How much do you tip tour guides?

famplan28

For us it really depends on the excursion. If it was a quick bus ride to a winery or something that perhaps lasted only a couple of hours, I may give less than $5. If it was a true excursion...say snorkeling...and we made a day out of it, I will give $5 - $10 depending on how involved the guide was with my adventure.

For whatever reason, I don't really think about the % like I would at a restaurant when I tip, or when I tip my hairdresser. I think the most I have tipped on an excursion was $10 in Antigua when our tour guide took us on a catamaran, then to some great snorkeling, was funny and entertaining the entire time, and took us to one of Antigua's gazillion beaches to relax and have rum before taking us back to the ship. It was a full day of fun and adventure, and my husband and I each tipped $10. Now that I say that, I'm sort of feeling cheap, but the overall cost of the excursion was around $70 or so if I recall, so an extra $10/person felt good to me.

As the previous poster stated, it really depends upon how long the tour is and how well a job you feel the guide did. We usually tip 10-15% and tip the driver half of whatever we give the guide - providing there was some work involved. Our driver is Beijing was fabulous and really worked hard to make things as convenient for us (i.e. getting as close to things as possible). He got an extra large tip. It's all about how they made you feel.

Charlie

We don't have a flat percent. It all depends on the tour guide and how we were treated. A 2 hour guide who was entertaining and personable, as well as knowledgeable, could get more than a tour guide that gave us 4 hours of "narrative" with nothing extra in personality and fun.

Archived