Vancouver Transit

BIG4YA

Have booked a cruise in 9/08 with a two night pre-cruise stay currently a the Hyatt and was wondering is it early to us the city transportation system. I saw somewhere that there are hop on hop off tours available but it seems that the city transportation is cheaper with the option to that the train, bus, or seabus.

I tend to use the SkyTrain, because you can buy a day pass, and I find it a lot easier than trying to get bus information on a same day basis.

Grey Line does have a hop on hop off tour bus, and you can get information on that from the concierge desk at the Hyatt. It goes to most of the major attractions around the downtown/English Bay area.

Also fun, if you like that kind of thing, is the Granville Island Water Taxi. They look like little tub toys, but they also go to a lot of the major attractions around the bay, are easy to use, and not outrageously expensive.

I know that it is zone priced, just like here in Seattle, and that I always buy the one for the most zones, but I haven't been up since the $CDN has gotten to be worth more than USD, so I'm not sure of the current pricing, but it is good for all day for just the day that you purchase it. (i.e. have to purchase another one for the following day).

The Grey Line tour trolley is one price for all day as well. About $25.00 CDN per person the last time I took it, but that was 2005.

The all day transit pass is good for only the date it's purchased on (not for a 24 hour period from the time of purchase as some cities do) and is good for all three fare zones. The pass is good on all translink buses, the skytrain and seabus. Check out the website: http://www.translink.bc.ca. If you go to Granville Island, you might want to use the Grandville Island Ferries or the Aquabus, which offer small enclosed boat service to/from various points on False Creek to Granville Island. The cost depending on the distance you're travelling can be from $2.50 to $5.00, but it offers a different perspective of the city from the water, and I think worth the extra cost. The websites for them are: http://www.granvilleislandferries.bc.ca and http://www.theaquabus.com. There are the hop on/off tour buses, but if you check out the above websites you will see that you can easily get around Vancouver by transit on your own. Have a great trip.

Archived