Discover Scuba

adams.580

Has anyone tried the Discover Scuba shore excusion in Roatan through NCL? I am wondering how much time is spent in the water and how much in the classroom. I am also wondering what shape the equipment is in and what the dive site is like. I haven't found any recent posts on this excursion, so any help is appreciated!

Has anyone tried the Discover Scuba shore excusion in Roatan through NCL? I am wondering how much time is spent in the water and how much in the classroom. I am also wondering what shape the equipment is in and what the dive site is like. I haven't found any recent posts on this excursion, so any help is appreciated!

I haven't done Discover Scuba in Roatan, but I have in Hawaii and Cozumel. You'll spend about an hour in a pool (no classroom) going over basics like clearing your mask, "popping" your ears, the gauges, signals, etc. Then you go on your dive(s). You are watched very closely by the dive masters the whole time. After doing these "resort dives" 4 times, I decided to heck with it. I'm getting certified! And I did in October. :D Our cruise in April stops in Roatan. Can't wait to go diving. I'll probably get my DH to do the Discover Scuba in Cozumel. Hopefully, I can go with him. I've found the equipment to be in really good shape where I've gone.

• 4 months later...

Unable to find any good info on discovery dive besides cruise ships excersion. Googled and all I find are shops that want you do classroom work and stay and dive packages. We did dive in Grand Cayman and Costa Maya last year and loved it! I hope someone can help...PLEASE!!!:D

Unable to find any good info on discovery dive besides cruise ships excersion. Googled and all I find are shops that want you do classroom work and stay and dive packages. We did dive in Grand Cayman and Costa Maya last year and loved it! I hope someone can help...PLEASE!!!:D

hey, there are several operators that offer this, they call it the resort course. Check out this link: (if I did it right);)

http://roatanet.com/listing/roatan-diving.php

also you can check out the CC diving forum, they have some suggestions

we are using: http://www.bananaramadive.com/divePrices.php

If you would like to start a dive shop...Rotan is where I would start one!

I have contacted nemerous shops and not ONE has responded. I have a party of 4 to do discovery dive and no one wants the job:mad: :mad: :mad:

We booked the Beginner Scuba excursion thru Carnival for 4-16 and an hour before the ship was to dock we got a flyer saying it had been cancelled due to "operational difficulties". I believe the tour was cancelled because they didn't have enough people. We got the Pursar's desk to call Bananarama for us and got something scheduled. Tel: 011 504-445-5005 or in the US, 727-564-9058. info@bananaramadive.com www.bananaramadive.com It ended up being just my boyfriend and I for the class and the dive, which was nice. The instructor was great. The resort was okay... it wasn't super luxurious or anything, more of a bohemian atmosphere, but it was in good proximitity to nice beaches, e.g.,Tabanya beach (West Bay). I was in Roatan 5 years ago and did a discover scuba class with Luna Beach Resort www.lunabeachresort.com in the West End. That resort is a little nicer/newer/luxurious than Bananarama and has a pool. They have a different dive instructor now, so I can't comment on him, but at least before it was a very well run operation with well maintained equipment.

I hope you can get something worked out!

I did the Beginning Scuba in Roatan through Subway Water Sports (www.subwaywatersports.com) and it was wonderful! Patrick, the owner, emailed me back right away and was very helpful answering questions about our visit to Roatan in February '08. We arrived on Voyager of the Seas and Patrick met us at the pier, introduced us to our driver (who turned out to be our dive master as well) and away we went. The Beginning Scuba program was $95 and included a DVD and some paperwork, then a demonstration in the pool. The folks at Subway were wonderful and the beach and scuba/snorkeling was incredibly beautiful! I highly recommend Subway. Take a look at their website and send Patrick an email. :)

Janpatch

I see the OP already sailed, but in case anyone searching still needs the info, NCL uses Anthony's Key for their Discover Scuba excursion. You spend about 20 mins drive to get to the location, 30-40 mins in classroom going over basics and signing forms, then onto the dive boat to a shallow location (around 4-1/2 feet) to practice basic skills, then on to the dive site for about a 40 minute dive.

My equipment was fine, but one guy's air gauge was malfunctioning and they replaced his setup. It wasn't top-end equipment, but none of us drowned so I guess it was ok. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I have exhaused all my leads, searches message boards and NO ONE has responded to my pleas. I had to book with the ship or forgo diving. I really hate to go with a huge crowd...hope I will be safe. Wish me luck!

Archived