Paradise Beach and Chankanaab Park

Bigtrox82

Hi everyone,

I'm sure our question might have been asked at one point in time but I don't have the patience or time to search endlessly for the answer. So I was hoping maybe a couple seasoned veterans might be able to give me a non bias answer.

My Fiance(22), myself(25) and my parents(both 59) will be heading to Mexico via Carnival Freedom Dec.8 out of Miama. We have decided to do excursions w/ Carnival in The Grand Caymans and Jamacia. However since we are docked in Mexico from 8am-10pm I made the suggestion after reading more about Cozumel that we venture out on our own and take it in at our own pace. No worries on missing the ship since we are there for a while. I have done my research on both Paradise Beach and Chankanaab Park sites. I know the price difference and how much to expect for taxi fare. However both places claim that there place is better.

My mother and fiance are for Paradise Beach and my father is for Chankanaab Park. What we are looking for is the better of the two for snorkeling. Followed by fun and relaxation w/ some good drink prices. Of the two Paradise Beach looks like it has more to offer for the young at heart w/ the water toys as well as places for my mother to relax on the beach and read. However my dad and I are looking for good snorkeling. We have been told Cozumel is the place for snorkeling and we'd like to go to place where we would have a better chance of seeing some good things. Both places seem to have the same thing to offer except Paradise Beach has the water toys. Anyone who can help out and tell us which of the two would be a better choice(snorkeling mainly) and why please feel free to throw in your two cents. *** Also we have been told both places close at sunset I believe. If anyone has any suggestions for dining and places to visit near the port please include that as well.

Thanks in advance,

John

Hi everyone,

I'm sure our question might have been asked at one point in time but I don't have the patience or time to search endlessly for the answer. So I was hoping maybe a couple seasoned veterans might be able to give me a non bias answer.

My Fiance(22), myself(25) and my parents(both 59) will be heading to Mexico via Carnival Freedom Dec.8 out of Miama. We have decided to do excursions w/ Carnival in The Grand Caymans and Jamacia. However since we are docked in Mexico from 8am-10pm I made the suggestion after reading more about Cozumel that we venture out on our own and take it in at our own pace. No worries on missing the ship since we are there for a while. I have done my research on both Paradise Beach and Chankanaab Park sites. I know the price difference and how much to expect for taxi fare. However both places claim that there place is better.

My mother and fiance are for Paradise Beach and my father is for Chankanaab Park. What we are looking for is the better of the two for snorkeling. Followed by fun and relaxation w/ some good drink prices. Of the two Paradise Beach looks like it has more to offer for the young at heart w/ the water toys as well as places for my mother to relax on the beach and read. However my dad and I are looking for good snorkeling. We have been told Cozumel is the place for snorkeling and we'd like to go to place where we would have a better chance of seeing some good things. Both places seem to have the same thing to offer except Paradise Beach has the water toys. Anyone who can help out and tell us which of the two would be a better choice(snorkeling mainly) and why please feel free to throw in your two cents. *** Also we have been told both places close at sunset I believe. If anyone has any suggestions for dining and places to visit near the port please include that as well.

Thanks in advance,

John

Welcome to CruiseCritic John.

Some people here might get a bit turned off and less willing to help when you start your very first post by saying something to the effect of "I'm too lazy to search for the answer, but help me anyway". ;) :D

We'll be making our first visit to Cozumel Dec 1st, returning Dec 3rd, so I should have time to report current conditions on this board in time for you to see it before you leave. We're planning on visiting Paradise Beach for the day. From all I've read here on both places, you'll have a blast with either one, I wouldn't worry that you might be missing something better at the spot you skip.

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

John

For snorkeling definately Chankanaab. You will see some amazing fish there on the reefs. I just got back and have been there 3 times and loved it every time.They have a gold virgin mary underwater as well. Saw some big lobsters!! my daughter had a blast watching the people swim with the Dolphins there and there are nice relaxing chairs under thatched roofs to read. Also a pool and a low area cove for Moms and kids.We also ate at the restaurant on the beach. I had chicken tacos, real Mexican ones and it was really good. Good drinks also...just make sure you tell them to let you *taste* the liquor if you like yours strong. Sit in your chair and the waiters will come serve you. Nice people and not pushy at all. have a blast!! Send me your email address and i will send you some pics

wells-karen@sbcglobal.net

Welcome to CruiseCritic John.

Some people here might get a bit turned off and less willing to help when you start your very first post by saying something to the effect of "I'm too lazy to search for the answer, but help me anyway". ;) :D quote]

It was meant to be a joke.:rolleyes: I've searched the post going back about 2 years but after the hurricanes that just went through the area I was hoping to get a more updated idea of which is in better shape and if there have been any improvements. Post from 3yrs ago are helpful but might have changed just a bit:p . Thankyou for the welcome. Glad to be here w/ you fine cruising folks. :D

It was meant to be a joke.:rolleyes: I've searched the post going back about 2 years but after the hurricanes that just went through the area I was hoping to get a more updated idea of which is in better shape and if there have been any improvements. Post from 3yrs ago are helpful but might have changed just a bit:p . Thankyou for the welcome. Glad to be here w/ you fine cruising folks. :D

I suspected as much, hence my ;) :D .

21 days from now I'll be climbing back aboard the ship after a day on Paradise Beach.

Ahhhhhhhhhh :)

Paradise Beach is one of my favorite places in the world, but it is not a good place to snorkel. If snorkeling is very important, and I think it might be by the number of times you mentioned it,;) Chankanaab would suit everyone better.

If you look here, you can even get a discount coupon for admission.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/

Now, I don't mean to throw a monkey wrench into your plans but....Grand Cayman is THE place to snorkel in the Caribbean. We're a snorkeling-crazy family, and we've been to most of the islands. Cozumel's snorkeling is pitiful compared to Grand Cayman. (St. John's up there too, but you're not going there.)

In Grand Cayman there are many great places to snorkel from the beach--reefs, caves and even shipwrecks! And just off the beach is a reef wall loaded with fish and coral that streches for miles. I'd do a beach day at Coz and serious snorkeling at GC!

abitaturbodog,

If we were to walk off the ship and snorkel in Cayman, where would you say is the best spot for people who have snorkeled several times, but by no means are experts?

We have already done Stingray City and want an on our own kind of day.

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

John

The perfect solution would be to have Paradise Tom arrange a private snorkel tour to the 2 reefs for a couple of hours and then spend the rest of the day relaxing at Paradise Beach. Not certain what the minimum number of folks are for such ...

Paradise Beach has a pier where the snorkeling tour would pick you up and bring you back. Some folks we know have a group that is doing this. But not all of their group is going snorkeling. Some are going to stay at PB with the kids while the rest of the group snorkels.

If you don't have enough folks to do that, then Chankanaab Park will be better than snorkeling from the beach.

A friend of mine who has snorkeled all over the Caribbean said in Cozumel, the snorkeling areas rate as:

1st choice : reefs

2nd choice: CP

3rd choice: snorkeling from the beach

Personally, I prefer to sit in the shade and be pampered!! :)

Haven't been to PB in 2 years, but there used to be a snorkel boat that would pick you up from the pier. I thought I heard they were no longer doing that. So can you now arrange this again?

Our first time in Coz, my DH & a friend did an intro to scuba which dropped them off at PB, that was great, since the girls were already there having a great time in Paradise!

The perfect solution would be to have Paradise Tom arrange a private snorkel tour to the 2 reefs for a couple of hours and then spend the rest of the day relaxing at Paradise Beach.

Anyone know Paradise Tom's email address to get in contact w/ him?

Archived