Passenger Missing Off Fantasy This Past Sailing

Rowan555

I hate hearing that.........was on that same cruise, and I must say I felt like jumping off myself. It was totally the worst cruise I have ever taken and I have been on 11 cruises on different lines. I can comfortably say I will NEVER EVER take another Carnival Cruise, especially out of New Orleans. It was found out only after we were aboard that it was a theme cruise (BLUES CRUISE, KATRINA VICTIMS AND CHURCH GROUPS........I'm wondering why noones TA knew about this when we were booking the cruise. Also I have never been on a ship with such blah staff members. The only smile and friendly reparte I got was in the dining room. It was one disappointment after the next. My husband's dive was cancelled.......not enough people diving in Cozumel???? never heard of that before........everwhere you went was crowded and noisy....never could relax and when we got home......I found our liquor order was not our order!!!! I know you are saying I should have checked the box......well I just assume people who do this everyday do their jobs correctly........never assume huh? I know I have gotten off subject but I will be posting a review soon. I'm ready for agreements or blasting, whichever I get.

Angie

No blasting here. I am sorry that you cruise wasn't everything that is should have been. As someone who has cruised on the Fantasy 3 times since last December, I can assure you the "groups" were a fluke. Unfortunately, the luck (or bad luck) of the draw.

I will say the same to you that I have told people who have come back from their first RCCL, Celebrity, Hal and said "never again".... I would not judge an entire cruiseline by one cruise.

If the Carnival product was ok (not the clientele)...give them another try.

Yes, people make mistakes (like with liquor orders). Ours has never been wrong in 18 cruises since 1998. So this is obviously not a common occurance. And while the clientele on board should not affect the performance of the staff, I believe it is human nature for it to happen.

We have a church group that meets in Memphis once a year. The wait staff at restaurants know that they are going to be worked to the bone with ridiculous requests and complaints and then stiffed on the tips. Experienced wait staff literally plan their vacations to be gone this week. I can assure you that these employees moods are not the best during that time.

Again, not making excuses. It was what it was. I just know that Carnival can do better for a very good price. I would hope you will give them the opportunity to show you what a good cruise at a great price they can provide.

Ever think about this man's possible suicide and considering maybe it was some horific accident or maybe a crime occured

With his door having the "safety lock" secure....I am no detective, but I would rule out foul play.

An accident is possible. The railings on those balconies are high enough that under normal use...falling over board is most probably impossible...however, I just saw a picture last week on another board of some adult lady "standing" on the balcony chair and looking over the side of the ship. Definately not smart. So if he was doing something like that, he could have accidently gone over I guess.

No blasting here. I am sorry that you cruise wasn't everything that is should have been. As someone who has cruised on the Fantasy 3 times since last December, I can assure you the "groups" were a fluke. Unfortunately, the luck (or bad luck) of the draw.

I will say the same to you that I have told people who have come back from their first RCCL, Celebrity, Hal and said "never again".... I would not judge an entire cruiseline by one cruise.

If the Carnival product was ok (not the clientele)...give them another try.

Yes, people make mistakes (like with liquor orders). Ours has never been wrong in 18 cruises since 1998. So this is obviously not a common occurance. And while the clientele on board should not affect the performance of the staff, I believe it is human nature for it to happen.

We have a church group that meets in Memphis once a year. The wait staff at restaurants know that they are going to be worked to the bone with ridiculous requests and complaints and then stiffed on the tips. Experienced wait staff literally plan their vacations to be gone this week. I can assure you that these employees moods are not the best during that time.

Again, not making excuses. It was what it was. I just know that Carnival can do better for a very good price. I would hope you will give them the opportunity to show you what a good cruise at a great price they can provide.

Well in my opinion the Carnival product was not good. This is the 4th Carnival Cruise I've taken and I saw such a huge difference. I realize Carnival is the "affordable" cruiseline, but I paid much more for an unprivate balcony that we could hardly fit on and was never treated nicely by staff and all in all I'm sorry but it was awful. I have tried to tell my friends they need to try one more cruise on another line, but right now the experience is too fresh in their minds to listen. I can't blame them

Angie

I was also on the Fantasy this past cruise. By the description of the age/room type/town he was from/and the fact that a man of the same first name was repeatedly paged as we waited to disembark, I think we may have talked to the gentleman on formal night.

If it is him, he was a very nice gentleman, but had the air of being a little depressed. He talked about having had a wonderful 40+ year marriage where he had lost his wife, followed by a rebound marriage that did not end well where the ex wife spent enourmous amounts of money. He spoke of some property losses resulting from the break up.

