1 Day Rental Car in Miami

CardinalPilot

Upon return from our cruise next month we are staying the rest of the day and flying out the next day. I'd like to rent a car for just one day to check out Miami while we're there.

Does anyone know if there are rental agencies there at the Port, or will they deliver a car there to you?

Thanks!

I was thinking of renting a car (minivan) for the 6 of us when we return to the Port of Miami and fly out of Ft. Lauderdale later in the afternoon. I thought at least this way, we could drive back up to Ft. Lauderdale and grab some lunch at our leisure instead of being stuck in the airport for 5+ hours.

Has anyone done this?? or have any suggestions?

I was thinking of renting a car (minivan) for the 6 of us when we return to the Port of Miami and fly out of Ft. Lauderdale later in the afternoon. I thought at least this way, we could drive back up to Ft. Lauderdale and grab some lunch at our leisure instead of being stuck in the airport for 5+ hours.

Has anyone done this?? or have any suggestions?

I did exactly this after my Oct. 20 cruise a few weeks back. For two of us, it was cheaper than doing the Carnival transfer or a taxi. Pretty easy. Reserved from Alamo online before we left. The confirmation they sent told us that there would be a shuttle at the port to pick us up. After we got through customs, we just asked the first employee where to go catch the shuttle and it was there within 5-10 minutes. The drive up to the airport was really simple too. We had thought about trying to drive around Fort Lauderdale before our 3 pm flight, but since we had no idea where to go and we found the airport fairly quickly, we just decided not to risk getting lost and went straight there. I wish we would have known where we were going so that we could find a restaurant in FL as the terminal we ended up waiting for our flight in had one choice for lunch. Wasn't bad, but would have like a couple more options. My suggestion would just be to figure out what area of FL you would like to go to before hand and mapquest it. I normally do this, but just happened to not do it this time! Hope that helps!

We have done this many times. Always use Thrifty because we found out that if you sign up in advance for their "Blue Chip" member plan you get to wait in a different line to get car. It saves tons of time when they are really busy and just seems to give you much better service when they are not.

We always choose a convertible as it makes it feel more "vacation like". They have smaller trunks but we travel very light.

No charge to sign up for blue chip.

Upon return from our cruise next month we are staying the rest of the day and flying out the next day. I'd like to rent a car for just one day to check out Miami while we're there.

Does anyone know if there are rental agencies there at the Port, or will they deliver a car there to you?

Thanks!

We are renting one day before and using Thifty (first time renting from them). I know they pick up from the pier because we are dropping the car off at the airport and taking the shuttle to the pier. It is the same shuttle that picks folks up and brings them to the cars.

It is the same shuttle that picks folks up and brings them to the cars

Just be careful you are in the right line at Thrifty. From their off-airport location, they have two shuttles, one that brings people to the airport and one that brings folks to the pier. There are signs, however, each time we have been there we see people who have waited in the wrong line. :eek:

Also, a some times the shuttle lines are long so make sure you allow for extra time in your plans. Don't want to be stressed when you are supposed to be on holiday.;)

Archived