First time cruising...not too happy about the idea

mcamp

my wife wants to go, and I'm not too happy about the idea.

To be honest, I have no desire to go on a cruise.

Crusing isn't for everyone and since its her family event its ok for you to stay home and let her go and enjoy some time with her folks. Then you can go and book one of those Eco Challenge trips.

First of all, you don't know me....secondly, why should anyone have to "suck it up" on vacation, while spending at least $4000.

After reading more, I guess I will come out and say it, You are one special person!, you only have one family and one life time, all you care about is 4000.00. I guess you need to be in a life/death situation to open up your eyes and really appreciate your immediate family. I hate to be your wife and kids. I used to be you and I hated myself. Lifes to short to grip over money.

Fred

First of all, you don't know me....secondly, why should anyone have to "suck it up" on vacation, while spending at least $4000.

Please tell me the name of the resort, I can go on the Inspiration for 4 pp in an ocean view cabin at regular price for next December and the price will be $1308 total, thats $81.25 per person per day.

If i can find an AI resort cheaper than that.....I'm going!

My Ex sounded just like you. He took me on one for my delayed graduation from Collage. (30+ with three DDs later.) He was hooked and couldn't wait to go on another (just with someone 20:D ) My current DH also sounded like you and the EX. But, he loved the cruise and going with ME.

That said, the DH loves being on the cruise but, doesn't cruise as much as me as he doesn't like leaving the care of our 4 legged kids to others. But, when he does vacation it is on a cruise.

But, aside from the above. Speaking as a wife, if she would really like to do this with here family, you should allow her to have the familey time. You'll make her happy and a ship is a big place, you can always find something to do away from the family.

My wife's relatives wants us to go on a cruise as kind of a family reunion thing.

They are planning to go on the Inspiration (Carnival) for the five day cruise out of Tampa (December 2008)....my wife wants to go, and I'm not too happy about the idea.

To be honest, I have no desire to go on a cruise.

Myself, I enjoy going somewhere and exploring. Spending a day or less at a port doesn't seem to adventurous.

As far as value is concerned, it also seems over priced compared to staying at an AI resort in the Caribbean...am I wrong here...being that alchohol is not included.

Well, I'm going to do my best to talk my wife out of this, unless someone here can give me some good reason why cruises are so great.

I must say, I was sort of in your shoes a few months back. My husband's parents will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary next year, and to celebrate, they are taking us all on a cruise. Though through their generosity, I am able to go on my very first cruise, I must admit that the idea didn't thrill me in the least. Being stuck on a ship with 2,999 other people that I cannot get off of at my very whim, factor in possible norovirus, seasickness, family mutiny, complete and utter boredom, breaking :pa leg ziplining in Roatan... the possibilities are endless. Didn't want to go.

Well, 50 days from now, I will be aboard the Valor, and now that I am used to (resigned to?) the fact that I WILL be on that ship, it isn't so bad. When I was younger (I am 43), I took every opportunity possible to experience new things. Years of child-rearing and practicality have more or less washed that sense of adventure out of my being, and gosh golly, I'm going to get it back! I'll try cruising. If I don't like it, I won't go again. If I DO like it, then my husband can blame his parents for making me a junkie!!! :p

Give it a try, you might like it too!

Can't believe this post is still going 1 QUESTION....AFTER ALL THIS HAVE YOU DECIDED IF YOU ARE GOING...the opinions of the people on the board is crystal clear..... 1. Try it... You might like it or at least you will know.

2. Do it for your wife because you Love her

OR....

3. AND last IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GO

TELL HER YOU LOVE HER and TO GO AND HAVE A GOOD TIME.

My DH was the same way but I had him ask the guys he works with if any of them had ever been on a cruise and several of them had and told him how much they liked so he decided to give it a try. (Men have to here it from another man not a woman telling him it will be fun for gods sakes) Well needless to say he loved it now he tells everyone else they should go. But I am the one who plans and books them and I am a "clearance rack queen" so there is now way that I would ever pay $4000 for a 5 day cruise. So I do not blame you for that and I wouldn't go for it either. We take our kids out once a year to go when it is cheaper. I figure and so do most of there teachers that they are learning from visiting other places. I work 3 part time jobs to pay for our cruises and I just booked a 7 day on NCL for Spring Break time in April for all 4 of us, in 2 cabins on deck 7 for $1300.00. Plus I am going with a friend in January on a 5 day in an oceanview cabin on Royal Caribbean even and it was only $336.74 plus $209.60 for my flight. So its to bad that you guys couldn't go at a different time when it would be less money for your first cruise experience and would be alot less stressful. I hope it all works out ok for you and your family.

Archived