I am hoping I am wrong, because he was such a nice gentleman, but I have a bad feeling that he may have decided to end it all.

Well in my opinion the Carnival product was not good. This is the 4th Carnival Cruise I've taken and I saw such a huge difference. I realize Carnival is the "affordable" cruiseline, but I paid much more for an unprivate balcony that we could hardly fit on and was never treated nicely by staff and all in all I'm sorry but it was awful. I have tried to tell my friends they need to try one more cruise on another line, but right now the experience is too fresh in their minds to listen. I can't blame them

Angie

That's an honest response. Carnival is clearly not the product that every one wants. Sounds like you have given them enough tries to make an informed decision about whether they can fill your cruising expectations.

I am just sad that your last cruise with them had to be on such a horrible note and under circumstances that are not the usual for Carnival.

Hope whomever you cruise with you will have smooth seas, warm days and cool drinks!!!

I was also on the Fantasy this past cruise. By the description of the age/room type/town he was from/and the fact that a man of the same first name was repeatedly paged as we waited to disembark, I think we may have talked to the gentleman on formal night.

If it is him, he was a very nice gentleman, but had the air of being a little depressed. He talked about having had a wonderful 40+ year marriage where he had lost his wife, followed by a rebound marriage that did not end well where the ex wife spent enourmous amounts of money. He spoke of some property losses resulting from the break up.

I am hoping I am wrong, because he was such a nice gentleman, but I have a bad feeling that he may have decided to end it all.

That just breaks my heart. To feel so hopeless must be a horrible feeling.

Its sad. I enjoying cruising to much to ever do that. If I ever go missing on a cruise ship make sure to tell the police to take a good look at my wife

Awwww .. that's so sweet of you to want your wife to move on with her life after such a sudden tradgedy happened to you. Oh, you didn't mean to look at her like that. LOL

Funny, I was actually more offended by the post before that one.

I'm glad you said that. I thought it was only me that was offended....BIg time offended. :mad:

was on that same cruise, and I must say I felt like jumping off myself. I know I have gotten off subject but I will be posting a review soon. I'm ready for agreements or blasting, whichever I get.

Angie

consider yourself blasted because of that callous remark.

Awwww .. that's so sweet of you to want your wife to move on with her life after such a sudden tradgedy happened to you. Oh, you didn't mean to look at her like that. LOL

I was taken as a young kid LOL. Im in my 40s now and she is almost 40. I met her when she was 17 married her when she was 21, and I asked her the other day what ever happen to the girl in the white min skirt I met all those years ago when I was out driving around? I told her men are like a fine wine we get better with age.

Condolences to the family.

From the info presented here the 77 yo man was in a cat. 11 or 12. Probably a cat 12 as the 11's are inboard and not at all private. [Angie should have known that after a couple hundred posts on this site]. It would be hard for a 77 year old to vault off a cat 11 and clear the deck below and make it to the water. If he did tho, drowning would likely not be a problem. All cat 11's are in the far forward part of the ship. He would be battered by the hull and sucked into the props. I'd guess he was in a cat. 12. IMHO cruise ships would be a very attractive suicide base. The price is a detriment, as well as the crowds. That probably holds down the number of attempts. I'm guessing that the cause of death is not a problem to someone really ready to end it all. While I too, shudder at the thought of drowning, a suicide most likely doesn't think the same way we do.

For Angie, it is absolutely possible that you could sail the Fantasy again next week and have the greatest cruise of your life. EVERY SINGLE SAILING on any ship and any line is different than any before or after.

But then I've had 48 [12 Carnival] cruises without a serious complaint so what do I know.

Dan

I am a little lost on the compassion from cusyl. How can you say what a warp mind. You have no idea what this gentleman was feeling. In his time of emotion he might have felt this was the only way out of a situation.

Oh, I'm sorry...I didn't mean for it to sound that way. If a person wants to take his own life there are many, many ways without involving a cruiseship full of passengers and crew. I was referring to the lady that made that statement on that message board, not for the gentleman that disappeared.

Condolences to the family.

From the info presented here the 77 yo man was in a cat. 11 or 12. Probably a cat 12 as the 11's are inboard and not at all private. [Angie should have known that after a couple hundred posts on this site]. It would be hard for a 77 year old to vault off a cat 11 and clear the deck below and make it to the water. If he did tho, drowning would likely not be a problem. All cat 11's are in the far forward part of the ship. He would be battered by the hull and sucked into the props. I'd guess he was in a cat. 12. IMHO cruise ships would be a very attractive suicide base. The price is a detriment, as well as the crowds. That probably holds down the number of attempts. I'm guessing that the cause of death is not a problem to someone really ready to end it all. While I too, shudder at the thought of drowning, a suicide most likely doesn't think the same way we do.

