Wi-Fi access

dtm

We are scheduled on the Cloud in April Istanbul-Barcelona. I've read on the Silversea website that the ships are now largely Wi-Fi accessible, including in the rooms. I understand there is a charge if we log on using the ships computer terminals, but if we bring a laptop and use the Wi-Fi connections, are there charges that are incurred? Thanks!

Dan

We are scheduled on the Cloud in April Istanbul-Barcelona. I've read on the Silversea website that the ships are now largely Wi-Fi accessible, including in the rooms. I understand there is a charge if we log on using the ships computer terminals, but if we bring a laptop and use the Wi-Fi connections, are there charges that are incurred? Thanks!

Dan

Hi Dan...

On the Cloud off the coast of Madagascar in my stateroom as I type!:D

• 1 month later...

The Internet on SS is as good as any shipboard Internet service. I noticed about a 512k transfer rate. It's a lot like early dial up connections. A good trick is if you have your own laptop and do a lot of e-mailing is to compose and read your e-mail offline if you have a client based e-mail program on your laptop. Using the ships computers your online all the time and the ticker is whirling away while you write.

Sending pictures can be confusing because the Internet cuts in and out from time to time depending on where you are but SS does have card readers and you can send photos from there computers.

I did have a Wifi signal in my suite, it had very low strength but got he job done. I did hear in some cabins if you left the door to your suite open. The singnal got better. It didn't work very well in some ports for some reasons that I can only attribute to high mountains in the vicinity. Sometimes it didn't work at all, which is par for any Internet service on any ship.

I did have a nice talk with the communications officer on the Wind. There is a single sideband satellite service in the works that would boost the speed. He quoted me that now it cost the line $10,000 a month per ship to receive the Internet, which is why it's so expensive for us. We both marveled that one can do this it all from a ship.

I agree that the internet speed is about the same as a dial-up telephone line on land, though surely not like an ADSL line on land. It is quite usable, and costs 75 cents per minute connection time, not data transfer time. You can buy packages at $45 for 100 minutes, $85 for 250 minutes or $250 for 1,000 minutes. If you are not a heavy user, generally use it for e-mails and check some quick news you need, roughly 15 minutes per day should be adequate.

• 1 month later...

Unless you plan to use at least 200 minutes, the 50 cents per minute rate would seem to be the way to go. I pasted the following from the Silversea website:

"4 Time Plans Available

Minutes will be calculated from the moment a guest logs on to the computer. It doesn't matter if they are on Word, Excel, Solitaire, Internet or email they are being charged by the minute.

* Time Plan # 1: 1000 minutes for $250 ($0.25 per minute), time plan can be used anytime throughout the cruise.

* Time Plan # 2: 250 minutes for $85 ($0.34 per minute), time plan can be used anytime throughout the cruise.

* Time Plan # 3: 100 minutes for $45 ($0.45 per minute), time plan can be used anytime throughout the Cruise.

* Basic Rate: $0.50 per minute (pay as you go)"

(I was on Regent recently, and after 20 nights on board, internet is free and you get a free hour of ship to shore phone time.)

-Don in Sacramento

Archived