Scuba Referral in Belize

w&k

Dive review – SeaSports Belize, Belize

April 27, 2005 (RCCL Splendour of the Seas)

Rating of 1-5 stars:

Overall *****

People *****

Equipment **** (no shade)

Diving ***** (Shark Chute ***** 61ft/54min Mermaid’s Castle ***** 54ft/48min)

SeaSport Belize will DEFINITELY be my contacted operation when diving Belize again.

Personal dive biases: I am a Floridian with >300 dives, certification through rescue. My diving experience has been under all sorts of conditions, but I no longer dive rough, deep or cold water (why bother?), and avoid weekend warriors whenever possible. My diving preference is drifting on reefs, and I have been known to bring home a bug or two.

I got the tip on SeaSports Belize from the Cruise Critic Scuba and Snorkeling and Port boards. The website http://www.seasportsbelize.com was clean and functional. My E-mail was answered promptly and courteously by Linda. We reserved the spots for our group of 4, and we were able to get PayPal requests for credit card payment to the members of our party. However, it does take 4 divers to initiate a reservation for diving. After a couple of tries on my balky and slow internet connection, I was able to retrieve my confirmation E-mail, which had instructions and a map to the shop. My booking was very early, so I sent a couple of confirmation E-mails during the wait for our trip. Linda also let me know that we had 4 more divers coming from our ship, and she graciously passed my E-mail address to them.

We made it off the ship early, to discover that the time was, yet again, an hour earlier on the ship than on land. We exited the terminal, followed the road around to the left, down the block, and around the corner to SeaSports Belize’s shop, about 12 minutes of brisk walk. Some enterprising taxi drivers had offered to take us there for $2 each at the terminal exit. Next time I will take them up on it because the road is rough, and we were sweating hard after hauling our gear in humid 90+ (vacation, remember?).

We filled out paperwork, set up the first tank, and got our weights together in the back of the shop. Two of the 8 regs had a little bit of free-flow, so one of the shop gentlemen took them in the back, and managed to adjust one of them.

The boats were loaded up, and when lunch arrived, we headed out into the beautiful blue water, with Captain Paul and Divemaster Myron, who gave us a running travelogue and commentary on the building, rebuilding, and the boats and people we were passing.

The boat was narrow, comfy for our 8 divers once we got the dive bags stacked in the stern, and very fast (27-30 feet?). Unfortunately, there was no shade on the boat we were on, so take your hat! Luckily, we noticed this while in the shop, so I immediately put on my skins and everyone gooped. Better hot than burnt.

Dive #1 – Shark Chute. When we got set on the first site, Divemaster Myron gave us a little history on the site and a thorough briefing on the structure, and what we would be seeing, and let us know he would be writing names of the critters on his slate. Some of the divers had never done a back-roll before, and he took plenty of time to get them comfortable. Paul set a tag line on the surface, and we joined up and headed down. Beautiful coral, lots and lots of critters. The biggest ray I have ever seen (>6’ across!) was lying on the bottom between 2 coral fingers. He was unconcerned as I floated gently down to the sand in front of him, taking pictures. When the whole group came to take a look, he fluttered gently off down the reef. Lots of coral babies hanging on the side of the fingers, and lots of my favorite fluorescent blue sponges. Reef finger height was in the 20-30 foot range.

For the surface interval, we pulled up to a fisherman’s island where they were rebuilding lobster traps. There was an old piece of whale skeleton, and the Flintstone’s gym. The fishermen come out for a week at a time on the fishing off-season to rebuild traps. We had Subway sandwiches (mine was Turkey), chips, and a variety of sodas for lunch, with candy bars and fruit available as well. We passed a fun hour chatting to the fishermen and the divers from SeaSports boat #2, who arrived about 15 minutes after us.

Dive #2 – Mermaid’s Castle. A top 10 dive. Basically, a soft coral garden! Absolutely beautiful corals and huggable barrel sponges. Took some of my favorite pictures ever off the edges. Lobsters, Lobsters, Lobsters got the butter craving going again. Cool gastropod egg case, other oddities, and lots of fish, especially small tropicals. When the sun finally came out, we went from a cool blue paradise to an explosion of color. Myron found a pencil for his slate this time, and named everything within sight. Fabulous!

Back on the boat, we packed up the gear bags, and were dropped off directly to the ship, which saved us the walk and the hassle of tendering back in.

Awesome! Fabulous! We shall return!

Wendy

Check out some photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Thanks Wendy. I'll be cruise diving in Belize in December and am currently looking for a dive shop. Your review was excellent and certainly will help me determining who to dive with.

