Carry-on Dilema!

Okay...

Dh and and I have booked a last minute cruise for 11/29 .

I have to start thinking about this now as our family is going on vacation for vacation for Thanksgiving as well and will only be back on Sunday following the holiday.Our flight will leave for Miami on Tues!it leaves me little time in between!:eek: ( Don't know what we were thinking either...:confused: )

Those who know me well, know I am the quintessential overpacker.:rolleyes:

Shoes, well...they they are my #1 weakness, I must say as well as accessories.

All that being said, I am determined on this trip that we are going to be able to do this trip in a carry on for each.( Plus DH's leather backpack and my bag)

Now, I KNOW that there are those of you out there that have this down to a science and do the "carry on thing" for much longer trips ( Caviargal especially;) ),so I am counting on you to pull me through this!

My dilema is not so much the clothing, as we have decided to skip formal night ( and yes we will dine elsewhere).My clothing is all of materials that pack well and lightly.My accessories will carry me through!

I am trying to figure out what to do with all of my hair stuff, lotions and such!:o

Being that the 3-1-1 rule applies to carry on luggage, how do I transport all of my favorite shampoos and products?

Transferring just enough into the alloted sizes will not do.....:eek:

I know I am probably making this much harder than it really needs to be, but I want some advice please.

Concerns are:

• Suncare products, I am picky
  • Hair products, I am brand phobic
  • Perfume
  • Skin care products

I do not want to check our bags......

How do get around this? Is there a way? Are people like me just doomed to be luggin' the luggage train and waiting at that baggage terminal because I can't figure out how to carry my shampoo!!???

Thank you for any tips or advice!

Check into where you can buy the stuff once you get to Miami and then have the taxi run you by there to purchase it.

OR, do you know someone you could ship it to in Miami who could bring it to you at the airport when you get off the plane?

Heather, how long is the cruise? How much of these items will you need?

I jammed my ziploc full and was ok for the 12 days with some minor supplementation.:)

I used makeup remover towelettes (now available in many brands but Neutrogena works for my skin); stick deodorant does not count so you can pack that; I got samples of mascara at the Lancome counter an samples of my Chanel scent at their counter. I used Bare Essentials instead of my liquid makeup and actually liked it; lipstick is permitted; sunscreen comes in towelette form as well these days.

DH and I each brought a 2oz hair spray and shared both, I packed small size shampoo, conditioner and hair gel (Aveeda), small toothpaste, small facial moisturizer and I used an old contact lens case for my hair pomade.

I ran out of body lotion but was able to buy good stuff in local shops there and that would also be easy on a ship.

It can be done but compromise could be necessary;).

Try to get sample packs for things like sunscreen and shampoo. I find that the foil samples of sunscreen cover 2 of us very generously. If you can't find your favourite shampoo in the foil pack then you may have to go with something else for a few days (a couple of days with a new shampoo may actually make your hair look great!).

We just got back from 5 nights/days in Canada and flew with carry-ons only ~ packing heavy sweaters, proper shoes, etc. I finally used a bunch of samples for face, makeup & hair. I used the moist cleansing towelettes for face cleansing and nails (they don't need to go in the baggie).

As another mentioned, if you really can't do it then stop at a drugstore and get what you need when you land in Miami. If you're short of time then you could certainly get what you need at the sundry shop in the MIA airport (it'll cost you - of course!)

I KNEW you ladies would come through for me!!

Some great suggestions I simply had not thought of, thank you!:D

Our cruise is only 4 days, but we are going to be in Miami 2 days before as well.

What a great idea to stop by Macys and get some samples of my perfume.

I use Bare Escentuals (and love it), and did not stop long enough to think that is one worry eliminated.;)

I have naturally curly hair that is past my shoulders so that is one area where I will probably have to stop in Miami and find a salon ( maybe in our hotel) that will carry what I need. It takes an army to keep this hair in line!!:eek: I might be able to fit it in both our 3-1-1's though, if I take over his as suggested!:D

Ok! I think I am feeling really confident we can actually do this now!

I will look forward to coming back and reporting my success and any tips I pick up along the way, too.

Thanks again!

Okay...

Dh and and I have booked a last minute cruise for 11/29 .

I have to start thinking about this now as our family is going on vacation for vacation for Thanksgiving as well and will only be back on Sunday following the holiday.Our flight will leave for Miami on Tues!it leaves me little time in between!:eek: ( Don't know what we were thinking either...:confused: )

Those who know me well, know I am the quintessential overpacker.:rolleyes:

Shoes, well...they they are my #1 weakness, I must say as well as accessories.

All that being said, I am determined on this trip that we are going to be able to do this trip in a carry on for each.( Plus DH's leather backpack and my bag)

Now, I KNOW that there are those of you out there that have this down to a science and do the "carry on thing" for much longer trips ( Caviargal especially;) ),so I am counting on you to pull me through this!

My dilema is not so much the clothing, as we have decided to skip formal night ( and yes we will dine elsewhere).My clothing is all of materials that pack well and lightly.My accessories will carry me through!

I am trying to figure out what to do with all of my hair stuff, lotions and such!:o

Being that the 3-1-1 rule applies to carry on luggage, how do I transport all of my favorite shampoos and products?

Transferring just enough into the alloted sizes will not do.....:eek:

I know I am probably making this much harder than it really needs to be, but I want some advice please.

Concerns are:

• Suncare products, I am picky
  • Hair products, I am brand phobic
  • Perfume
  • Skin care products

I do not want to check our bags......

How do get around this? Is there a way? Are people like me just doomed to be luggin' the luggage train and waiting at that baggage terminal because I can't figure out how to carry my shampoo!!???

