Full tip for children ?

marcogilbert

How much do you tip for children ?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you tip for children ?

• Same as an adult. (Full tip)
    • 50% of an adult.

Why in the world because some lunatic chooses to work for $2.13 an hour in one of the worlds richest countries, (U.S.) should the rest of us fill their wage packets whilst their employers laugh their way to the bank. Your comment about stay at home or move out of the country says it all for me. Lets keep slave labour going for as long as we can! The longer you persist in tipping the ‘Tip Based Employment’ (slave labour) the less the chances their basic wage will ever improve. As for cruise ship employees, mainly from the Far East, they have been queuing up for these jobs for the last fifty years, so it can’t be that bad a job for them. Yes I do tip on cruise ships, but feel more & more resentful about tipping when in the U.S. for the reasons stated above.

Yep, I agree. :D

I travel quite a bit and I can't say that I've seen to many "Help Wanted" signs hanging in the windows of very many restaurants. Their base wage maybe $2.13 an hour, but they must be doing pretty well on tips to keep doing what they're doing? :rolleyes:

At lease around where I live you can drive by any restaurant after work and the parking lot is packed!! If only half of the people paid a full tip I think most servers would still do quite well for an unskilled job. :rolleyes:

I don't think tipping will ever go away because so many people are accustomed to doing it and the base wage reflects this. On cruise ships 90% or more of the workers are from foreign countries where the average worker only makes about $60.00 a month, so when these people return home after working on a cruise ship I'll bet they're pretty well off.

Sweetangel,

We are in the same boat. I couldn't agree with you more! I have a family of six kids and taking any cruise especially a Disney cruise is a major expense. I calculated what the expected full tip for my family would be and it was around $300.00!! Plus I'm already shelling out almost $4000.00 just for the cruise in two category 10 rooms. Add in airfare which will be around $2500 plus a few hotel night stays and eats and excursions, etc. and I'm guessing I'll be spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $7000-8000!! yes Iam taking my kids out of school to do this. If I went during the days kids are out of school for holiday's or during the summer that figure goes from $7000-8000 to more like $10,000-12,000.

We've never been on a Disney Cruise and who knows we may find it so amazing that I'll cave in and tip the recommended amount, but right now the thought of having to shell out another $300.00 just for someone to clean my room and serve me my food just makes me sick to my stomach. Personally I think 50% is resonable enough at $150.00?

IMHO You should pay them what they deserve. If you think 50% is good and you feel comfortable with that, that's all that matters.

Thank goodness for the people who tip what is asked and sometimes more to compensate for you and your 6 kids they're taking care of.:rolleyes:

IMHO You should pay them what they deserve. If you think 50% is good and you feel comfortable with that, that's all that matters.

Thank goodness for the people who tip what is asked and sometimes more to compensate for you and your 6 kids they're taking care of.:rolleyes:

You figured my 4% tip of $300.00 based on my total cost with airfare. My cruise is only $4000.00.

Your back tracking now. In your last post you said I should stay at home or leave the country. Now my tip of 50% is OK if I feel comfortable with it? Thats what I've been saying all along. :rolleyes: Just because they recommend a certain amount doesn't mean you have to tip that amount. Tip what you feel the job is worth! If you feel its worth 20% or more then go right ahead. Those who feel its worth less then tip less!

Yes, its a good thing there are people like you who tip above and beyond for people like me otherwise we've have a bunch of starving service workers NOT!! :D

Its been fun chatting with ya, but this thread is getting old and has been for a while now, but it keeps popping up like a bad penny. :eek:

I'm done discussing the tipping issue. Those of you who want to continue go right ahead otherwise let the thread die! :p

Happy Cruising

Talk about twisting the subject...wow...

The silliest argument is the one that states "I refuse to pay tips b/c the cruise line pays a low wage." So punish the server that gives outstanding service for 7 days b/c you disagree with the cruise line pay scale:confused:

I agree......and the point they ignore is the cruise fare is much lower because of the "low wages"......so they have already benefited from that......and then they want to punish the workers......with the lie that they are going to punish the cruise line.