Jerry

Rick-

I don't really remember exactly, but I'm going to estimate that we rode out about 15-20 minutes at the most. I think we were back on-board the ship about 2pm, but will have to check that out with DH.

We were dropped back at the ship, and had plenty of time for a 'gear and beer' on the pool deck and a shower before early dinner.

If you were thinking about going back to town, you would have enough time for a quick look-around.

Have a great time!

Wendy

Rick-

I don't really remember exactly, but I'm going to estimate that we rode out about 15-20 minutes at the most. I think we were back on-board the ship about 2pm, but will have to check that out with DH.

We were dropped back at the ship, and had plenty of time for a 'gear and beer' on the pool deck and a shower before early dinner.

If you were thinking about going back to town, you would have enough time for a quick look-around.

Have a great time!

Wendy

Thanks Wendy!;)

I just got a message from Linda, and the boat now has a custom cover, so there is now shade.

Also, we're going again on September 13th from the Glory - anyone want to join us?

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Wendy,

Just scanning through your Belize diving pictures and saw Myron's fin. The same divemaster I met on my excursion. Very very fun guy, I think you would agree! I remember his fin because he has his name written on the bottom....:)

• 2 years later...

My daughter and I will be on the NCL Spirit arriving in Belize on Nov. 22nd. and are looking to do our open water certification on a referral. Does anyone have a suggestion for a great dive shop that can work with our referral and our cruise schedule without going through the ship and cruise crowds? Is there a big difference in the quality of the dives between flying to San Pedro/Ambergris Caye or just taking the short boat trip to the reef from Belize City?

My daughter and I will be on the NCL Spirit arriving in Belize on Nov. 22nd. and are looking to do our open water certification on a referral. Does anyone have a suggestion for a great dive shop that can work with our referral and our cruise schedule without going through the ship and cruise crowds? Is there a big difference in the quality of the dives between flying to San Pedro/Ambergris Caye or just taking the short boat trip to the reef from Belize City?

We really like taking the short flight from Belize Municipal airport ( about 1/2 what it cost to use the Belize International Airport and they are all on the same 15-20 minute flights) to San Pedro on Tropic Air http://www.tropicair.com/reservations/Flightschedule.cfm and we dive with Ambergris Divers http://www.ambergrisdivers.com/CONTACT.htm while there (there are many other dive shops on Ambergris Caye we just like this one, but I'm sure a lot of the others are also good ones). They are about 3 blocks from the small airport an easy walk or get a golf cart taxi. Both the airline and dive shop are very professional. It cost about the same as the two tank dive the ship offers and is a lot better day. You might want to be sure to contact which ever dive shop you choose and set the referral up in advance.

Also just let the pilot know on your return flight that you have been diving that morning and he will keep the flight below 1000 feet. (and please post a report to let us know how it all goes, thanks.)

Also just my opinion but Roatan or Cozumel might be easier to do a referral from a cruise ship and Cozumel has at least 100 shops to choose from My personal favorite is Dive With Martin but again there are many really good operators on this island.

We have been diving three times in Belize - the first time with the ship, then twice more with John & Linda at SeaSports Belize. They are great folks, and the diving was beautiful!

Have a great time!

Here's a link to their page about diving from a cruise. http://www.seasportsbelize.com/cruiseshipdiving.html

Also, here's a link to my review on this board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=179208

Wendy

pix

http:/community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

We really like taking the short flight from Belize Municipal airport ( about 1/2 what it cost to use the Belize International Airport and they are all on the same 15-20 minute flights) to San Pedro on Tropic Air http://www.tropicair.com/reservations/Flightschedule.cfm and we dive with Ambergris Divers http://www.ambergrisdivers.com/CONTACT.htm while there (there are many other dive shops on Ambergris Caye we just like this one, but I'm sure a lot of the others are also good ones). They are about 3 blocks from the small airport an easy walk or get a golf cart taxi. Both the airline and dive shop are very professional. It cost about the same as the two tank dive the ship offers and is a lot better day. You might want to be sure to contact which ever dive shop you choose and set the referral up in advance.

Also just let the pilot know on your return flight that you have been diving that morning and he will keep the flight below 1000 feet. (and please post a report to let us know how it all goes, thanks.)

Also just my opinion but Roatan or Cozumel might be easier to do a referral from a cruise ship and Cozumel has at least 100 shops to choose from My personal favorite is Dive With Martin but again there are many really good operators on this island.

