Full tip for children ?

marcogilbert

How much do you tip for children ?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you tip for children ?

• Same as an adult. (Full tip)
    • 50% of an adult.

Seems to me the only people who like to post about tipping are those that tip the most?

And the ones who don't want to talk about it tip under the minimum (or not at all) because they can't really justify their not tipping.

If you don't want to tip, stay home.

UMTerp

And the ones who don't want to talk about it tip under the minimum (or not at all) because they can't really justify their not tipping.

If you don't want to tip, stay home.

UMTerp

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. Some of you people start posts about tipping and then the majority of those that reply don't really want to know others opinions you just want to brag about how much you tip and/or how many cruises you've been on, so you can all pat yourselves on the back.

"If you don't want to tip, stay home" is the most childish response I've read yet!

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. Some of you people start posts about tipping and then the majority of those that reply don't really want to know others opinions you just want to brag about how much you tip and/or how many cruises you've been on, so you can all pat yourselves on the back.

"If you don't want to tip, stay home" is the most childish response I've read yet!

I don't think saying that you tip the recommended amount is bragging at all. It is doing what is expected of you when you decide to take a cruise. Tipping is part of it and when you don't, you are cheating the people that serve you. If you are ok with that, then I guess that's fine (although tell that to the people who serve you and they may disagree). What always makes me and my DH shake our heads is how empty the dining room is on the last night when you give the tips. Anyway, I happen to agree with the quote that if you don't want to tip, stay home. I don't think it's childish. I think not tipping is childish and you can try to justify it any way you want (this is, provided that you received good service of course).

You know, some people want to experience cruising without all the extras, but your not given that option. I'd be more then happy to take my own order and get my own food and clean my own room, but your not given that option. (unless you always dine in the buffet lines) Instead others automatically do it for you and then expect to be paid for it. Thats like pulling up to a red light and having a begger come up and clean your windshield and then expect to be paid for it even though you didn't really want it done. And you know they're all there waiting to do it, but you don't want to take an alternate route because its the fastest way to work.

I agree with many of your points Gemss.

I do know, however, that a cruise is still considered a luxury vacation, and tips are still an expected part of the cruise. In the FAQ section of most any cruiseline you will find the detailed tip expectations.

Still, tipping is personal. Although expected, it is not required, and just about every cruise line will let you remove your tips for that reason.

I always pay the full tip if the service is good ... because it is expected of me and because it is part of the server's income ... not because I believe in the tipping system.

I wish all servers were paid fully and tipping was optional. Then those who deserved tips would usually be the ones getting them. And, yes, I would be first in line for a room without a steward if there was such a thing.

True, this thread IS a place to state your opinions and to see the results of the poll. It is just too bad when we feel attacked for stating our opinions.

As Gemss brought up, I did feel like a wounded rabbit surrounded by vultures after expressing my views. I see that a full 20% voted for kids to tip less. That's not an insignificant number. Yet those people are not speaking up here. Who wants to be seen as a cheapskate?

After getting blasted on another post for choosing to take my kids out of school in order to save $3000 on a cruise, I, too, get the feeling that many on this board who are economically fortunate enjoy ridiculing those of us who are not.

No, I am not afraid (as many are) to tell you that finances are indeed a major decision-point for me. I am a single mother living on a teacher's salary in the 40th lowest paying state in the nation with a daughter whose annual medical bills run between $6000 - $12,000.

Yes, I will choose a cruise with lower tips and rates for children if available. The servers on that cruise line know and understand the expectations of their system. They are not going to starve. I am not cheating them or harming them.

The interesting thing was that my children were also treated much better on NCL than on both Carnival trips. They will tell you so themselves. So apparently, the servers are not holding any grudges against children for their "cheap" tips either.

50% tip is my vote. I did not vote until this last week. I studied both sides before making the decision, as I hope you all did. Even though, as I stated, 100% is fine, I DO prefer the 50% expectation.

My vote is my own opinion. I hope everyone can respect my right to that opinion. Without walking in my shoes, can anyone tell me what to believe?

I know this is slightly off topic, but personally I feel that as it stands just now you should factor the recommended tip amounts into the price of your cruise – as that is what (in real terms) it is. I would, however, prefer CL’s to give you a price for a cruise where you get everything included, and only have to tip if YOU want to.

When it comes to children and tipping – this is my motto: if your child makes half the mess, or requires half the service – tip half. If they make more mess – tip more.

On a very personal side note… if a Disney employee is working onboard a ship they are CREW MEMBERS not CAST members… CREW!!!!! I am sorry, but you know what it’s like when a little thing frustrates you.

When it comes to kids clubs, I feel that if your child gets treated very well, leave a comment, or drop of some cash – yes it goes into a pot, but you have to remember that things like the clubs are a team effort, and its always good to reward the team. As a former ‘Oceaneer’, I have to say we love the candy… seriously we do! You should see us stuff our faces with it during our embark meeting when y’all are at the drill.

