Suite Amenities Package

Forestwalkers

I have booked the suite amenties package for my VA and have double checked with Ship Services (Joan). This package is for all cabins except for the Deluxe Suites with no minimum so you could be in an inside cabin and book it. It works out better for us as the extra for the SY being $1200 was too much just for the larger space.

On another thread I reported that the average cost p/p for the most common cabin, on the Oosterdam, in February, is about $71, per day, exclusive of port charges, taxes, gratuities and fuel surcharge.

Put 3-4 passengers into one of these cabins, and it is possible that the p/p, per day cost could be as low as $25 !

That someone paying as little as $25 a day has access to the same transportation, ports, dining venues, food and entertainment as the person paying $400 a day is incredible. That all passengers can dine in cabin and remain in their cabin until their disembarkation color is called is probably not sustainable, at these prices.

I think a reality check is necessary.

Wow, is this in the Caribbean? Our HAL in the Med cruise is running closer to $300 per day (a lot more than this past year) but for an upcoming Celebrity Cruise (Caribbean) about $150 per day ($80.00 for an inside cabin). That is for Conceriage class and similar size to HAL VA (extras on Celebrity CC include priority embarkation, tender, flowers, champagne (prob wine), personalized stationary, daily canapes). Even a HAL rep last year told me there is so much competition in the Carribean their cruises are usually cheap.

The big special right now for HAL's 2008 Med cruises is the third pax rate at about $299.00 (10 day), so great for a family.

I have booked the suite amenties package for my VA and have double checked with Ship Services (Joan). This package is for all cabins except for the Deluxe Suites with no minimum so you could be in an inside cabin and book it. It works out better for us as the extra for the SY being $1200 was too much just for the larger space.

Thank you! It's interesting, although not surprising, that other people are getting different answers.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise! Please tell us all about it when you return. :)

Susan

What is the cost per day or is it totally different depending where you are (even the laundry packages are more expensive in the Med vs North America).

What was your disembarkation experience like on Cunard? We went to Royal Court Theatre and it was about an hour and forty-five minutes before our deck was called.

My disembarkation experience on Cunard wasn't typical ... because technically our "cabin" was not disembarking in New York ... only I was. My cabin mate was staying on to Fort Lauderdale. So, we did not have to be out of the cabin since it was still paid for until Fort Lauderdale. My cabinmate and I worked out the split of the money for those additional two days (she covered it since she would have the cabin to herself until Fort Lauderdale).

So, I didn't have to worry about where to hang until disembarkation. I could just stay in the cabin or aboard the ship or whatever. But I did have to be off by a certain time in order to see the Customs and immigration people. In fact, everyone had to see them ... even those getting off in Fort Lauderdale.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Carib cruises seem to be the best bargains out there from what I've seen. There are soooo many ships down there.

I think the prices for a Med cruise make it so much more affordable than a land-based trip. Considering the exchange rate and hotel costs, I imagine we will do one of these some day.

I was under the impression it was for all "suite" type cabins. You can't book this sort of package for an inside cabin, can you? If so, there is no way they will be able to deliver everything they promise. What happens if 400 cabins onboard ship book a suite enhancement package, plus the deluxe suites ... and they all are entitled to have priority for their choice of dining arrangements. How the heck is HAL gonna accommodate all of those people if say, they all want early traditional dining?

Take the priority disembarkation at tender ports as another example. Say you have all these people who purchased the suite enhancement package, as well as those in deluxe suites. Every single passenger in those accommodations would qualify for priority tendering. Now let's say 90% of them show up at the tender station as soon as the ship has been cleared. It's easily gonna take a minimum of an hour to get all of them to shore ... probably a lot longer since you'll be interspersing them with shore excursions people. Now, let's say it's a short port stay ... it is now 2.5 to 3 hours into the port stay before "average bears" who have not booked shore excursions could get off the ship. Well, what's the point? They might only have two hours in port before they have to get right back on again.

No, these packages at least have to be restricted to those in a cabin category that is classified as some sort of suite. It's only logical.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Since Forestwalkers says they are definitely confirmed for this, maybe HAL is waiting to see how well it goes over before they start restricting its use? Or, maybe they will initially sell it to (almost?) everyone who is willing to pay for it for a specified, limited time to make sure there is immediate income.

Just a thought.

Susan

Since Forestwalkers says they are definitely confirmed for this, maybe HAL is waiting to see how well it goes over before they start restricting its use? Or, maybe they will initially sell it to (almost?) everyone who is willing to pay for it for a specified, limited time to make sure there is immediate income.

Just a thought.

Susan

It is a good money making idea. They can advertise at one price and make money on the amenities.

Carib cruises seem to be the best bargains out there from what I've seen. There are soooo many ships down there.

I think the prices for a Med cruise make it so much more affordable than a land-based trip. Considering the exchange rate and hotel costs, I imagine we will do one of these some day.

Hal's itinerary is great! We did the Western Med this year and going back to do the Eastern next year. We did almost all private excursions last year but even HAL's are reasonable since you pay in dollars. We have two Med excursions booked with HAL for next year and will do some exploring on our own as well. Even the higher price (vs Caribbean) is reasonable when you start looking a Rome hotels.

