What do you girls pay for your Formal Gown?

kiraryker

Now I have a few dresses that I could do as a formal that I've accumulated, so I usually bring one old and buy one new. Only because I hate to see pictures of me in different years in the same dress, haha.

But when I buy a new one, I usually get pretty good deals. My only two cruises have been in September, so I shopped for dresses around July and they had a lot of sales going on then.

I don't like to spend more than fifty bucks on a formal for a cruise, unless I REAAAAAALLLY like it. But, I'm thrifty when it comes to shopping. I always try to find special deals on great things.

I hit up ebay for new dresses each cruise - normally I do not pay more than $10-$15 for a formal gown, though this time I splurged and spent $27 on one I just had to have.

Look early and look often to find the great deals. Then just keep racking them up, keeping them in your closet until you're ready to cruise. I do hang on to them after the cruise just in case some other formal events randomly come up.

I will buy a formal when I find one that is too beautiful and I have to have it or if it's great deal that I just can't pass it up. I now have enough formals that I really shouldn't buy another one. But that would mean I would have to stay out of the formal department. ;) But I do have new gowns for my upcoming cruise in April. :) I haven't gotten any on Ebay but I have gotten some on clearance or sale. I paid full price for a BCBG dress at Nordstroms. It is an ivory silk halter dress, it turned out that I couldn't find a slip that worked so now it's a beautiful nightgown. Oh well.

I guess I'll break the trend here - I have paid anywhere between $200 to $800 for my formal dresses:eek: . I have 8 or 9 dresses I would consider acceptable for formal night, but, they run from size 6 to size 10 (because unfortunately, I have a hard time keeping the weight off:( ). So really, there are only three or four I can wear at any particular size!

I would like to note that between family and business obligations, my evening wear sees a lot of use!

I wish I could find evening wear for under $50 - I envy those of you who get such great buys!

Generally, I bring what I already own. If I have a cruise booked that has a formal night, I'll alway keep an eye out for something new and I might buy it. (especially if it's on sale and hard to resist) But I have enough in my closet to not feel pressured to "have" to buy something new.

I've paid as little as $200. (an elegant black silk crepe classic marked down from $700) and as much as $2500. (marked down from $5000) for a "drop dead gorgeous" bronze/olive silk gown from the couture line of Carmen Marc Valvo.

I love to get a good deal, but never buy off of the internet like EBay. I definitely have to try on dresses to see if they fit well plus to see if it looks well on me. Even if the dress fits perfectly, I may not like the look or the way it lays on me.

That being said, I've gotten some great deals at Loehmann's for $80 and have also spent several hundred at Nordstroms. I've not yet bit the bullet on coutour but I'd be tempted by one that I recently found in Nordies!

I cruise at least once a year (usually twice) and have as many as 3 formal nights so I like to change it up a bit. I will usually take one or two old ones and then treat myself to a new one.

I love to get a good deal, but never buy off of the internet like EBay. I definitely have to try on dresses to see if they fit well plus to see if it looks well on me. Even if the dress fits perfectly, I may not like the look or the way it lays on me.

For me, formal gowns are easy to buy from ebay but I would never buy a pair of jeans online. My 2 floor-length dress from e-bay fit perfectly (both new, one less than 50$ and the other about 80$, including shipping to Canada). I must say that I only buy from internet a dress with a style that I know will fit me well, I would not buy a new style from the internet (by now, I know quite a bit about what type of dress don't fit my very-small breasts\large shoulders upper body :(

Bought two Ralph Lauren black label dresses for this cruise-- $600 (at Century 21) and $400 (Neiman Marcus outlet at Woodbury Commons), but both were originally priced at $2200 each, so more than 75% off. Plus they are classic styles I can easily wear again. To me, it's so worth it to spend a little more for fantastic dresses (you can't beat the quality and the cut) than to spend $300 bucks a pop on a so so Tahari or Laundry dress from Bloomingdales.

I recycled my 2 formal dresses for my first 2 cruises then just bought 1 new outfit for both formal nights on the 3rd cruise.

Next one i'm taking 2 new ones. 1 that I got for a friend's wedding and another new one that i'm ordering from an internet shopping site called Ezi Buy.

