Upsells from Outside to Verandah

AECrowell

We are on the Maasdam in February for the 15-day Panama Canal cruise. When we signed up, all verandahs were sold - in fact, I think the whole ship has sold out. We are waitlisted for 2 verandah cabins. One of us is slightly claustrophobic, so I think she might be willing to pay the difference between our current DA to a verandah, although I'm not sure I can afford it for my own cabin!

If verandahs become available, what is HAL likely to ask for the "upsell"? In a sold out situation, will they offer upsells before they offer upgrades? Just wondering what your experiences have been with this. Thanks for any information!

Here's my story...

Booked an HH guarantee got upgraded to a C cabin about 2 weeks before the cruise. The week before we got a call for an upsell to a BC verandah cabin, again a guarantee. Got assigned an AA cabin about 3 days prior to sailing. Just to throw out a figure for you, it was a 10 day cruise and the upsell was $150/pp, which we thought was well worth it.

We were offered the upsell after the upgrades were done, but I don't think our sailing was sold out. I think you might have a harder time getting a decent deal *if* you are even offered an upsell since the itinerary you are doing is unique for 2007.

And here's my story -

We booked a B verandah suite guarantee on the Oct 23 Volendam, a 10 day Panama Canal. Those were the only cabins available 4 months out. I told my TA I would be interested in an upsell.

We ended up getting a "fake" upgrade to a grade AA cabin (same size, different deck) that had air conditioning problems.

Anyway, after all the assignments were done, I got a call for an upsell to a deluxe verandah suite for $1,100 a person. I did not respond or counter offer.

The other couple we were traveling with had the same set of circumstances, but they did not say they might be interested in an upsell and they did not get a call. So my advice is to have one of you let HAL and your TA know you might be interested in an upsell.

Thanks for posting your stories and advice. It sounds as though HAL will ask us to come up to full price for an upsell since they've sold the ship so well - big surprise. Our pay-in-full date was 11/15 and we can always hope for cancellations due to the fuel surcharge furor (keeping fingers crossed). It sounds like HAL juggles the cabins around closer to sail date. We booked through an agent and will keep checking with her...

The DA cabins we are booked into are in a good location, on the Main Deck mid-ship, although under the promenade - so we will be happy cruisers in any event!

Archived