Thank you Diverearl! I spoke to Roger at Dive with Martin (a great help!) in case we can get an afternoon dive in Cozumel. I realize that a Belize dive is a bit more effort to pull off, but the problem is, we are going with our large family and have another activity scheduled in Roatan and a morning one in Cozumel.

• 3 weeks later...

Wendy & Keith,

I'm trying to decide which dive op to use in Belize. Either Seasports or Hugh Parkey w/the ship. Everyone seems complimentary of the Hugh Parkey operation and the added convenience. Although HP takes more divers they say they divide them up by experience level with dif dive masters. How did that work out? I know HP goes to Turneffe Atoll and Seasports says Barrier Reef, which sounds pretty generic to me. Since it seems both dive ops are good, I'm wondering which of these dive spots you considered to be better and why? Coral, Fish, current, vis etc. Thanks for your help!

I really appreciate your throrough review. I posted reply to you on another thread about choosing between Seasports and Hugh Parkey. Sounds like you saw a lot of great stuff on these dives with SS. Wondered how it compared to Turneffe Atoll coral/sealife. Glad to know there is a cheap taxi available to ride to Seasports if needed. Sounds like the inconvenience of tendering & getting to dive shop one way is worth it for fewer divers, but my question is are the dive sites also better in your opinion. It's also quite a bit cheaper than cruise excursion.

Pamawi-

The first time we went to Belize, we took the ship's excursion through the shorex (Hugh Parkey's) and it was just fine...but very pricey.

For our second trip, I had reserved the shorex again, but the system canceled it way beforehand for some strange reason. I then looked around and found SeaSports. The review above was from that first trip.

So when we went back to Belize...we booked SeaSports again because we had such a good time and great dives.

The walk to the shop was much shorter the second time - the end of the tourist section was open, and we were not forced to walk all the way down, back, and back again to go through all the little shops - much shorter. We also bought a couple of mesh-type backpacks to tote gear, and that works much better for us than the huge rolling dive bag.

The above being said, there was absolutely nothing wrong with our shorex trip. The dives we did with the shorex were at an atoll, and showed definite signs of 'diver wear'. I would suspect that they have a few sites they circulate for these trips, so they get worn down after a bit.

SeaSports usually dives the inshore reef, and I found it to be virtually untouched, with teeming life of all kinds. As far as I know, SeaSports is the only one that dives the closer reefs, and I found them to be extremely complex and diverse - MUCH more so than the sites we visited on the atoll (and I'm a biologist, by the way). Of course, six dives is not a comprehensive survey, and I'm sure you can find good diving anywhere in Belize. It's more of the difference between good, great and outstanding.

The smaller group is also an advantage. I hung out at a cleaning station with a barracuda getting his teeth done, and spent some time in a current shadow just hanging out watching all the little critters go about their business. I also couldn't resist teasing some territorial blennies to see their displays (they defend 'their' rock).

Linda and John at SeaSports are absolutely wonderful folks, and I would only dive with someone else if they were not available. Wonderful folks, better diving, MUCH better price.

We have been diving off Southern Caribbean itineraries for the last couple of years, but hope to get back to Belize next year...and we'll be diving with SeaSports when we do.

I hope that answers your questions.

Have a great time wherever you dive!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Pamawi-

Well, there is no doubt that Belize City is not one of the most scenic places in the world, but I did not feel threatened in any way, and found that the folks we encountered were very friendly and eager to point us in the correct direction for the dive shop.

On another trip to Belize we were not able to dive as I had just come off a really bad bout of bronchitis and pnuemonia, and Keith had recently sprained an ankle - so we decided to go cave tubing instead. We went with a local operation and met some of the nicest folks we have ever encountered.

However, I would do the typical things - pay attention to the folks around you, and not wandering off alone somewhere that looks icky.

Have a great time, and please tell them that Wendy & Keith from Florida say Hi!

Wendy

I get the impression that Seasports uses small boats since you mentioned in another post that backroll entry was required. What is the shade and bathroom situation? I'm guessing none. I don't think I even saw a pic of their boat(s) on the website. Is there a ladder to get back on the boat and do you take off your gear and hand it up before climbing the ladder.

I read about the mangroves near the Turneffe Atoll. Did that make for some interesting juvenile sealife? I didn't notice any pics for Turneffe on your site.

