Party Pooper?

Chance's Mom

I hate to sound like a party pooper, but is there any way to go snorkeling in Belize without having to take a 45 minute boat ride? I get sea sick easily, but I can tolerate most shorter trips on small boats. Has anybody done the longer trips without getting sea sick even though they are prone to it? Thanks alot!!

The reef stands well away from the mainland of Belize, as it was designed by the Creator to accommodate the passage of cruise ships without skritching holes in their bottoms. This is seen as a plus by most cruise ship passengers, who don't even like to wear life vests during lifeboat drill, and never think to bring waterproof iPods. If you went on into Belize City, the distance to the reef would be about double the distance you must travel in a small boat from your ship to the reef. So the cruiselines have made an effort to cut your suffering in half or so. But most small craft are unable to match the size of the stabilizers and thrusters of the modern multi-hundred-foot cruise ship: so yes, it is quite possible you will find things a bit choppy for a while.

But with the cost of fuel what it is, you can bet that tour operators will take the shortest whalepath possible to your fishin' hole. Best wishes for a safe and tolerable trip!

Archived