Just back from the Pearl

MrsLeo

I'm pretty shocked by your outburst! What business is if of yours to question another's methods of rearing their children?! God knows what you'd have to say about my parents who sent me and my brother to boarding school at the ages of 11! As they say in my part of the world, wind your neck in! :)

Shocked!! Why have children to send them away:confused:

Guess they "wound their necks in" and sent you off:eek:

In my opinion, a family vacation is to spend time with the family. If not, leave the kids at home:)

And, stop complaining about the kids crew staff!

My son loved the kids program on Royal Caribbean. I have not been on NCL but I am going to go on the 9 day southern on the pearl in february.

If my son wants to go spend a few hours with kids he meets on the ship I am not going to tell him he has to spend every minute with me because its "family" time. I want him to enjoy his cruise as well. Its pretty ridiculous to bag on someone because they want to have a few hours to themselves on a cruise. The beauty of a cruise is there are so many things to do.

Cosmopolitan, if my daughter wants to play in the kids club with the other kids I should begrudge her that? What makes you think we are looking to get rid of them? Did it ever occur to you that THEY want to go and have fun doing kid oriented activities with others their age? How you feel about kids clubs it your business but I would venture a guess as to say the vast majority of kids and parents are very much in favor of these programs as every single cruise line has them with the exeption of some of the luxury cruises.

Mrsleo, I was on the 11/16 Pearl cruise and we have done about 12 cruises now with our daughter between Celebrity and Princess. I cannot make a blanket NCL statement but will say that the Pearls Kids program is by far the one I was least impressed with. Besides their silly sign in rules that none of the other lines have (Freestyle?? LOL...NOT!!!), the fact that one of their activities on a normal day (not a port day)is watching TV, the fact that on the last day of the cruise we needed to pack and check our accounts and do that last minute stuff and they decided that the parents needed to be at the pizza making from 3-5 PM....(other lines do the pizza making with the kids only- parent attendance is optional)...

Anyway I have never seen a kids staff work so little- they have it made. (I should add my dh did this job for Club Med for 10 years.)

I wrote all about it on my comment card at the end of the cruise so who knows? Maybe they will listen.

All in all though we enjoyed the rest of our cruise, too.

I was on this cruise too. We didn't even take our kids to the clubs because my nephew and daughter are 9 and 12. We wanted to put them in the 10-12 together, and they are very strict on not allowing this. However... my nephew was turning 10 the day after cruise. ONE DAY AFTER. That's ridiculous.

I too, loved the ship. I only sailed Disney before with kids. This ship was prettier and had a lot of nooks and crannies with comfy chairs, loungers, and more activities.

I, unlike Mrs. Leo, was extremely disappointed with the food. I'm used to other ships with over the top dinners. Cagney's was the best dinner, but honestly, I've had better steaks at Outback. But it was still good. The main dining room had cheap cuts of meat and nothing to get excited over. I didn't have any desserts at all that I liked.

Other than the food, this was an EXCELLENT cruise. Second City was good, the jugglers were funny, the nightclubs were cool and there were a lot of fun activities.

We were on the 11/16 sailing of the pearl and had a minisuite. Did not have a concierge and at least we were never notified that we had one or had no way of contacting one. We did not get fresh fruit everyday, only the first day. The fruit we did not eat was still sitting in the bowl after 9 days. We had a vase for a flower, but it remained empty the whole trip.

Thank you for such a nice review... we, dh and I, will be on the pearl in 6 weeks and cant wait... so far we have, about 35 others in our little CC group from the roll call... its gonna be an awesome cruise i can tell..

one question from me.. What night is the captains dinner??

we are on the 9 night southern caribbean cruise... room 11156. mini suite also. do all mini suites have the concierge?? we had a mini suite in alaska also, and we had use of the concierge then too. and the friut. it was just soooo nice!!! we were surprised with getting the service.

thank you, swt

Hey Rachel,

Aside from Cagneys and the main dining rooms where else did you eat dinner? Also what cuts did you order? Filet, Strip, Porterhouse? I am curious just because we only ate in the main dining room once (I am pretty sure I didn't have steak there) and then when we did order steak it was nearly always filet mignon/tenderloin, so I may need to edit my review to be more specific. I wouldn't want to steer someone wrong.

I doubt it....family time is "family time" on or off the ship;)

I would NEVER leave my children on a ship while I wandered off for a day. What if there was an emergency:confused:

It wasn't a lecture it was a point since it seemed to be your MAJOR complaint.

