CCL Kids Program Vs. Royal Caribbean

We have cruised RC several times without kids but recently tried CCL with our kids. They had a great time, meaning I had a fantastic time. We are returning for Spring Break April but wish to return to RC soon. Anyone has experience both programs? Having the kids squarely occupied is a major priority over cabin, meals and excursions.

Thanks

My kids prefer RCI's kids program to Carnival's, Princess' and HAL's. The cruise counselors they've had in the RCI program have been very up-beat, positive, energetic and happy-to-be-there kind of people.

They have interesting activities and ones that involve more moving around like a form of dodgeball and other ball-type games in addition to the usual scavenger hunts, Connect Four tournaments, and other games.

I never, ever forced my kids to go to the program. Strangely enough, the more outgoing of my sons didn't want to go at first. By the second cruise, he was enjoying the program. Don't pressure your kids to go - the cruise should be time for ALL of you together. If they enjoy it, great, if not, have some ever-important family time. ;)

Now that my sons are in their teens, they don't participate in any of the cruise teen programs. They find them boring and would rather spend time with us doing activities like working out, playing trivia & other ship games, playing board games, relaxing, watching movies and listening to their iPods. I think your kids will really like the RCI kids program! :)

My son who has never cared much for kids programs during our land vacations loved the program on Carnival. He loved it so much we really did not see much of him. The thought of them getting bored on sea days is still quite frightening. I am happy to hear that RC is one kids do enjoy. I like sailing on different ships and cruise lines.

Thanks

My son is 7 and has been on 7 cruises so far. He prefers Carnival's kids program but still had a great time at Royal Caribbean's AO. On their bigger ships, RC has more to offer in terms of sports activities (rock climbing, ice skating, flowrider, kids' pool area). Carnival seemed to have more shore excursions for families. I guess it would also depend on the ages on your children. I would say 6 and younger might do better with Carnival and the older kids on RC.

My son is 7 and has been on 7 cruises so far. He prefers Carnival's kids program but still had a great time at Royal Caribbean's AO. On their bigger ships, RC has more to offer in terms of sports activities (rock climbing, ice skating, flowrider, kids' pool area). Carnival seemed to have more shore excursions for families. I guess it would also depend on the ages on your children. I would say 6 and younger might do better with Carnival and the older kids on RC.

I was thinking the same thing. My daughters were 10 and 12 when we went on Carnival Miracle, and they were bored to tears - they couldn't wait for the cruise to end, and they didn't want to cruise ever again. In fact, we did a land-based vacation the following year, and then convinced them to go back to RCI thereafter. They find AO to be so much better for tweens and teens.

RCI was great. On the bigger ships (explorer class and above the younger kids get to have a parade down the promenade, they stop and do a magic show. They also do the scavenger hunt and lots and lots of crafts. And of course the video games. My son was 7 and had a great time. My 15 year old son had a good time as well with the teen dances and video game competitions. All and all it makes for a nice safe place for the kids while mom and dad get some quality time together. We cruised on the Carnival Triumph as well and the program was great, but I think RCI has a more varied itinerary for the kids.

Archived