For Angie, it is absolutely possible that you could sail the Fantasy again next week and have the greatest cruise of your life. EVERY SINGLE SAILING on any ship and any line is different than any before or after.

But then I've had 48 [12 Carnival] cruises without a serious complaint so what do I know.

Dan

Very true Dan. My last cruise on the Celebration was the worst cruise I have ever been on. Those people should have not beed allowed out of there house let alone put on a cruise ship. The week I got off the next cruise was the Elvis group cruise. I would have loved to stay on and seen that. I bet that week was much better than the week I was on. IT HAD TO BE

I will NEVER EVER take another Carnival Cruise, especially out of New Orleans. Angie

You know you could have asked if there was a group on your cruise before you went.. and before you would book another one.

Also group cruises are listed on Carnivals Unofficial Wiki.. It just takes a little research of your own to see what you are getting yourself into for a cruise, so you cannot be blamed that you were not informed.. I'm sure you didn't even ask if there was a group.

We just got off the Fantasy cruise yesterday from Cozumel and I think we may have met the man who is missing. When a member of my party was coming back to the ship from Cozumel she met an elderly man (said he was 77) in the elevator who mentioned he was not looking forward to dinner a/c he had to eat alone. She invited him to our table Thursday nite and he came. He introduced himself as Mark and I did not catch his last name but he wore a large pin on his shirt that had the initials "MH." When we were debarking they called his name at least five times and I thought then it might be him. He was supposed to come back and eat with us on Friday nite but he did not show up. I thought he looked ill at ease when he dined with us. Another one at the table said she thought he looked a little down. He did talk to my friend about a wife who had passed away after 44 yrs of marriage and about a redheaded woman who took him for a lot of money. I hope this is not the same gentleman, but if it is, I am posting this for his family who might want to know what he was doing on Thursday evening. My sincere condolences to the family of this missing man.

You know you could have asked if there was a group on your cruise before you went.. and before you would book another one.

Also group cruises are listed on Carnivals Unofficial Wiki.. It just takes a little research of your own to see what you are getting yourself into for a cruise, so you cannot be blamed that you were not informed.. I'm sure you didn't even ask if there was a group.

FYI I did ask if there was a group, so I'm sure you are wrong. I also asked many people we talked to you onboard if they were aware beforehand and I got a 100% answer of No. So let me ask.....Did u know beforehand? and if you did you should hold on to your TA like glue. You are obviously much more knowledgeable about these things than I. I have never heard of Wiki.....

Angie

PS I do apologize for my unfeeling remark earlier about jumping overboard. Thoughtless and I do apologize.

I was wondering about the difficulty of jumping overboard from a cat. 11 balcony, since there is a deck below. I am not familiar with the cat. 12's, so I assume from what someone said that it is possible to jump from those. I sure hate this happened. Bless his heart. This man was obviously reaching out to other people on the cruise. However, no stranger can know this, so no one is to blame.

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth about the Fantasy. I made the mistake of booking a Fantasy cruise for my best friend and me. She had been wanting to take a cruise, so when I got a good deal on one, I invited her to go with me. Unfortunately, this cruise was bad enough that it spoiled cruising for her, and she won't even talk about going on another cruise now. I have to admit that if that one had been my first, I probably wouldn't want to go again either. However, in all fairness, the rough seas we had for the entire cruise caused most of our discomfort, due to seasickness. That's not Carnival's fault. I will try the Fantasy again some day, but there's no way I could drag my friend on it again!

Coast Guard suspends search for man missing from cruise ship

http://www.sunherald.com/306/story/221102.html

The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS -- Authorities have suspended the search for a 77-year-old Mississippi man who was missing when the cruise ship he was on docked in New Orleans.

Coast Guard Investigator Cheri' Ben-Iesau said a suicide note that indicated the man had health problems was found in his cabin on the Carnival Cruise Ship Fantasy.

The man, whose identify was not released, was last seen around 7 p.m. Friday, when the ship was still about 28 miles from shore. Authorities said the man is from Hattiesburg, Miss.

A body has not been recovered.

A news released from the Coast Guard said the man's room, which included a private balcony, was locked from the inside and all of his belongings were inside.

Marie. Whats a wiki??

Archived