Our Day in Gibraltar

We were on the October 28 sailing of the NCL Gem with a morning in Gibraltar on November 7.

The CruiseCritic group on that sailing was very active so we were able to get a lot of different perspectives on how the day went as we "debriefed" later on that day.

The people who were on the ship's tour had a pleasant day but/and did a lot more hiking than those who hired the independent taxi service that was at the port. (Official Rock Island Tour by Gibraltar Taxi Association) The large tour buses are not able to get as close to the caves as the taxis.

FYI: Most Gibraltar businesses take Pounds, Euros and even US dollars.

We very rarely use the ships tours for several reasons. Gibraltar Taxi Association is the only option that we could find to "do" Gibraltar on our own other than walking to the cable car (which isn't an option for me).

When we got off the ship, we were accosted (as you are in most ports) by the taxi drivers hawking their tours. The first one who approached us offered to show us around for 30 Euros ($44 USD) each. The website for GTA says that the price is 11.40 Euros, ($16.60 USD) but the 30 Euros included the cost of the entry into the Nature Reserve. We decided to see if we could find it for less, since we were expecting to pay 11.40 Euros.

The next driver offered to drive us for 25 ($36 USD) Euros. We jumped on that. (A better writer could convey the chaos that was present on the dock area, but it will prepare you for the Barbary Apes on the top of the Rock.)

We found out later that some in our CC group paid 35 Euros, some paid 30 Euros and some paid 25. All of these were taxis from the same "price-controlled" company. Also, some of the drivers (at all prices) drop you off in town, which allows you to shop, but requires a mile walk back to the ship or a 1/3 mile walk to a very long line for a 2 Euro/person 3/4 mile ride back to the ship. Some of the drivers drive you back to the ship.

Make sure you verify the price and where you will be dropped off. (Another FYI: The brochure the drivers carry to show what their tour will consist of says 25 Euros on the back in very big letters)

Bottom line on Gibraltar. It's really neat to be able to say you've been there, but don't expect to be blown away by anything but the madhouse at the dock.

We were on the October 28 sailing of the NCL Gem with a morning in Gibraltar.............

Thanks for the info Roboref, we'll be there on Dec 6th.

Did you notice if any of the taxis were large enough for our group of 8?. I'm wondering if I should prebook.

Is the tour price per person or per vehicle? I am assuming per person, but hoping per vehicle. :p

Price is per person.

I think this is quite strange, as at the pier they will only leave when they have a full vehicle. If you are in a party of 6, you may not want to share, so would they charge 150 or would they expect the extra 60? I feel it is exploitation.

We found city bus maps online, I think it's bus #3. We left the ship as soon as it docks, got to the bus station and hitch a ride to the cable car stop (rock hotel stop). We were first on the cable car and had the whole rock to ourselves before the tours arrive. It's very do-able. We also took the same bus to the lighthouse/mosque. Bus cost only 1 Euro each ride.

Archived