Camera Recommendation

SAAdds1

I bought an Olympus digital camera (looks like a 35mm camera) several years ago. It takes a Smartcard (or is it Smartmedia) memory card, which no store sells anymore. It is also pretty clunky to carry around (i.e. won't fit in my purse).

So, I am looking for another digital camera. I just want a point and shoot camera, but would like it to take sharp pictures. My top price is $250, but I would like to stay well under that, if possible. Is this an unreasonable price?

I also don't know what it is called, but I don't want a huge amount of time between the time I press the button and the time the camera takes the picture.

So, what camera/brand would you recommend?

I bought an Olympus digital camera (looks like a 35mm camera) several years ago. It takes a Smartcard (or is it Smartmedia) memory card, which no store sells anymore. It is also pretty clunky to carry around (i.e. won't fit in my purse).

You are correct, Smart Media wasn't so smart after all. With a top capacity of 128MB (256MB rumored, but never produced), that card format just didn't make it. Part of the clunkyness of your camera was due to Smart Media being rather large compared to it's rivals.

So, I am looking for another digital camera. I just want a point and shoot camera, but would like it to take sharp pictures. My top price is $250, but I would like to stay well under that, if possible. Is this an unreasonable price?

Not at all. In the few years since you last bought one, P&S compacts have moved upward exponentially in quality and capability and downward in price. (Though the one I always choose seems to be around $350!:confused: )

Many models from top-end manufacturers are available for under $250.

I also don't know what it is called, but I don't want a huge amount of time between the time I press the button and the time the camera takes the picture.

Shutter-lag. Greatly reduced in newer cameras. Even less if you use methods like pre-focusing.

So, what camera/brand would you recommend?

Here's a link to Imaging Resource's camera list by price:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRICE3.HTM

However, I just looked on Amazon and My personal favorite, the Canon SD800IS is now $249. Stabilized, easy to use, fast. This is great fortune for you and really pi**es me off...My Wonderful Wife paid $350 for mine last March!:mad:

I spent dozens of hours researching it before I bought it and am very satisfied with it's speed and image quality.

Here are links to some of my galleries where the majority of the shots were taken with the SD800:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/pacnw20074a

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/aerial

A few DSLR shots mixed in...though it's hard to tell at this size:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/pacnw20072

Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Fuji, Nikon and Kodak all make great cameras in the $250 range, but the SD800IS was a $400 camera when is came out late last year. You can really save money buying a generation back!

Good luck in your search!

Dave

I spent dozens of hours researching it before I bought it and am very satisfied with it's speed and image quality.

Here are links to some of my galleries where the majority of the shots were taken with the SD800:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/pacnw20074a

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/aerial

A few DSLR shots mixed in...though it's hard to tell at this size:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/pacnw20072

Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Fuji, Nikon and Kodak all make great cameras in the $250 range, but the SD800IS was a $400 camera when is came out late last year. You can really save money buying a generation back!

Good luck in your search!

Dave

Thank you for your reply. I looked at your photos and really liked them. Did you take them by just pointing and shooting, or did you do any adjustments? I really don't want to mess with any adjusting.

I was hoping I could get a good deal at a Black Friday sale, so I don't have much time to research. But, if I don't buy next week, that would give me a little bit more time as our next cruise isn't until Dec. 27.

Thank you for your reply. I looked at your photos and really liked them. Did you take them by just pointing and shooting, or did you do any adjustments? I really don't want to mess with any adjusting.

I was hoping I could get a good deal at a Black Friday sale, so I don't have much time to research. But, if I don't buy next week, that would give me a little bit more time as our next cruise isn't until Dec. 27.

I keep it on Manual Mode, which isn't really all that manual. It just allows me to lock the flash in off, on or auto, set the ISO to 100 and keep it there and switch to continuous shooting or self-timer easily. Except for ISO 100, the camera made most of the decisions,,,except for what to shoot!;)

I have used it in full auto and it consistently hits the mark with great results. The price I sent you to is a change of model clearance and it will be hard to beat, even on BF. After they're gone, the price for it's successor wil be in the $350 range.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your trip and take a lot of pictures!

Dave

I keep it on Manual Mode, which isn't really all that manual. It just allows me to lock the flash in off, on or auto, set the ISO to 100 and keep it there and switch to continuous shooting or self-timer easily. Except for ISO 100, the camera made most of the decisions,,,except for what to shoot!;)

I have used it in full auto and it consistently hits the mark with great results. The price I sent you to is a change of model clearance and it will be hard to beat, even on BF. After they're gone, the price for it's successor wil be in the $350 range.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your trip and take a lot of pictures!

Dave

Thanks for the information, Dave. I've decided on Canon PowerShot SD850 IS ELPH. It's probably too much camera for me, but I liked the IS feature. It was a little over my budget, but circuit city had it on sale, so I went ahead and bought it. No one (according the the online Black Friday site) was putting it on sale Friday, so I figured this was about as low as it would go. We'll see.

Thanks again for the input.

Archived