1st timers on NCL - Tips for the Gem?

ttt

My parents will travel on the Gem from Barcelona, transatlantic, to Boston on 12-03-07. How does it work with the restaurant seating? What are the best deals concerning F/B on board? How much is the internet on the ship? Is there an indoor/roofed pool on the ship? How much they charge you for the spa? Do they have european or north american electrical outlets in staterooms, maybe both? Things YOU HAVE TO know for a NCL Freestyle Cruise and anything important you have to bring on board for a perfect cruise? They have booked an balcony stateroom on deck 10. Many questions. Thank you in advance for answering my questions...Happy cruisin´

ttt

My parents will travel on the Gem from Barcelona, transatlantic, to Boston on 12-03-07. How does it work with the restaurant seating? What are the best deals concerning F/B on board? How much is the internet on the ship? Is there an indoor/roofed pool on the ship? How much they charge you for the spa? Do they have european or north american electrical outlets in staterooms, maybe both? Things YOU HAVE TO know for a NCL Freestyle Cruise and anything important you have to bring on board for a perfect cruise? They have booked an balcony stateroom on deck 10. Many questions. Thank you in advance for answering my questions...Happy cruisin´

ttt

I was on the Gem's first long cruise (10/8/07 for 11 days, Dover to Barcelona) and shall do my best to answer some of your questions.]

There are no set seatings and you can get tables for 2 or asked to sit with others. You can make reservations in the morning at the desk in the Magenta (one of the two main dining rooms) or call the reservation number from the phone in your room. The two main dining rooms (Grand Pacific, large, more traditional in appearance and Magenta, smaller, more intimate) change their menus each day and serve the same thing for dinner (usually only the Grand Pacific is open for breakfast and lunch and both are open for dinner). Included speciality restaurants are La Cucina (Italian and very good), Tequilas (Tex-Mex - try the El PoPo), Blue Lagoon (open 24-7 with Diner & comfort food like chili, fish & chips, stir-fry, burgers etc) and the various outdoor venues, open as weather permits and the weather may not permit on a December Transatlantic crossing (The outdoor venues are The Great Outdoors. The Grill and the Bali Hai Bar & Grill). They'll have to pay a cover charge if they want to eat at Le Bistro (French/Continental), Cagney's (steakhouse), Orchid (Asian Fusion), Teppanyaki or the Sushi Bar). There is also a Tapas Bar situated in-between Tequilas and Blue Lagoons and one can get some very tasty little bites at the Tapas Bar to go with their beer or Margarita.

There are various Internet packages (100 minutes for $50, 250 minutes for $100 plus a 1 time small connection charge) and usually you can get extra minutes if you buy a package on the first day, there are also extra minutes if you are a Latitudes (prior NCL cruiser) member and buy a package and they may have "Happy Hour" where you get a minute back for a certain number of minutes you use. The per minute, pay as you go rate was about 75 cents a minute and the lowest package got it down to about 40 cents (a bit lower with the extra Latitude minutes).

The pools are outdoors and have saltwater in them. I believe the spa has a couple of lap pools that are indoors; however, you have to pay to use the spa (I don't know the cost, I didn't use the spa).

My recollection is that both types of outlets were in the room, one on either side of the mirror. However, since I only used the US-style outlet, my memory could be faulty.

I happen to dislike NCL's ice tea and it is the only free cold drink at lunch or dinner, so I bring those one drink size Crystal Lights or Lipton Tea to Go and mix one into a glass of water. This way I can drink something I like with my lunch (dinner usually involves wine or beer).

All they need to have a good time is to relax and enjoy themselves. The Gem is new, colorful and has a great crew. - Sharon

Intoduce your parents to the Gem's TA Roll Call. We have a great group and have a lot of activites planed. Two dinners, bowling, meet and greet, sail away party, ect. I think they will get a good idea of the group by reading the threads. This is our first cruise in 25 years and this group has been very helpful. I look forward to meeting your parents, they can pick and choose what they would like to do.

Archived