What to bring - first time cruising

dmz

This is a bit of a reverse of the other questions on here. I've already got a bunch of camera gear. But I've never been on a cruise.

I'm trying to figure out if I should bring everything, or just the bare essentials. And what exactly would *be* the bare essentials? I'll be visiting St. Thomas, St. Marin, and Princess Cays.

To go with my 30D, I've got available:

17-40mm f/4 (which I'll be taking for sure)

70-200mm f/4 IS (most likely on the list)

30mm f/1.4 (sigma)

50mm f/1.4

85mm f/1.8

flash

tripod

various filters

I can also beg/borrow/steal other lenses from a number of other people I know.

This is a bit of a reverse of the other questions on here. I've already got a bunch of camera gear. But I've never been on a cruise.

I'm trying to figure out if I should bring everything, or just the bare essentials. And what exactly would *be* the bare essentials? I'll be visiting St. Thomas, St. Marin, and Princess Cays.

To go with my 30D, I've got available:

17-40mm f/4 (which I'll be taking for sure)

70-200mm f/4 IS (most likely on the list)

30mm f/1.4 (sigma)

50mm f/1.4

85mm f/1.8

flash

tripod (Optional...I use mine, but usually only on the ship in the morning)

various filters (Polarizer and graduated ND)

Point & shoot "dinner camera" - A DSLR doesn't go with a tux on formal night...just ask my Wonderful Wife.

I've taken everything from just a P&S to a whole Pelican carry-on full of equipment. After 20+ cruises, the pieces I indicated above are what I found I used 99% of the time. I just got a Tamrac Adventure 7 backpack before the Hawaii trip and was able to carry everything I needed in it. Great bag!

Dave

Whatever you take there will be something missing in the bag.

I have to disagree with Dave. The tripod is a necessity. There will be shots that require it. The ones that stick in my mind from our first cruise are the "before dinner" self-portraits. I took a small pocket tripod and could have used something bigger.

In St. Thomas, I recommend a tour of St. Johns. If you like I will post a few shots.

I really like the primes though. :p They're just not very versatile. :mad:

I wish I had an UWA for on the ship. The Canon 10-22 is really nice, but my goal is to go full-frame soon. And then the 17-40 will be my ultrawide. Too bad I can't swing that before the cruise.

I don't have to contend with a wife yet; but I think similar rules apply with the GF! I got her an XTi for her birthday, so we'll have that with us too.

Do you have / have you used a fisheye on a cruise? I'm thinking it could make for some fun shots.

I really like the primes though. :p They're just not very versatile. :mad:

I wish I had an UWA for on the ship. The Canon 10-22 is really nice, but my goal is to go full-frame soon. And then the 17-40 will be my ultrawide. Too bad I can't swing that before the cruise.

I don't have to contend with a wife yet; but I think similar rules apply with the GF! I got her an XTi for her birthday, so we'll have that with us too.

Do you have / have you used a fisheye on a cruise? I'm thinking it could make for some fun shots.

Not versatile doesn't cut it when hauling stuff half way around the world.

I haven't used a fisheye...never had a great enough need/desire to get one (yet!;)) I just got the Sony 11-18 with the A700 and so far, I really like it! Way sharper than I expected and when used judiciously, very distortion free. it has earned a place in the bag! I hope to use it for some big ol' scenics on our repositioning cruise next March.

That makes for three lenses that I'll carry, plus the Lensbaby. I may pack the 7D as a back-up if I have room.

BTW, I have a Velbon UltraMaxi travel tripod that I carry. I stated that it was optional (and it is...), but as little as I use it, I always take it.

Whatever you take, please use it and bring back some great photos!

Dave

Can't say no to pictures. I'm leaving in a week -- starting to get excited.

My photography is nothing special but it may give you an idea of what to expect. I personally didn't like St. Martin. Princess Cays is a great beach. I rented a sailboat and had a blast. These are from St. Johns.

stthomas1.jpg

stthomas2.jpg

stthomas3.jpg

Archived