Fuel Consumption

Captain Funtime

What would interest me is how many people book their cruise way in advance, and watch the price on a weekly basis, and when the price falls, calls for OBC.

Now the people who’ve stated they are being punished by booking so far out, how many people have at least $100 in OBC?

What if Carnival did not put in a fuel surcharge and just decided to strip everyone of the OBC they got for price drops. Instead you had to pay your full fare, and now because you booked way out, got the OBC, you lose it.

Guess the $5 a day is what my option of choice, even if I only had received a price drop of $100 or so I would still be ahead $30 that I didn’t have before.

I've been on cruises booked far out but not given a OBC.. are you supposed to get one if you book within a particular window?

I think we're stretching to equate the fuel surcharge to the fuel consumption. Isn't it possible that the bean counters might be assuming that the cost of fuel will at best level out but more likely continue to rise. That being the case, wouldn't it be prudent of Carnival's to put the fuel surcharge a little higher then needed to offset the add'l costs now rather than adding a surcharge and raising the surcharge later -- say in six months to a year as the cost of fuel continues to rise?

5.00 a day extra and you crying...

How much did you spend on the bottle of Water or Latte this morning???

And by the way Tap water is .05 a gallon in most homes !!!!!!

Get a life folks ....I thought Carnival was in business to earn money... It's not a nonprofit group!!!!

John

5.00 a day extra and you crying...

How much did you spend on the bottle of Water or Latte this morning???

And by the way Tap water is .05 a gallon in most homes !!!!!!

Get a life folks ....I thought Carnival was in business to earn money... It's not a nonprofit group!!!!

John

As a Carnival shareholder (and PLC) I want Carnival to thrive. As a frequent cruiser I want cruise prices to stay low so I can afford to cruise more often. I have no problem with the $5 surcharge...I was simply attempting to understand the dynamics of fuel as it relates to the cost of operating a ship. Having researched it, I find that fuel is a key component of that cost. As the OP I did not intend this thread to be a forum for the surcharge...but an attempt to find facts.

:)

$2.00/gallon for bunker C seems high, especially for the volume a cruiseline purchases. I get #2 diesel delivered right to my fuel tanks for around $2.30/gallon. I would have thought bunker C would have been at least half that. Granted, I've never bought or priced bunker fuel, but I would not have thought #2 and #6 would have been so close in price. For 30 cents, I'd burn the #2 and have a lot less maintenance on the engines, not to mention the enormous amount of soot that would be eliminated from the decks.

I agree with you, and I paid my $70. yesterday to unlock my eDocs. What most people are saying which I also agree is that once you lock into a price and contract, they shouldn't come back and hit you again. I was totally paid for back in Feb for my April 08 cruise and I got hit with the charges. They should of went with New Bookings starting as of a specific date as they always do with new deals. That way if the customer hasn't paid for their cruise yet and was given the option to opt out.

Fred

I totally agree! That's what some of us have been saying the whole time.

The only logic I get is that most people on these boards (1% of cruisers)don't pay in full. So therefore it is not a issue for them.

Continued research in pursuit of knowledge....

Cruise ships burn Bunker C (a.k.a. #6 fuel oil). The least expensive.

A metric tonne of Bunker C has 256.65 - 278.25 gallons.

Bunker C is currently about $500/metric tonne or roughly $2/gallon.

If the Conquest consumes 5 metric tonnes/hour.... 1,337.25 gallons.

The ship consumes more oil at cruise speed than it does when in port.

Thus, on average...it would not consume 1,337.25 every hour.

Using average numbers... $2,600/hr at cruise. 2,500 pax at $5/day is $12,500.

Any thoughts ?

My thoughts. I hope I can get the math right.

based on your averages above a crusie ship is running 24hrs a day so using the lower end 0f 1337.25 gals per hr. 24 X 1337.25 = 32094 gals of fuel a day 32094 X $2.00 =$64188 a day or 5 metric tonnes/hour X 24 = 120 metric tonnes a day X $500 = $60000 a day.

Cruise cost is more then just fuel, there are all the other add ins we don't see ( food cost, insurance, taxes, staff, maintance, Etc. ) and these cost are not just ships cost, but company wide all the way to the corporate office which provides logistical support.

wait until your local goverments start trying to raise taxes to cover their additional fuel cost. its bite them too, and they do not pay any taxes on fuel purchases like you and I and other companys.

its a much bigger picture then we all think.

any thoughts?

I was shocked myself at the fuel surcharge when I heard about it, then I thought hey it is a costly thing now.

I all for making a profit, as long as you can justify it.

However, I did some math.

At 2880 passengers x 5.00 per day equals 14,000.00 per day x7 days is 100,800.00!

Is that justified?

I was trying to make some quick calculations, however there is no quick ones here.

Archived