Juneau-Shrine of St Therese

joannelyn

While in Juneau last week we visited a wonderful site that has not been mentioned in any of the postings I have seen here. The Shrine of St Therese is located on a small island about 25 minutes north of Juneau. It is a field stone chapel situated on a small island On the day we were there a humpback whale was "traveling" by. There is a lovely labyrinth that visitors can walk as well as the stations of the cross on a path through the woods surrounding the chapel. While this is a Catholic shrine, they are very welcoming to all. I am not Catholic but found this to be a very beautiful and meaningful experience. The website address is [url="http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org"]www.shrineofsainttherese.org[/url]

Also, we took a taxi out to the site and had a wonderful taxi driver. Her name is Becky Bear. She has extensive knowledge of the area and the history of the people. She would be a wonderful tour guide if you are wanting to see some of the sites around Juneau in a more personal way. Her email address is [email]beckybear@excite.com[/email]

Joanne in Charleston, S.C.

I have heard of this shrine before and that it is a very beautiful and peaceful place. Was the taxi ride expensive? Did the driver wait for you? Did you just go out to the shrine or did you take a sort of "taxi tour" of other places. Sorry for all the questions!

We first booked the whale watching expedition through Orca Enterprizes (Capt Larry) who helped me make the arrangements for the taxi. The taxi met us at the pier at the end of the whale watch and was pre-booked to us for 3 hours. I think the cost of that was about $50.00/hr. Pretty expensive but I think it was well worth it. The driver did wait for us and then she took us to some other great sites which we had not read about in any of the "tourist" information. You can email directly to Becky Bear and may be able to work something out with her directly that would be less expensive. By the way, the whale watch was great as well. Glad to answer any questions you may have...Joanne

Archived