insurance just the basics please...it's so confusing!!

I had insurance first cruise through the ta, 2nd & 3rd didn't, all was fine, but I did get a bad eye infection while on board and it would have been nice to go to the doctor on the ship, but I didn't because of costs. I am traveling with 2 seniors (they bought insurance through AARP for the trip) the rest of our big group did not buy insurance, but I would like to for my daughter and I just to be safe. Nothing too fancy, or expensive. I can't get the insurance from the ta now since it is long past the final payment. I have gone to insuremytrip.com & there is far too many choices. Can anyone simplify and just suggest a basic, for emergencies or lost lugguage?

Today is Thanksgiving Day (Happy Thanksgiving, everyone), so I can't call, but tomorrow I am going to call StaTravel.com (1-800-781-4040). I got this tip from someone on CruiseCritic. It is a travel company for students, but they insure people of any age, I'm told. Their website confirms that insurance is for any age. Looks good. Can't tell from the website if price goes up for older people (my husband is 73 and I'm 68), so I need to call. Looks like $48 for 8-day trip and $70 for 15-day trip for pretty good coverage. Of course, older individuals may have to pay more than that.

I also don't know what is involved if you are past the final payment date.

Give them a try.

STA doesn't change the price for age OR the type of room you have on a cruise. Heck, for that matter, they don't raise it at all. We've had it for several cruises, and found it to be quite economical, and the coverages comparable to the plans offered elsewhere. Also, for future reference, if you purchase it within 10 days of your initial booking, they waive pre-existing conditions - which may or may not apply to you.

In any case.....$49 per person for a weeks worth of medical and travel coverage just can't be beat.

Have a great cruise!

Joe

I had insurance first cruise through the ta, 2nd & 3rd didn't, all was fine, but I did get a bad eye infection while on board and it would have been nice to go to the doctor on the ship, but I didn't because of costs. I am traveling with 2 seniors (they bought insurance through AARP for the trip) the rest of our big group did not buy insurance, but I would like to for my daughter and I just to be safe. Nothing too fancy, or expensive. I can't get the insurance from the ta now since it is long past the final payment. I have gone to insuremytrip.com & there is far too many choices. Can anyone simplify and just suggest a basic, for emergencies or lost lugguage?

You can call travelex or travelguard (both VERY popular choices) and an agent can direct you to the the "right" insurance product. By looking at insuremytrip or the insurancestore, you will get a feel of the categories of coverage. ANd it will help when you talk to an agent directly.

For example, some people have med insurance that covers illnesses out of the country. So they wouldn't put that out there as a priority. My DH and I have elderly, frail parents. We'd have to be here for them if something happened. So we always carry preexisting coverage...for THEM, not neccesarly us. Cancellation for "any reason" might interest you. Covers even a change of mind.

Oh...there are a lot of choices, most packaged in some way or other together. ( I think the most forgotten thing is coverage for the people left behind. ) Just talk to an agent and they'll lead you thru the maze!

Archived