Quickie List for cruising with a toddler

Yellowlily

I posted this in a reply to a thread on the main RCI board. Someone had asked about traveling with a 19 month old. My DD is 2 and going on her 3rd cruise next week. Lucky gal! Here's just a run down of a few things that helped us and hopefully will help others. :)

1. On packing - bring everything you need, but try not to overpack. Utilize the laundry service, things like that. Bring your carseat (if you need it on the plane, you will need it on van rides, taxi rides, etc.) and a stroller that's easy to maneuver (I would take one that middle of the line so it's not too big, but not too flimsy). Of course, if you have bottles or sippys, bring dish soap, etc., toys, you know the rest. Whatever type of "travel" stuff that you need, bring (if you use bibs, Pampers disposable Bibsters are great, the pre-soap washcloths, etc.) Lots of diapers and wipes are always a must and you can't go wrong with bringing extras of those.

2. Take your child in your stroller (makes it a lot easier) and have fun exploring. If you want to play in the water, I know they have to be potty trained to get in the pool, but some people bring little blow up pools if you wish to put on the deck for their children to play in. You can always go outside the kids pool and dip their feet in and splash. Also, depending on where you are going, consider beach break excursions. This has worked out great for us. Lesson we learned from going on excursions with our DD - pack simple in a back pack of your necessities, take bottled water and sunscreen, etc. and don't put on the swim diaper till ya get there! LOL! (they leak...) :eek: If you have a sling or a baby carrier, that makes it easy too or just simply hold him/her and you have your backpack and that's easy as can be!

3. We ate mostly at Windjammer and it was great. Depending on what time you go is key, I think. The less crowded, the better obviously. You can always book in-cabin babysitting service (basic rules - book in advance at Pursor's Desk, child must be a year old, $8 an hour, min. 2 hours, pay in cash at time of service). This worked out great for us as my DH and I were able to go to the dining room, Chops, Portofino, the Solarium, etc. and have some private time for ourselves. You will read a lot about possible termination of this babysitting service. Although it apparently was cancelled on the Liberty OS for one week, it doesn't mean they are cancelling it across the board. I have looked into this (at least tried to!). From what I can find, the service is still there. Hopefully on my upcoming cruise, they will have it like they said they would.

4. The activities department puts on a Fischer Price series each morning for babies and toddlers. It's like a little mommy and me play time type of thing. It's nice for the little little ones to play while on board.

5. Have fun! Even though there are some people out there that don't agree that little children should cruise (which I laugh at because I've seen many adults that shouldn't! LOL!! you know what I mean here...), you will find that most all people will ooh and ahh over your little one. Who doesn't love babies?! You will probably absolutely love the attention that people pay to your little one and the crew is more than accomodating. You also may want to mention to your TA that you will need a crib/pack & play in your stateroom. They will set it up for you with sheets and a blanket too (although I like to bring extra blankets). One more thing I would bring is plastic bag/baggies and room spray for dirty diapers. I just found this to be good so that you can dispose of your diapers without offending your stateroom attendant.

I also want to add that someone had also mentioned how great and accomodating the staff is. That is what we love about cruising with our little one. Everyone loves a baby!! The crew is always to happy to ooh and ahh over your little ones and help you out, get them something special to eat, etc.

I hope this little quickie list helps anyone that needs it!! Happy Cruising!:D

I4. The activities department puts on a Fischer Price series each morning for babies and toddlers. It's like a little mommy and me play time type of thing. It's nice for the little little ones to play while on board.

Hey, where's the love for us dads. ;) :p

Thanks for the list I think it is very good.

Hi BigPuma!! So sorry!! I should have said Mommy/Daddy/Grandma/Grandpa and Me! :p My hubby goes to the Fisher Price thing too with our daughter. He is wonderful. So, you're right - I gotta give props to the great dads out there!! :)

Archived