I agree......and the point they ignore is the cruise fare is much lower because of the "low wages"......so they have already benefited from that......and then they want to punish the workers......with the lie that they are going to punish the cruise line.

Very good point. I am leaving in 5 days and of course, now I think of the tip I will be paying out and I am like, "Gosh, I hate parting with that money". Now if it was already charged and I had already paid it, like the fare, I wouldn't think twice. But, I will pay what is expected for all of the people in my room because that is how it works. I don't understand all the posts complaining about tipping in this country and the system but then want the service, but don't want to pay for it. If you don't like a tipping society then don't do business with companies that support it. So, don't go on cruises, stay in a hotel and carry your own bags etc. There are alternatives, but the people who serve you shouldn't be penalized. And for the one getting 2 rooms but thinking they shouldn't have to tip the full amount, you are now really messing with your room steward since now they will have 2 rooms under par try to factor into their weekly wages. And, as for "rolling in it", I have yet to talk to any of the service workers who were rolling in it. Most were sending home money to their children etc. to give them a decent shot at life, all the while living away from them in order to do it.

So, as much as it pains me to grab that extra cash to tip next week, it is what is expected and (like it or not) part of the cost of cruising.

Very good point. I am leaving in 5 days and of course, now I think of the tip I will be paying out and I am like, "Gosh, I hate parting with that money". Now if it was already charged and I had already paid it, like the fare, I wouldn't think twice. But, I will pay what is expected for all of the people in my room because that is how it works. I don't understand all the posts complaining about tipping in this country and the system but then want the service, but don't want to pay for it. If you don't like a tipping society then don't do business with companies that support it. So, don't go on cruises, stay in a hotel and carry your own bags etc. There are alternatives, but the people who serve you shouldn't be penalized. And for the one getting 2 rooms but thinking they shouldn't have to tip the full amount, you are now really messing with your room steward since now they will have 2 rooms under par try to factor into their weekly wages. And, as for "rolling in it", I have yet to talk to any of the service workers who were rolling in it. Most were sending home money to their children etc. to give them a decent shot at life, all the while living away from them in order to do it.

So, as much as it pains me to grab that extra cash to tip next week, it is what is expected and (like it or not) part of the cost of cruising.

Why do so many of you relate tipping to service? Service comes from quality staff training, confidence in your employer, man management & a host of other related company policies. Does the Queen of England tip her Footman every time he serves her tea? I have just been on an Italian Line (MSC) where autotips were 6 Euros per day, removable as you wish, with no 15% added to drinks. The service in the Lounges & Decks were as good as any major cruise line so where does the relationship with tipping & service come into the frame as no 'tip' was added & the drink prices were among the lowest I've paid in recent years? My comments to you are not all negative as I wholeheartily agree with you in including the tips in with the fare, as indeed some of the lower priced British cruise companies have done, & would get rid of most of the nonsense talked about who earns what on a cruise ship.

You figured my 4% tip of $300.00 based on my total cost with airfare. My cruise is only $4000.00.

Your back tracking now. In your last post you said I should stay at home or leave the country. Now my tip of 50% is OK if I feel comfortable with it? Thats what I've been saying all along. :rolleyes: Just because they recommend a certain amount doesn't mean you have to tip that amount. Tip what you feel the job is worth! If you feel its worth 20% or more then go right ahead. Those who feel its worth less then tip less!

Yes, its a good thing there are people like you who tip above and beyond for people like me otherwise we've have a bunch of starving service workers NOT!! :D

I'm sorry 7.5%, huge difference!! You're paying $8000. on a cruise and you can't come up with another $150. to tip the people who take care of you? $300. is 4% of your total trip expense, hardly significant when dealing with that amout, IMHO. I'm not backtracking at all, I'm just giving my opinion on the matter. I feel that if you can't tip what is at least recommended then you shouldn't use their services. Stay at home and cook your own meals, go on a vacation where individuals don't take care of you...camping.

It's sad that they (room stewards, cooks, servers and the like) take so much pride in keeping your room clean, the ship clean, serving delicious meals, etc and you tip them 50% because you don't think their job is worth it! How sad for them and again great for the people who recognize this and tip what is asked and more.

Archived