Snuba in Roatan??

Akkarebear

Roatan is the worst place to be tethered to a snuba line.

I only say that because Roatan has some of the best diving and snorkeling in the world. Unless you plan to both snuba and snorkel, choose another port for the snuba and go snorkeling at Roatan.

Even the beach snorkeling is first rate. Maybe one of the beaches offers snuba and you could do both?

• 2 weeks later...
Roatan is the worst place to be tethered to a snuba line.

I only say that because Roatan has some of the best diving and snorkeling in the world. Unless you plan to both snuba and snorkel, choose another port for the snuba and go snorkeling at Roatan.

Even the beach snorkeling is first rate. Maybe one of the beaches offers snuba and you could do both?

We are seriously considering snuba in Roatan in January, but I don't understand why you're saying that snorkeling would be better than snuba? If I can get closer to everything than just floating on the surface why would that not be better?

We are seriously considering snuba in Roatan in January, but I don't understand why you're saying that snorkeling would be better than snuba? If I can get closer to everything than just floating on the surface why would that not be better?

"Tethered" is the operative word.

When snorkeling you aren't limited in area.

While surface snorkeling, you are seldom more than a few feet distant from sea life. Even when you're over major reefs such as Punta Sur or Palancar at Coz, the visibility is more than adequate for viewing the reef and other marine life. I couldn't keep the Bermudas off my back!:)

Snuba may be a neat experience. However, the Roatan reefs and sea life are so majestic I wouldn't recommend being to be tied to a static air line.

I'd save the snuba for another isle less spoiled and/or blessed by nature.

I did say that Roatan has excellent shore snorkeling, and I suggested that a snuba/snorkel trip might be arranged.

You may be able to arrange a boat trip at Roatan that offers a combination.

I know Fury Cat at Key West does.

• 1 year later...

My girlfriend and I recently got to SNUBA in Roatan from Gumbalimba park and had a GREAT time!! The staff were really really friendly and super knowledgeable. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's curious about snorkeling or scuba diving. The staff can set you up with clear kyaks, snorkeling gear, or a SNUBA adventure. I preferred the SNUBA over snorkeling because it let me get close to the fish that live ont he bottom, especially the smaller fish and sea life that are hard ot see fromt he surface.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I find this exchange interesting. If snorkeling is good in Roatan, SNUBA is better. You get to get closer. Yes the reef is shallow in areas but wouldnt it be better to be better to be within 3 feet of say 25 feet deep coral. Yes you are tethered but to a moving raft...not to a boat. As you can see in videos people are out 50 yards from shore and they may of done a shore dive so they are moving around. And as far as a resort course. Yes you get to have a tank on your back...but you have to do a lot of drills (sometimes in a pool first) and then you finally get to dive (waiting on the least experienced person at that). Oh and you get to pay twice as much to do it usually. SNUBA is just a 5 minute briefing and nobody affects each others depth. You get to be at whatever depth you want ithout bothering anyone else. Perfect for a cruiser who has limited time and wants to experience diving.

Archived