Though, I dislike bringing this topic AGAIN to the top...did ANY of you answer my question:confused: ...in RED above!...NO!

Cosmo, I don't have children so I can't answer your question about what you would do in case of an emergency from personal experience...but I can say that a lot of people do leave their children on the ship while in port (many "cruiser" friends have done this). I would think that you would do the same as if you were out for the night at home and had a babysitter watching your children - go back home, or in this case the ship. Get into a taxi and go back to the ship, simple as that. While your opinion is valid with how you like to spend time with your children on vacation, others like to do things differently. I think that the way you put them down was uncalled for.

I don't think any of your posts merit an answer. But here ya go, since it is obvious you want to keep the judgmental tone of your orignal post going. The kid's crew are authorized to seek medical care for my child in my absence. We have trip insurance which covers medical treatment and or evacuation. I have left 10 mile radius walkie talkies with the kid's crew in my absence in the past. With this kid's crew, it was nearly impossible to go to the thermal spa, let alone leave the ship for more than an hour or two. The kid's club is not a baby sitting service, it is a place which enriching activities where kid's socialize and learn. They do science projects, arts and crafts. They have a whole ecology segment on protecting the oceans. You seem to have some preconceived notion that people are just dumping their kid's and forgetting they are parents while they cruise along. I also can tell you that the best parents need to come together once in a while as a couple and as individuals, and children need to develop a sense of independence and learn how to interact as autonomous individuals. To imply that parents who allow their children to attend the kid's club's are selfish or negligent is just incorrect. Since I spend each day with my kids, homeschooling them, I feel this is very important. They need to learn to interact with more people than just me.

Regarding emergencies: Every time I walk out my front door, there is a chance that disaster may strike. Doing anything, innocuous as it may seem, the unexpected can happen. I can say without a doubt that ship is a safer place for my child than some of the ports that the cruise ships go to. They have trained staff to deal with emergencies, they know who to contact, if something should happen to me, they can provide medical care, or evacuate to a place where advance care is available. Your posts leave me with the distinct impression that you have absolutely no clue about what you are talking about.

By the way for the record folks, this thread is about my impressions of our recent cruise on the Pearl. It is not about subjecting parents who choose to utilize the kid's club to judgment and condemnation. If anyone chooses to post a thread along those lines, start your own thread, and don't hijack mine.

Well said, that's why I'm not responding to Cosmo's questions. Just start a new thread Cos.

Anyway, as far as the food, I ate at Cagney's, and it was good. I ate at La Cuccina and that steak was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. The two steaks I had in the dining room were TERRIBLE. The first one was a strip steak with no flavor, and very chewy. It wasn't much thicker than a minute steak. All of the steaks were overcooked. Then next night in the main dining I had a sirloin steak. Big mistake. This one was completely unedible. My daughters both ordered garlic chicken and had to send it back, which is out of character since they aren't picky eaters.

I had fajitas twice at the buffet. The first day they were good. The second time they were like leather. I didn't dare try it again. and did you see the "mexican buffet"? That was pitiful. All in all, unless you ate at the pay restuarants, the food was not good.

For that reason, I'm not DYING to rebook anytime soon. That's not to say that I wouldn't cruise her again. I'm not a fan of the kids clubs either, and the pool was ice cold, but there were also a lot of pros. All in all, it was still a good time.

I don't think any of your posts merit an answer. But here ya go, since it is obvious you want to keep the judgmental tone of your orignal post going. The kid's crew are authorized to seek medical care for my child in my absence. We have trip insurance which covers medical treatment and or evacuation. I have left 10 mile radius walkie talkies with the kid's crew in my absence in the past. With this kid's crew, it was nearly impossible to go to the thermal spa, let alone leave the ship for more than an hour or two. The kid's club is not a baby sitting service, it is a place which enriching activities where kid's socialize and learn. They do science projects, arts and crafts. They have a whole ecology segment on protecting the oceans. You seem to have some preconceived notion that people are just dumping their kid's and forgetting they are parents while they cruise along. I also can tell you that the best parents need to come together once in a while as a couple and as individuals, and children need to develop a sense of independence and learn how to interact as autonomous individuals. To imply that parents who allow their children to attend the kid's club's are selfish or negligent is just incorrect. Since I spend each day with my kids, homeschooling them, I feel this is very important. They need to learn to interact with more people than just me.

