation. As you can tell, It P*sses my off to this day. Fortunately, the County Engineer for Napa Valley Ca. (in 7117) was an Aces empathetic guy, willing to repack and move his family to 7118 when I asked (with my hat in my hand and a desperate look). Hotel management not only would assist, they wouldn't even give this generous fellow a minor cabin credit for spending a couple of embarkation hours straightening out the line's mess (card acccounts had to be switched out, etc.) When I pushed them the following day, they finally claimed to have sent champagne and a fruit basket (but when I ran into the fellow later, he acknowledged a fruit basket - no champagne). What a cheez-wiz attitude! That was my first cruise with Celeb and almost my last; obviously they've redeemed themself in performance since then - but it was a BAD first impression... Celeb's reservation people aren't the sharpest (heck even the onboard hotel staff didn't appreciate the numbering problem until it was explained to them)...

I done venting :) Enjoy the Summit! They did a LOT better second go round!

suzsummit....

I would recommend the RS with a connecting cat 1A. Put all three children in the 1A. This way...you will fully enjoy the RS...without the living room being a bedroom (at night and in the morning).

We have done the RS several times...with two children. The Cabin Steward will come in while you are at dinner...and make up the bed in the living room (sofa bed).

We have learned to ask them to please not do it that early....

It works ok...but on a few nights, one of my daughters wanted to go to bed...and the bed was not made up.

No biggie...really.

If you can afford the two cabins, it would be a real treat.

Archived