The suite amenities package cost us $549 for a 2 week cruise. I thought that HAL was selling SOME of the amenities which are free to suite pax to other cabins - hence "suite amenities package'. I didn't think that suite pax would want to pay twice for some if not all of what they already get. Obviously we don't get the suite size cabin, or concierge service etc that the real suite pax get, but for us the disembarkation priority alone will be worth it. We would have bought the Pinnacle Grill, coffee cards, flowers, alcohol and unlimited laundry anyway. To upgrade to an SY would have cost us more than double.

The suite amenities package cost us $549 for a 2 week cruise. I thought that HAL was selling SOME of the amenities which are free to suite pax to other cabins - hence "suite amenities package'. I didn't think that suite pax would want to pay twice for some if not all of what they already get. Obviously we don't get the suite size cabin, or concierge service etc that the real suite pax get, but for us the disembarkation priority alone will be worth it. We would have bought the Pinnacle Grill, coffee cards, flowers, alcohol and unlimited laundry anyway. To upgrade to an SY would have cost us more than double.

So, a 14 day cruise?

Jade13

14 nights on the Noordam 22nd December. We can hardly wait, we love sailing HAL but this is the first time on the Noordam. We sail from NYC and then (hopefully!!) the weather gets warmer as we cruise the Caribbean.

Our invoice from HAL shows the price for an 11 - 14 day cruise.

It is a good money making idea. They can advertise at one price and make money on the amenities.

It's a good idea, only as long as HAL can deliver on what is promised. Let someone with one of these packages not get their preferred dining arrangements, or get hung up waiting to get on a tender, and this "suite enhancement package" will quickly backfire in HAL's face.

Hopefully, if it sells briskly, HAL will quickly restrict the cabin classes that can qualify for it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I e-mailed ship services to ask about this package. They replied with a little more detail on what's included, and quoted us a price of $399 for our upcoming 11 day Noordam cruise. In the first e-mail I asked if this was available to us, travelling in a VA. The first e-mail said yes. I responded, asking again to confirm that we could purchase this package. He/she said NO, only available to SA, SB and SC suites...:confused:

So, Forestwalkers, when you get back from your cruise, I would LOVE to hear if you actually received this package!

This is the same thing that the airlines are starting to do by charging people extra for the more popular seats, such as those in the bulkheads or on the aisles.

Blue skies ...--rita

I do believe U.S. domestic airline carriers are the crystal ball for the future of mass marketed cruising. When consumers abandoned the big carriers in favor of so-called discount and alternative carriers and chose their flights by price, the consumer made it clear what was really important. Consumers demonstrated their willingness to forgo most of the so-called basics in favor of better pricing. The more affordable airline travel has become, the more seats that can be filled.

Earlier this year, it cost me more to get to/from the airport than it did to fly R/T, Chicago to Florida. No doubt in my mind that the taxi driver made more profit than the airline did, on this particular junket.

The discounters/aleternative airlines forced the big guns to compete and that they did by reducing service and/or making services otherwise included, available for an incremental fee.

As you say, most airlines allow the passenger the ability to obtain more by paying more, for known and or premium seat assignments, within coach class. This is, I think, just the begining.

I have always found it a curiosity that the majority of out of cabin experience on cruise lines is the same, regardless of what someone paid for their cruise. And I say this as someone who sails in the cheaper seats, more often than not. The gap between the cost of an Inside/Outside cabin and a Deluxe Suite is usually huge.

That HAL, or any cruise line for that matter, is awakening to the marketing potential of packaging some perks and making them available to those who do not pay top dollar for them, is predicatble. The more choices a consumer has, the more likely the consumer will choose to upgrade something, instead of doing without, a predicatable outcome.

Those who pay for Deluxe Suites can continue to rationalize the expense because on a per square footage basis they are paying less than the least expensive, inside cabin. That's how I rationalize the occasional booking of a Suite, over something less costly. We all rationalize our expenditures. How else is it, that so many of us pay $3 for a coffee, now days?

So, Forestwalkers, when you get back from your cruise, I would LOVE to hear if you actually received this package!

If it's available to all cabin classes, then they shouldn't call it a "Suites Ammenities Package." That is very, very confusing.

I too would like to know if this package is available to all cabin classes ... including cabins that do not even have a balcony.

I guess we'll have to wait until people staying in lower-level accommodations who buy it return from their cruises and report on whether or not they actually received it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We are booked on two HAL cruises over the next 7 months - it is a special year! I've looked online and downloaded the "Gift Guide" because for Christmas a family member wants to surprise us with a special package. Being dim and probably unable to properly navigate my way through the HAL website for info, could anyone tell me where there is a list of what suite amenities are? We have booked a SA on the Westerdam and S for gigantic once in a lifetime Maasdam. We don't know what we'll get as regular amenities so can't tell family member what not to order. Hope this makes sense. Thanks to anyone for any info. margretha who is still trying to figure out those countdown clocks while the snow softly falls outside.....:cool:

There are 3 of us in a SC on Dec. 15 on Zuiderdam. I'm going to call and see if we can get the Suite Elite package to cover all of us, and how much that would be. If it's flat rate per cabin, and that gives all three access to the spa pool/thermal suite, if we get 3 Pinnacle dinners...sound fine. Not so much if they charge per person. Hadn't planned on internet time or coffee card, but want the rest of the package. Will report back later.

Fann1sh,

We are forever in your debt! I've downloaded it and now can send it to

family and instead of gloves or another magazine subscription we'll get a great surprise onboard. Hope your holidays are happy! And you are snow free.

margretha:cool:

• 1 month later...

Archived