Regarding emergencies: Every time I walk out my front door, there is a chance that disaster may strike. Doing anything, innocuous as it may seem, the unexpected can happen. I can say without a doubt that ship is a safer place for my child than some of the ports that the cruise ships go to. They have trained staff to deal with emergencies, they know who to contact, if something should happen to me, they can provide medical care, or evacuate to a place where advance care is available. Your posts leave me with the distinct impression that you have absolutely no clue about what you are talking about.

Very well said, Mrs. Leo.

Thanks Libby and Rachel!

Rachel that would explain the disparity and why it seemed like we were on two different cruises with respect to our opinions on the food. I had beef in Cagneys, Teppanyaki, and Lotus Garden, never in the Summer Palace or in the buffet. I really do avoid the buffets if I can, except for a few select items. I do love the breads they bake on the ship that I find on the buffet. The fruit is usually fine, coffee is good, and the kids love the children's area of the buffet.

I admit it, d/h and I are foodies and enjoy trying out all the speciality restaurants, but you are probably right, that if I only ate in the main dining room or the buffet, my impressions of the food quality may have been very different.

Thank you so much for your review. We are cruising for the first time ever on the Pearl this Sunday. I'm so excited I can't stand it!!

As for "family" vacations....cosmopolitan, you DO NOT have to spend every waking hour of a vacation with your children to have it be considered a "family" vacation. The kids are part of the family and they have things they want to do as well. My girls, ages 6 and 9 are very much looking forward to spending some time at the kid's club. I'm hoping that they like it but not TOO much as I do want them to spend time with me. However...if they wanted to go every day for as long as they could I would let them (as it's their vacation too) and I would expect that the people running the kid's club would be just as excited to be there as the kids.

mrsleo...thanks again.

"Though, I dislike bringing this topic AGAIN to the top...did ANY of you answer my question ...in RED above!...NO!"

OK, how about this response:
Though in all my cruises I have not left my daughter on board while I went out in one of the ports, if for some reason I ever chose to do that I keep with me this great invention called a cell phone. Its a Blackberry, too, which means it works anywhere in the world where I travel. If there is a problem, they can call me and I would go back to my daughter, same as if she had a problem in school or anywhere else she may be without me.

Mrs. Leo, sorry for perpetuating the hijack.

As I was reading all the comments people are making about children going cruising I was smiling and shaking my head a little.

This is my husband speaking: "I don't believe cruising is for kids. I didn't get to cruise until I was 50 years old! Cruising is for adults!"
and on and on.....

For a long time when my son wanted to go my DH would just say no..you can go when you are an adult just like me....so on and so on...I have to give parents a thumbs up that bring their kids on a cruise. To me they are being unselfish.

My husband and I go on cruises without kids because that's how we get a sanity check and restoration....lol.

My son ended up on 2 cruises with some begging (Carnival which he loved. just a 3 dayer and RC which he didn't like at all). He was offered a christmas cruise this year and amazingly...turned it down. So maybe my husband is right...sometimes...lol.

Have fun!

"This is my husband speaking: "I don't believe cruising is for kids. I didn't get to cruise until I was 50 years old! Cruising is for adults!"
and on and on....."
You know what Linda, your husband has a point.....kids also don't need cell phones at 8 years old and 27,000 presents under the Christmas tree. I am almost embarassed to say my 7 year old has been on 13 cruises when some adults have never cruised at all.

That said, Thanksgiving and Christmas are 2 holidays that we could never leave our child to go on vacation , not to mention that we have no one that could take care of her for me while we went.

Just to echo...the hairdryers work well!!!

Bisous, I know what you're saying. We're very much in the same boat (no pun intended) this was our kids 7th cruise and we have two more on the books for 2008. My kids have seen things, most will only get to read about in books, now that's an education! When kids talk about the Blue Morpho butterfly they saw on Go Diego Go! My kid has stood in the middle of a rainforest as one flew by him!
Cruising has been a wonderful thing for our family.

MrsLeo....you make a wonderful point about bringing your kids to different places and experiencing what most don't get. Think also of what books can do? take you to places through word...using their imagination while reading the creative words of a place in this world and experience like the butterfly. Where would we be without books? I had to throw that thought in.... :-).

