Cave Tubing in December

arteach

My family and I plan to go cave tubing in late December and are a little concerned how cold the water might be. I understand that the river is spring fed. Will the water temperature in conjunction with the air temperature make for a comfortable experience or can we expect it to be a chilly ride?

We did this last December. The water is chilly, but I really only noticed it when I first got in. You kind of go, "YIkes", then get used to it quickly and forget about it. BTW, I hate cold water and am very sensitive to it. Here on our lake, I seldom go in until July and 80+ water temps.

I'd say the river water was around 70-72. Just a guess, though. If I didn't find it too bad, most people wouldn't either. The air temp. was around 80 the day we went. I didn't feel chilly at all on the ride.

My family and I plan to go cave tubing in late December and are a little concerned how cold the water might be. I understand that the river is spring fed. Will the water temperature in conjunction with the air temperature make for a comfortable experience or can we expect it to be a chilly ride?

Sorry I was unable to answer this post or several others for sometime, but due to a recent back injury, I was out of the game for a few weeks...... I feel that as an avid and self proclaimed cavetubing enthusiast, I can answer your questions fairly easily and perhaps set your mind at ease.

December water temps WILL BE CHILLY.....and it will be most noteable when first entering the water !!! But after a little time, your body will adjust to the temperature soon. I would suggest wearing a tshirt when in the caves as this will help retain body heat. Believe it or not, when going thru the rain forest, you will get warm and the refreshing water when arriving at the cave entrances will then be more enjoyable AFTER the first few minutes !

Make sure to bring insect repellant containing DEET as those bugs can be annoying.

Have a great tour and make sure you check out the opinions of other posters on the Belize Boards regarding who to choose if going thru an independant tour operator. There are couple operators here mentioned and come HIGHLY suggested... weigh out all the positive and negative reviews and I think you can make the best choice based on your personal needs. DO NOT ALWAYS LOOK AT THE LOWEST PRICE......SERVICE should be an issue regarding response to your questions along with payment and cancellation policies, # of caves toured, lunch provisions, etc.....

Careful research and use of the boards here on cruise critic will help in making a wise decision on whom you choose to book your tour with.

Have a GREAT cave tubing experience and let us know if you have more questions !

You guys are great. Thanks for the info. We've scheduled a trip for cave tubing. The tour operator said to be sure and bring a "blow torch to melt the icebergs." lol. I know I must sound like a wimp, but I love to be warm.

Can someone tell me if in December the caves will feel claustrophobic with the water levels. Can you always see through the caves, or is there periods of time in total darkness?

Dec. timeline really is not a point of darkness in caves but there are a couple spots where it is VERY DARK no matter what time of year or water level, but with the lighting each guest is provided, there is ample light to see where you are going. I never have had a problem with claustropohbia in the caves at different times of the year.... always seemd the same to me.

Perhaps this picture will set your mind at ease. I got in contact with my guide who said the caves were cavernous, and would not present a closed-in feeling at all. The cave's entrance is about 70 feet up. The caves remain basically cavernous all through to the end. I don't think you should worry about being claustrophobic. It is going to be a blast!

1154232511_BelizeCave.jpg.6e0e27a61630eadd8d535fc53ae54c72.jpg

Archived