Oahu in 2½ days...

pierces

I just toured your Oahu gallery and loved it. I really like the shots of the pier with high water - classic Pierces compositions there. My overall favorites are the Banyan Tree series. I especially love "Bigger than Hailee". It's like an image from a fairy tale.

Thanks for sharing. It's always a pleasure to look.

I just toured your Oahu gallery and loved it. I really like the shots of the pier with high water - classic Pierces compositions there. My overall favorites are the Banyan Tree series. I especially love "Bigger than Hailee". It's like an image from a fairy tale.

Thanks for sharing. It's always a pleasure to look.

Thanks, as always, for the kind words. I too was intrigued by the banyans. I'd love one in my back yard, but just don't have the patience to wait 200 years for it to grow!

Funny you reference fairy tales. My granddaughter Hailee is five and loves fairy tales. She mentioned the resemblance to "movie trees" when she was under it. I told her to look for a hole somewhere and see if she could find the White Rabbit (She was Alice for Hallowe'en).

Thanks again...glad you enjoyed.

Dave

Great pics Dave, one of these days, I will get to sunny Hawaii. Looks like a great time was had by all on your HI trip.You should check our our new thread NCL Pearl for next year. :) :D :p ;)

Thanks Kelly!

I saw the 11/7/2008 Pearl thread....we were hoping you'd do the fall colors instead! We're open for that time of year, so we'll see. I really had my heart set on blazing fall leaves...we get the "blazing" part out here, but a brush fire just isn't the same!

BTW, our New Zealand trip ends up in Hawaii... You and what's-his-name could join us in March and kill two birds with one Mai Tai!:D

Dave

I thought I'd post a link to photos from our little 3-day visit there over the weekend. We rented a car and toured a lot of Oahu in a fairly short time. You really can see a lot in a couple of days with a car and a map.

Wow, those are some great pictures! Hawaii's really tourist-friendly, so accessibility was so easy the last time I visited. It's too bad some younger people deride it as too "common" sometimes. I think the islands have kept a lot of their charm.

Wow, those are some great pictures! Hawaii's really tourist-friendly, so accessibility was so easy the last time I visited. It's too bad some younger people deride it as too "common" sometimes. I think the islands have kept a lot of their charm.

Thanks!

Except for the Big Island, the Hawaiian islands are pretty small and getting somewhere is pretty easy.

Charming? Yes. My favorite? Not even close.

Oahu's rate of property crimes has been a problem for quite a while (apparently locals feel that anything brought in by a tourist is fair game, ranking Hawaii as the #1 state for theft per 100,000 people 2004-2006) but recent increases in violent crime against tourists made me wary and uncomfortable.

We had a nice trip to Oahu and enjoyed seeing the sights, but won't be going back to visit anytime soon.

Maybe a different island...?

Dave

Thanks!

Though, technically, My beautiful girl had beautiful girls and one of them has the beautiful girls in most of the pictures. :D I was the GWC* on the trip.

Dave

*Grandfather With Camera

Thanks!

Though, technically, My beautiful girl had beautiful girls and one of them has the beautiful girls in most of the pictures. :D I was the GWC* on the trip.

Dave

*Grandfather With Camera

I need your vote/insight on my Nikon DSLR thread - purchase to be made within the next week or two.

Archived