What has me a bit concerned about Seasports in their strict cancellation policy. They want all the money now and our cruise isn't until Mid-Feb. In Roatan, Subway only wanted $20 deposit. You never know when you might have cold/sinus problems develop a week or two out and shouldn't dive. The ship has a liberal policy of 3 days for full refund and you get most of your money back if you cancel 24 hours out. On that trip when you were sick, had you arranged diving with Seasports and had to cancel? If so, did you get your money back?

Pamawi-

Yes, the boat is relatively small. (Actually, you will find that most of the recommendations on this board are for small boats) I am going to guess it's about 28-30 ft, and very comfortable. The divers are up front, with seats along both sides, and one in front of the console. There is a large bimini-type cover that gives shade from the very front all the way back including the console.

In contrast, the boat we had from Hugh Parkey's was about a 35-40 foot cigarette-type hull, where the front was enclosed, and the back open to the sun (I sweated it out up front in the shade).

Gear is set up inside the shop, and the captain and divemaster tote it out to the boat for you. When everyone is ready, the gear will be put up and held for you, so all you have to do is shrug in and flip over.

Getting back on the boat is easy - just strip off your gear and pass it up, and it's an easy climb up the ladder. I'm on the far side of 40, with a bad knee and plenty of lard on the rump, so if I can make it up fine, anyone can.

About the deposit - a lot of smaller operations have a large or full deposit - unfortunately, there are some folks that make reservations and don't show up. I don't know what to tell you for that... you'll have to E-mail Linda.

I have only had to cancel once on a dive trip (Keith picked up a terrible cold, and I was locked up as well), and it was an operator we had been out with several times on Aruba, so we had no problem.

There are no pics for Turneffe on my website because I had not yet bought a camera. The trip I when I was sick before we went, I had not set up any dives or excursions in advance since it was a X-mas cruise.

Don't worry about the deposit - go and have fun!

Wendy

Paid for it today. Thanks for your advice. I'm really looking forward to it. Roatan is booked to, now I have to decide what to do in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Got any suggestions. I've spent a week in Cozumel diving and loved it but thought I should consider seeing Mayan ruins or Cenote snorkel (cenote scuba dive isn't available due to late arrival) since I'm diving in other ports and will probably make it back to Cozumel in the future. As for GC, I've done stingray sandbar before and trying to decide if I should do stingray dive, wall dive, shore dive, snorkel or just relax on the beach. What do you recommend.

In Grand Cayman, my choice is to go with Casey & Keith at Neptune's divers. http://www.neptunesdivers.com/

Gotta run at the moment, but you can search this board for my review, and you will find that Neptune's is a well-reccomended operation. I also have photos posted from our dives with them.

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Paid for it today. Thanks for your advice. I'm really looking forward to it. Roatan is booked to, now I have to decide what to do in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Got any suggestions. I've spent a week in Cozumel diving and loved it but thought I should consider seeing Mayan ruins or Cenote snorkel (cenote scuba dive isn't available due to late arrival) since I'm diving in other ports and will probably make it back to Cozumel in the future. As for GC, I've done stingray sandbar before and trying to decide if I should do stingray dive, wall dive, shore dive, snorkel or just relax on the beach. What do you recommend.

We too were looking at the Cenote Scuba, and have had trouble getting a straight answer out of shore excursions about why it isn't posted on our cruise. I contacted Abyss Dive Center, in Playa Del Carmen, and we are doing a private cenote scuba with them. We decided if time gets too short, we will only have 1 dive.

We are going with the recommended Neptune Divers in GC, our first trip with them. They have good things said about the outfit on these boards.

We too were looking at the Cenote Scuba, and have had trouble getting a straight answer out of shore excursions about why it isn't posted on our cruise. I contacted Abyss Dive Center, in Playa Del Carmen, and we are doing a private cenote scuba with them. We decided if time gets too short, we will only have 1 dive.

We are going with the recommended Neptune Divers in GC, our first trip with them. They have good things said about the outfit on these boards.

When are you cruising on on what ship. I'll be on Carnival Legend Feb 17th. Wonder if you are diving in Roatan and Belize and with who? Maybe we'll see ya'll. Did you have to have minimum number to do private cenote scuba?

You are about 1 month after our cruise.

In Belize we are using Carnival, they were the only ones who would take us to an Atoll. The other dive shops said it was too far away. It is about 45 to 1 hour boat ride from the ship. We looked in to the short flight and scuba from the island that some others have talked about. However, my DH is a private pilot, and we both thought we would be nervous about the flight. Sometimes too much knowledge works against you. Not to say they don't operate a safe outfit, we don't know.

In Roatan we aren't diving. We are with some other family members and are doing a group outing that day.

Archived