I try not to spend more than $100 on a formal dress though because apart from cruising and the VERY occasional wedding, I just don't wear them :(

In the past I've found outfits at rock bottom prices, less than $30. But, like most everything else in my closet, most of those have found their way into the Goodwill bag. I find classic pieces are more of a bargain in the long run, so I am starting to build a wardrobe that will last through several years.

What I will spend the big bucks on is shoes, I cannot tolerate cheapie shoes :)

My whole family hit the jackpot at Goodwill this year. The most expensive was a formal dress for DD for $19.99. DH's tux (complete with shirt, tie, shoes, etc) was $12.99 and looks like it was tailored just for him. I got a long black bridesmaid dress (also looks like it was made for me...quite elegant) for $12.99.

Usually, I save Goodwill just for my growing daughter. This year, we all got really lucky!

I lucked out on an Albert Nippon solid black palazzo pant suit. The one and only time I wandered into a second hand store here in town, the owner had just put this pantsuit out. She had bought it new, worn it once, felt it was to tight for her (she was right) and sold it to me for $37.50!!

The store closed shortly thereafter....but I have my "formal attire" !!

I always wear a new dress...but I am always prepared...

I am a TA, so I know I will cruise several times a year. I hit Dillards up after the seasons, and rarely pay more than $40.00. My ones for next week were $26 and $24 and they are stunning!

I have to try dresses on too... I am a size 8, but my top is about a 12... it is so hard to find dresses that work.

Do you buy one just for your cruise or do you bring one that you already have?? I'm just wondering.

I was lucky - about 2 years ago, I went to the Macy's New Year's sale and found a long 2-piece velvet dress (reg. $200) for around $25 - yep, no lie! They wanted to get rid of all their social dresses to make room for the spring wear so I saved it 'til later on in the year - I still wear it from time to time but am always on the lookout for something new (which I haven't been able to find because I'm very picky)! Always wait for a sale (typically end of season if you can) and use those coupons for an extra 15-20% off - they always help!

Laurie

I guess I can say I've had the best deals yet---My niece owned a bridal and evening wear shop and when she sold out had inventory that the new owner didn't want. I received 5 or 6 gowns that all fit and didn't cost me a dime. Plus my sister does some designing so we have gotten together and remade a couple of the gowns. Just wish I was more into the formal nights on our cruises. I take only one formal dress along most of the time.

Deb

I have spent $100 on a dress many years ago. I wore it on 4 cruises. Since then I've gotten a bit smarter. There are several thrift stores that my car will not pass up. On the last 5 I've worn a black 3 piece stretchy velvet outfit. I think I paid something like $7 for it.:D

I am not a thrift store person, but even without going to thrift stores/eBay you can get great deals, if you shop around. My favorite evening dress I got from BCBG outlet for around $45.

Like many posters I normally recycle one dress and get a new one. To be honest, I have enough of them to just recycle, but I can never resist good deal on gorgeous dress. For my upcoming cruise, I bought darling black baby-doll (LOVE it, it was about $50 after all discounts) and will take my BCBG stand-by.

Generally, I bring what I already own. If I have a cruise booked that has a formal night, I'll alway keep an eye out for something new and I might buy it. (especially if it's on sale and hard to resist) But I have enough in my closet to not feel pressured to "have" to buy something new.

I've paid as little as $200. (an elegant black silk crepe classic marked down from $700) and as much as $2500. (marked down from $5000) for a "drop dead gorgeous" bronze/olive silk gown from the couture line of Carmen Marc Valvo.

I ENVY you...Carmen Marc Valvo is absolutely wonderful! So beautiful, perfect for any figure, and timeless styles. would love to see a pic if you have one...:)

I got my basic black dress at Ross for $25, and have worn it on two cruises. One time I wore it twice on the same cruise :eek: . It's basic enough that either no one noticed, or no one cared. Perhaps they were dazzled by my new necklace, which I got in St Thomas and wore on the second night. At any rate, they didn't say anything, and I thoroughly enjoyed the lobster. :)

Just bought a new gown from Debenhams and then saw they had a 25% off day, so bought it again and took the other one back! ;) Sneaky!!

I try and get some gowns from Ebay, but I think the most I've ever paid was about £200 (approx $400 with the exchange rate at the moment)! But it was by Ben De Lisi and just one of those gowns that makes you feel special!! :) But I also picked a full ball gown for £19 ($38) in a designer clearance a couple of years ago! Wore it once, can't get into it again! :(

Happy shopping!

Karen

Archived