Help!!! I can't decide what to do at each port.

tlftlf

Hello, We will be cruising to the Mexican Riviera and would like to:

play golf

spend a day at the beach, maybe one of the hotels that lets you use their pool etc.

take in some sites

go whale watching, and

shop at one of the flea markets.

But I can't decide which place is the best place to do each of those. I would like to hang out at a nice looking beach. I hear that some beaches close by the ports aren't the greatest.

We will be in Acapulco for about 12hrs, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa for 7 hrs, Puerto Vallarta for 8 hours and Cabo San Lucas for 8 hrs.

Thanks for your help in advance.

We just returned from the Star on Halloween. Each port has a variety of great beaches and something for everyone. Most are very easy to get to without taking an excursion.

We went to Playa Caleta in Acapulco, La Ropa in Zihua, and Lover's Beach in Cabo. They were all great!! I posted a review if you want more info on the beaches we visited. There is great info on the web too. These were most helpful- they include pictures.

Acapulco:

http://www.fredsphoto.on.ca/aca_beaches.htm

Zihua/ Ixtapa:

http://www.zihua-ixtapa.com/zihua/beaches/index.shtml

Puerto Vallarta:

http://www.virtualvallarta.com/puert...llartabeaches/

Cabo:

http://www.loscabosguide.com/beaches/

CABO - know for whale watching, I'll second the person who recommmended that one. I think it also has good golf, but wait for someone else to confirm that. I haven't been thrilled with restaurants or shopping here.

Zihuatenaho - I've been to Ropa and Gatos. My vote goes to Gatos. Figure about $30 a person if you are going to have those fancy Pina Coladas $10 (I have a picture of one as my atavar on tripadvisor.), rent snorkel gear $8-10, have some shrimp nachos$7-10, bottled water$2, a couple extra margaritas $10. Pampered ,entertained.

If you do snorkel -do be still in the water if you want to see fish. I saw so many people splash by and then get out bitching there were no fish. Soon as they left the frightened fish came back out.

Puerto V - I love it for the sculptures and the architecture... and the beach and the restaurants, and the neat adventures, but I especially like the little shopping area right at the pier. Best prices I found on the trip.

Acapulco - The Restaurants!! Don't know about the golf, know the beaches aren't the best you will find, but Su Casa gave us a meal I still dream about 2 years later. Hint - get the Shrimp Patron appetizer and DO NOT let them take it away when you get your entree. This is a sauce to remember. There is Paradise if that suits for a beach time.

I suggest you pick-up a copy (or study one at your local library) of Moon Handbooks Pacific Mexico guidebook - it's the best I've seen for the region. The book will give you a very good idea of what to expect along the way and what's good, and not so good, where you're stopping. Lonely Planet also publishes a guide to the region - but I prefer the Moon guide.

As for Acapulco: there's lots to see and do, and the beaches will be about as good as you see along the way. Fort San Diego is across from where the ships berth, there's an excellent Mask Museum a short walk away from that. The historic center of Acapulco is full of shops, a large plaza with sidewalk cafe's and restaurants, craft sellers, the Cathedral, etc.

Palma Sola is a relatively unknown archaeological zone in the national park located on the mountainside above the city. The city's central market - Central de Abastos - is a beehive of activity. There are tennis courts, golf courses, fishing boats, sightseeing boats, the cliff divers at La Quebrada and so much more.

There are about 25 separate/distinct beach areas in the city offering variations and their own personality. Playa Condesa and Playa Caleta are favorites of mine - located at opposite ends of the bay . . . with the cruise ship terminal almost in the middle between the two. A 20-minute or side ride NW of the city center is where you'll find Pie de la Cuesta, always a favorite beach for travelers in the know.

Your 12-hour stay will pass quickly!

I just got back from the Vision of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera. Several people in my party went to Nikki Beach at the Westin in Puerto Vallarta and said it was wonderful (one of the crew from the ship recommended it). I didn't go, but from what I understand they not only have a nice beach but also a nice pool. There is no charge to go spend the day there.

Archived