Sweetangel,

We are in the same boat. I couldn't agree with you more! I have a family of six kids and taking any cruise especially a Disney cruise is a major expense. I calculated what the expected full tip for my family would be and it was around $300.00!! Plus I'm already shelling out almost $4000.00 just for the cruise in two category 10 rooms. Add in airfare which will be around $2500 plus a few hotel night stays and eats and excursions, etc. and I'm guessing I'll be spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $7000-8000!! And yes Iam taking my kids out of school to do this. If I went during the days kids are out of school for holiday's or during the summer that figure goes from $7000-8000 to more like $10,000-12,000.

We've never been on a Disney Cruise and who knows we may find it so amazing that I'll cave in and tip the recommended amount, but right now the thought of having to shell out another $300.00 just for someone to clean my room and serve me my food just makes me sick to my stomach. Personally I think 50% is resonable enough at $150.00?

I do mean to sound harsh, but it is not the fault of DCL you had 6 kids.

Tipping 50% of the total amount seems way too low. There are 2 full paying people in each room and the full tip is expected for them at the extreme least.

And I don't mean to sound harsh either, but its a "tip" based on what "I" think the job is worth, and frankly I don't think a tip of $300 is worth it to me just to have someone make my bed and vaccum the floor in a room thats only 125 square feet. ( I mean really, they're in and out in 10-20 minutes and over the length of a 4 day cruise they've probably spent less then 2 hours cleaning my stateroom) Like wise I don't think its very hard or demanding to have someone take my order and carry it 300 feet or less to my table and then clean up and take the dirty dishes to the automatic dish washer afterwards.

Those folks who pay the recommend tip amount I have nothing against, thats fine by me. It simple means that the service means more to them then it does to me.

Those folks who pay the recommend tip amount I have nothing against, thats fine by me. It simple means that the service means more to them then it does to me.

But I bet you might be the first in line if the servers aren't running for your every whim. It's no wonder that some cruise lines have had to automatically add the tips into the cost. Wow.

But I bet you might be the first in line if the servers aren't running for your every whim. It's no wonder that some cruise lines have had to automatically add the tips into the cost. Wow.

Nope... on the contrary. I dis-like servers who ask me every 5 minutes if everything is alright....just bring my food and let me eat in peace. Same with house keeping... if they'd leave me a rag and some cleaner under the bathroom sink and a small vacuum I'd be more then happy to clean up after myself. :D

It's no wonder that some cruise lines have had to automatically add the tips into the cost.

I say "Thank you" to the cruise lines that are doing that. I am perfectly happy to abolish the tip system.

I took a cruise like that and got the best service of my life. The servers were working for comment cards, not money, and they were just as fanatical over those cards as if they were cash.

Abolishing tips and giving servers standard wages would save a lot of worries for those poor underpaid servers ... and for me too. Let the cruise lines put it into the price of the cruise. Then everyone knows exactly what they are getting and giving.

Boy, I'll have to agree with previous posts. Tipping is a private matter and is nobodys business but your own.

Everyone has their own opinions about tipping so lets leave it at that.

If all topics were treated like that, it would make for a very quiet discussion board. I prefer a vigorous yet civil discussion.

I wouldn't call it childish, that would be rude.

When discussing tipping with someone who seems to be bent on finding an excuse not to tip an appropriate amount, it's better to say something like "Perhaps a cruise vacation isn't for you. You might enjoy an all-inclusive resort, where tips are included much more"

When discussing tipping with someone who seems to be bent on finding an excuse not to tip an appropriate amount, it's better to say something like "Perhaps a cruise vacation isn't for you. You might enjoy an all-inclusive resort, where tips are included much more"

Thank you!

UMTerp

Ok, and who determines what "an appropriate amount" is? Thats right...each individual cruiser. Thats why they're called "tips". Just because the "TIPPING GODS" suggest a "recommended amount" doesn't mean you have to tip that much.

If the cruise line wants to add tips into the cost of the cruise, I'm ALL for that. They hired those people to do a job and they should be paid a "fair" wage and not have to rely on customers to subsidize their pay. In my opinion I don't think servers in general get paid a "fair wage" I think most make allot more then the job is worth.

I have no kids but surely 50% is adequate. Do they eat 5 course meals? Does the bathroom take any longer to clean irrespective of how many are in a cabin? Yes there are extra beds to make up. How long does that take, 5 minutes? Mention tip reduction on these boards & the vultures are ready to pounce. Do what you feel comfortable with, just don't put it into print.

Ok, and who determines what "an appropriate amount" is? Thats right...each individual cruiser. Thats why they're called "tips". Just because the "TIPPING GODS" suggest a "recommended amount" doesn't mean you have to tip that much.