Thank you for any tips or advice!

If it doesn't fit into the one-quart, zip-top bag, you can't take it and if the individual containers measure more than 100 ML (3.4 ounces), you can't take them.

The hair care products are what kill me!

Long, curly hair, the sun, sea and humidity do not mix.

I find I use about a months worth of haircare products on a 7 day cruise.

I love the ocean and the sun, but it sure plays havoc on my hair.

I need to deep condition daily on a cruise, shampoo out that salt water etc.

It cost me a mint in hair care for a cruise.

If it doesn't fit into the one-quart, zip-top bag, you can't take it and if the individual containers measure more than 100 ML (3.4 ounces), you can't take them.

You can't take them on a carry-on, but you can check all you want in any size you want. Just wanted to clear up a common misconception. I apologize if that's what you meant.

OP, what brand of sunscreen do you use?

You can't take them on a carry-on, but you can check all you want in any size you want. Just wanted to clear up a common misconception. I apologize if that's what you meant.

The OP seems to want to do carry-on only, which may not be practical given her needs. She'll either have to buy product in port or check a bag.

Given the report today regardign the TSA checkpoints missing some liquids, expect extra vigilance throught the holiday travel period.

Also, the TSA tends to traditionally change a few things during the week of Thanksgiving. I do PR for an airport and there's always some sort of last minute panic... and there have been hints that SOMETHING is on its way. Check the website (www.tsa.gov) before taking off for the airport in the morning to try to avoid last minute rule changes taking you by surprise.

The OP seems to want to do carry-on only, which may not be practical given her needs. She'll either have to buy product in port or check a bag.

Given the report today regardign the TSA checkpoints missing some liquids, expect extra vigilance throught the holiday travel period.

Also, the TSA tends to traditionally change a few things during the week of Thanksgiving. I do PR for an airport and there's always some sort of last minute panic... and there have been hints that SOMETHING is on its way. Check the website (www.tsa.gov) before taking off for the airport in the morning to try to avoid last minute rule changes taking you by surprise.

Fabulous....simply fabulous.....:eek:

Just what I need, a surprise !

Thank you for this info, I will definately keep an eye on this website, I already had it bookmarked from previous travels.

I now use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock... it blocks both the UVA and UVB and doesn't leave me a greasy mess.I should be able to find that in Miami easy enough...

The hair care products are what kill me!

Long, curly hair, the sun, sea and humidity do not mix.

I find I use about a months worth of haircare products on a 7 day cruise.

I love the ocean and the sun, but it sure plays havoc on my hair.

I need to deep condition daily on a cruise, shampoo out that salt water etc.

It cost me a mint in hair care for a cruise.

JRarey..exactly!!! That is exactly the problem!! In normal conditions it is a different story, but with the humidity and all the other elements? Sweet Mary and Joseph, I look like a tumbleweed with legs and arms without the correct weapons!! By weeks end my hair would weigh more than me!!:eek:

So...I think the only solution here will be to buy it in Miami at a good salon.Shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying in your earlier post.

I really hope they don't change anything...I'm traveling a lot for business (one-two night trips) over the next few weeks, and I really don't want to have to check my bags. But you're right, things they've been saying on the news indicate something's up....

The issue is that spot checks at several airports of one layer of the security process yielded that bomb components spread over several people (small quantities) were missed. All products were readily obtained, legal products in their original form.

Unfortunately, they can't screen for absolutely everything and I think none of us wants to give up carry-on items in their entirely and fly in paper gowns. LOL!

I am sooo glad that I will be on a ship rather than in the thick of things with the media this year! :D

I do have a friend who sends her beauty products Fed Ex to the hotel in advance when on business so she can go carry-on only. It cracks me up!

I do have a friend who sends her beauty products Fed Ex to the hotel in advance when on business so she can go carry-on only. It cracks me up!

:eek: :eek: Now THERE is an idea !!!!!!!!:D

DH might freak out, but my curls will be in tact!;)

Hmmmmm....:D

Not bad.....:rolleyes:

I've sworn off doing the carry on only for flights, simply because of the 3-1-1 rule. I can do it, it's just too much of a hassle to search out the right sizes and such.

I will tell you what I did for makeup products and skin care: sample sizes. I always stock up on Clinique and Lancome when they have a give-away. Clinique gives away tiny jars of eye cream on a regular basis, I keep one with my eye cream and use an empty one for facial sunscreen and another for moisturizer. They don't check to see if the right product is in the jar. Lancome always has mascara in tiny sizes. They always have eyeshadow giveaways, sometimes makeup remover, sometimes facial wash.

You can also pick up some products onboard the ship, I'm not sure about hair products, but most ships carry some decent skin care and makeup onboard.

My hair products, I have a slight advantage because I can go into to-the-trade supply stores and get all I need in 3 oz. or less containers. I do save those and refill as needed. Even my hairspray and mousse come in small sized cans, I just take 2 of each, my husband hardly needs any of the 3-1-1 space. Ask your hairstylist to pick up some of these sizes for you, right now may be a good time as the manufacturers have a lot during the holiday season, stylists sometimes give them away as client gifts.

However, I still felt it was too much trouble and from now on will only pack immediate essentials in my carry on, such as lipstick and hand cream, the rest will be checked in.

Silly me, the meaning of the title went right over my head. Whoosh!

Heather, when I saw your heading, Carry On Dilemma, I thought the post was going to be about Tim Gunn!!!

Well, the others here are smarter than I am and gave you some great suggestions.

Have a great cruise!

Archived