Unfortunately when my son at age 12 got to sail on his first cruise he didn't give 2 hoots about any of the ports. All he cared about was hanging out with the kids he met on the cruise and eating. We practically had to beg him to leave the ship when we were in port!...oh well...he definitely got an experience though. My first idea of a trip for a child is one where the family spends time in Haiti helping those less fortunate or the Dominican Republic driving through very poor areas and meeting children that are happy with a tin can for a toy.

There is all kinds of experiences and possibilities for learning.

[quote name='Cosmopolitan']Though, I dislike bringing this topic AGAIN to the top...did ANY of you answer my question:confused: ...in RED above!...NO![/QUOTE]

Your question was what if there is an emergency?

First, the OP was NOT going off the ship. She was going to the spa. Did you ever hear of a ship's PA system? You must be aware from the lifeboat drills that you have attended that there are procedures for emergencies specifically related to kids and parents. I would imagine that a dedicated parent would pay specific attention to that part of the lifeboat drill. I do - even though we've been on 30 cruises and maybe 17 or 19 of them on NCL ships are different and rules/procedures change. If there is an emergency, I'd get dressed, fly up to the kids crew or wherever i'd need to go and see to my kid's needs?

Second, by your reasoning, there shouldn't be a kids program on any ship. No parent should ever be allowed to be separated from their child on any trip that they take together. What would you propose instead? That parents put leashes on their kids to keep them attached the entire time? Or that the kids have NO program to attend at ANY hour so that those who are not tied to their parents run rampant throughout the ship? I don't think you'd like that either (I wouldn't.)

Third, the whole point of signing the kids in and out is for their safety and for CYA/limiting legal liability purposes for NCL. It's an inconvenience (and an affront to the older more independent kids), but one that gives me some comfort that if there is a lunatic among the 2498 other passengers on the ship, they'd have to at least show up at kids crew to get my kid, rather than being able to grab the child while he/she is wandering alone around the ship.

Fourth, they make chocolate cookies and vanilla cookies for a reason. People don't have to like the same thing. I for one love my kids dearly, but find I am a better parent to them when I have a few minutes to myself on a regular basis -- and that occasionally includes a hot stones massage or dancing with my husband. At least on a ship, I am at most five minutes away from the kids if they need me and I ALWAYS tell them (or the nanny) where I will be. They ALWAYS know I will drop all if they need me. It is not as if the OP is dropping off her kid in a dangerous or unhealthy situation, nor do i get the impression that they are being forced to get out of mommy's hair and be tortured by going to Kids Crew. YOU are fully entitled to raise your kids as you see fit, including if you like never dropping them at a friend's house to play without you, never letting them experience any independence from you and never allowing them to be more than one step away. Tell me, do they come to the rest room with you? If not, then aren't you too taking a few minutes of privacy each day from your kids? There could be an emergency while they are in the restaurant and you are in the rest room? What would you do then? Don't tell me it's not the same as going to the spa - resting the body and mind of the mother is as much a bodily function and necessary for the survival of some as are other biological functions. Just because someone doesn't do things the same way that you do gives you no right to attack without full knowledge of the facts and circumstances of the situation. And even then, while you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, you might want to temper your attack so as not to be caught up in the illogic of your own position.

Fifth, NCL ADVERTISES kids crew as a great place for the kids to have fun safely while parents do other things. If they don't schedule kids crew in a smart way, then they don't live up to the implied promise of their advertising. I think that was in part the OP's point.

For the record, I have two boys, one who's been there and done that and isn't interested in going to Kids Crew any more and another who is young enough never to have gone (but who might go on our next trip IF i think the activities and staff are appropriate-- I don't just drop my kid with just anyone). I also bring someone on the trip with me (our nanny this time) so that I can have peace of mind that they are well cared for while I take some time to care for myself. I am ALWAYS reachable on the ship and accountable to and for my kids. I take my kids to the restaurants so that they learn how to behave properly and we will leave if they cannot do so (and there are appropriate consequences). We schedule our shore excursions with family fun in mind. I have kids that are polite, respectful of others and themselves and generally are a delight to be around, but who are not perfect. You won't find my kids running rampant on the ship or anywhere else, but you also won't find them leashed to my side.

Hope that answers your question.

Sorry if I perpetuated the 'hijack.' I didn't see your request until after I responded to Cosmopolitan's post.

We are boarding the Pearl on 12/23 for the 14 days over the holidays. sounds as if it is a good thing that we don't expect much from the food.

did you happen to notice if they had any ballroom dancing scheduled during the cruise? if so, which cruise- the five day or the nine day and which night?

thanks.

Archived