If the cruise line wants to add tips into the cost of the cruise, I'm ALL for that. They hired those people to do a job and they should be paid a "fair" wage and not have to rely on customers to subsidize their pay. In my opinion I don't think servers in general get paid a "fair wage" I think most make allot more then the job is worth.

Maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes.:rolleyes:

Bill

Maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes.:rolleyes:

Bill

If you read one of my previous posts you'll read that I have a son that delivers pizza and earns on average about $200 per day in tips. I can't get him to even think about going to college because he says he makes enough delivery pizza? When he's grossing about $4500 per month how do you argue with that? I know he can't deliver pizza the rest of his life, but you can't tell him that.

There's something wrong with the system when a pizza delivery driver can make that kind of money and someone that has gone to college and earned a degree (and racked up college tuition expenses) only makes the same or less! (teachers come to mind)

On a Disney cruise in particular I'd be willing to bet those folks are doing quite well with tips. If you look at the faces of people at Disney parks most people are "overcome" with the magic and all of a sudden their wallets are open and now money is no object. People spend money like they have a never ending supply of it. If you don't believe me just look at the cost of admission compared to other parks or other cruise lines. Disney is always more expensive, but people are scrambling to pay it (and I'm one of them) to experience the "Disney magic"

There's something wrong with the system when a pizza delivery driver can make that kind of money and someone that has gone to college and earned a degree (and racked up college tuition expenses) only makes the same or less! (teachers come to mind)

It looks like teaching is a bad career decision for someone in it for the money.

It's supply and demand at work. Lots of people want to be teachers so the supply remains high and that depresses wages.

If you want to get into a business in perpetual shortage where those that can handle it are well-paid, try nursing in your next life.

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe someone can explain to me why as a society we "tip"? I've never understood why we pay extra to some people for just doing their job. I'm assuming that the waitress at the restaurant was employed by the restaurant to be a waitress and that she receives an hourly or salary wage from the restaurant, so why do we pay them extra just for doing their job? To me that makes about as much sense as tipping the police officer after he has given you a ticket for speeding. After all he was just doing a good job?

Now don't get me wrong I'm not trying to start an arguement and I do tip, but I really hate feeling that I have to do it. :rolleyes:

I AGREE!!!

Maybe someone can explain to me why as a society we "tip"? I've never understood why we pay extra to some people for just doing their job. I'm assuming that the waitress at the restaurant was employed by the restaurant to be a waitress and that she receives an hourly or salary wage from the restaurant, so why do we pay them extra just for doing their job? To me that makes about as much sense as tipping the police officer after he has given you a ticket for speeding. After all he was just doing a good job?

Now don't get me wrong I'm not trying to start an arguement and I do tip, but I really hate feeling that I have to do it. :rolleyes:

Gemss-you've obviously never worked for tips. In AZ servers make $2.13/hr.

We always tip 20% unless we get great service then we tip more. However if we get bad service and it is because of the server and not out of their hands (cooks messed up, etc) we will reflect this in our tip.

If you don't want to tip-stay home or move out of the country where the servers do not work for tips.

Just a little note-you are remembered when you are a bad tipper.

Most of these people who work on a cruise ship are from poor countries, and in their wildest dreams they would be able to take their family on a luxury cruise. Why not save a bit more from your paychecks (or borrow some from your son) and pay these people what they deserve for taking care of you and your family when you are on vacation. $300.00 for a tip comes to 4% of the total you are spending for your $8,000.00 vacation.

I just sit and shake my head at that.

We always tip 20% unless we get great service then we tip more. However if we get bad service and it is because of the server and not out of their hands (cooks messed up, etc) we will reflect this in our tip.

If you don't want to tip-stay home or move out of the country where the servers do not work for tips.

Most of these people who work on a cruise ship are from poor countries, and in their wildest dreams they would be able to take their family on a luxury cruise. Why not save a bit more from your paychecks (or borrow some from your son) and pay these people what they deserve for taking care of you and your family when you are on vacation. $300.00 for a tip comes to 4% of the total you are spending for your $8,000.00 vacation.

Garv816, here is your pat on the back for tipping 20%+:D

$8000.00 :eek::eek: What makes you think I'm spending $8000.00 on our vacation? :confused:

Happy Cruising!

Why in the world because some lunatic chooses to work for $2.13 an hour in one of the worlds richest countries, (U.S.) should the rest of us fill their wage packets whilst their employers laugh their way to the bank. Your comment about stay at home or move out of the country says it all for me. Lets keep slave labour going for as long as we can! The longer you persist in tipping the ‘Tip Based Employment’ (slave labour) the less the chances their basic wage will ever improve. As for cruise ship employees, mainly from the Far East, they have been queuing up for these jobs for the last fifty years, so it can’t be that bad a job for them. Yes I do tip on cruise ships, but feel more & more resentful about tipping when in the U.S. for the reasons stated above.

Archived