Hurricane Ivan Information

CruiseFever

You should be set for Cancun!! They were pretty much spared. good thing they were on the left side of it!!!.........[url]http://www.stormcarib.com/reports/2004/mexico.shtml[/url]

I can tell you anything you want to know about MOM. I can check on her anytime too if you ever need me too. You have my email!! I would be more than happy too!!! :)

Sue:

We were discussing Key West yesterday...........just checked their website and things appear pretty much back to order.........the Hogs Breath Saloon has their webcam up and they are open for business! Several were partaking!:rolleyes:

[quote name='baileyboy']Yeah, I saw a guy interviewed (a Brit I think) who lives in panhandle, said "if it's a 4, we'll leave, but not if it's a 3"... does he have *any* idea???[/QUOTE]
No he doesn't. It's kinda of frightening to listen some of the people around here. I stopped to get ice and the cashier, said, "people are way overreacting, it's just a storm!" :eek: Most are taking it very seriously, there are a few who are not. At this point, I think iit's too late to leave. There isn't a hote to be had from here to the east coast and all the way to Texas to the west and as far north to Tenn. People who evacuated to Louisiana have been told to go to Galveston. Also the traffic will be gridlocked on all evacuation routes for those who have decided to wait last minute. A large area of Escambia County has been told to evacuate, not just the beach areas. I'm no where near water and my area is the last before the evacuation area begins. I've never seen anything like it. I'm all set to go further to the northern end of the county. House is boarded and car is packed...now the waiting begins. I think that's the hardest :eek:

[quote name='Salty Dawg']Host Miriam,

Makes Chicago look better & better... even considering the snow & winds they get there at times.[/QUOTE]
No kidding Salty Dawg -- and I can tell you about the winds there -- I once had to have help crossing a street because the wind was so high and I couldn't walk against it! Too bad the guy who helped me across ended up being one of my co-workers. :(

I'm thinking of starting my own evacuation plan, but I"m ready for whatever happens here -- I have a full tank of gas, food and litter for my cat, food for my dog, suitcases are easy to get to, flashlights have batteries, I have plenty of food and will cook tomorrow in case we lose power, a battery-operated NOAA weather radio with AM/FM .... I don't like what they're saying here. I don't think I could live in Florida. I'll take those Chicago winters!

All the talk here is of Opal and what it was like when it came through here in '95. I remember it well. I was trying to walk two greyhounds in hurricane force winds! Funny thing was, we didn't lose our power until the next day when it was beautiful out!

There is an updated thread on the RC board with updated info on the damage to Cayman..........later I will try and post the link over here...........

Church street is indeed destroyed.........according to the report, everything on the sea side of Church Street is GONE! Church st completely destroyed.......also one of the posters says the Turtle Farm is destroyed and GONE........

I'm guessing all of the "docks" where the tender boats used to tie up is gone...it may be quite some time before cruise ships can go to Cayman.........

I'll try later and post the link if anyone is interested.

[quote name='Salty Dawg']Host Miriam,
In case you have to evacuate & take them with you don't forget to be prepared with carriers/crates to bring along for the fur babies...[/QUOTE]
Salty Dawg, thanks for the reminder. I should put the carriers near the door. See what you can learn on these boards?

Actually, I'm staying here, but if something happens, I'll be ready to go, if I can get out. The weather is starting to go downhill already, kind of strange. They're not predicting much before tomorrow night. Can you believe they're so concerned so far inland?

I just heard the water and electricity were being turned off at four resorts in Panama City Beach in about 10 minutes. Most people are gone.

weather channel reports from the NHC.........4pm CDT advisory.........

They expect Ivan to hit landfall Thursday morning as a Category 4.........apparently not weakening as much as they first thought........

They are now saying Gulf Coast of Alabama or maybe extreme Western FLA panhandle as the likely impact point.

[quote name='isujim']weather channel reports from the NHC.........4pm CDT advisory.........

They expect Ivan to hit landfall Thursday morning as a Category 4.........apparently not weakening as much as they first thought........

They are now saying Gulf Coast of Alabama or maybe extreme Western FLA panhandle as the likely impact point.[/QUOTE]
I just heard the same thing. They were talking about the storm surge and it looks like Alabama, Mobile, may get hit, but they're still not sure. Oh my.

I guess it never hurts to laugh when the going gets rough.

Top 10 Reasons Hurricane Season is Like Christmas

10. Decorating the house (boarding up windows).

9. Dragging out boxes that haven't been used since last season (camping
gear, flashlights).

8. Last minute shopping in crowded stores.

7. Regular TV shows pre-empted for "specials".

6. Family coming to stay with you.

5. Family and friends from out-of-state calling.

4. Buying food you don't normally buy ... and in large quantities.

3. Days off from work.

2. Candles.

And the number one reason Hurricane Season is like Christmas ...

1. At some point you know you're going to have a tree in your house!

Can't we all just close our eyes and sleep until November! :p

You're welcome Sue. I just got that in an email from my best friend in Tampa. They just moved down there in June and their new neighbors have threatened to pack them up and send them back up here to Maryland. I wouldn't mind that at all!
Barb

Just checking in before I have to go out again. Larsen, I love your list as I'm a big DL fan on TV.
We were supposed to get some heavy rain today but nothing really materialized.The radio weatherman said that a band of rain was coming up from the South towards Highlands County so we may get it tonight into tomorrow-Thursday.As I was leaving work, the trucks were outside finally picking up the combined debris from Charley and Frances.Progress!
Take care. I'll check in later. Sue, I never did wake up today or put on my make-up-but my residents loved me anyway! Lynne

Just checked in with my cousins in New Orleans. Local meteorologists there think that the low pressure system now in East Texas will nudge Ivan away from a direct hit on poor below-sea-level N.O. The cousins live in an 1800's house in Faubourg Marigny, which is immediately west of the French Quarter (i.e. very close to the river - the lowest spot). They are braced and boarded and have moved everything of value to the second floor. They have not yet been ordered to evacuate, but will be coming to Lafayette on their own by very early tomorrow if they feel they need to.

That storm surge in Cayman scares me to death. South Louisiana in one vast swamp, much of it below sea level. Even just a 10 foot storm surge will put a large part of this area under water. My house sits just 4' above sea level (too high for flood insurance - go figure!) and less than a quarter mile from the Vermillion River. Though we didn't get any serious flooding two years ago with Lilly, it's always our chief concern down here.

I sure don't want to wish that monster off on anyone else, but I sure do hope that it spares poor New Orleans!

Archived