Century's fitness center

sunpsyche

I've read that the fitness center is rather small on the Century. Can anyone give me any feedback? Any EFX machines? How many treadmills...stairmasters..long waits? What about the aerobics classes...are the worth the additional expense? Or do they make them so easy as to be worthless, as some lines do. Any info would be much appreciated as I'm planning to do quite a bit of eating...have to work it off.:rolleyes:

I don't suppose the thallosophy pool is included if you buy the aerobics package?

I would say that the criticism of the fitness center's size is well founded. There didn't seem to be any aerobics classes, but more yoga, pliates, fitness ball - type things for a surcharge of $10. I didn't see any packages offered.

There are about 7 treadmills and you will definitely see waits for all of the cardio equipment in the mornings. Afternoons never seemed to be a problem. There are also 2 eliptical machines, a few bikes, and a recumbant bike that was out of order. There are your basic weight machines - maybe 6 in the circuit and a small bench with free weights. Not much room for stretching when a class is being held. T-pool was $20 per day or $60 for the week.

Walk walk walk...I make a habit to use the stairs everywhere on the ship. I've never had a problem getting a machine. They should have sign up sheets net to each machine where you can reserve a 30 min time slot. Sea days are the busiest obviously. But, I have decided that the best thing is walking around the jogging deck including up and down the stairs every lap and then using the interior stairs every time I change decks, which is often. I eat well on the ship and have never gained more than a couple of pounds.

Yes, thats a good plan. we can take advantage of all that fresh sea air on the jogging deck, instead of the...ahem..slightly less fresh ..essence of gym! And we also are stair people. I think on our last cruise we used the elevator twice. It amazes me how people will just wait forever for it; I'd much rather just zip down the stairs. We will have a great time, regardless of the state of their gym...just wanted a heads up.

Like most fitness centers on ships, they're crazy before about 9:00, and mostly fairly quiet for the rest of the day. I'm pretty dubious about the exercise classes - it IS a pity that the X ships lack the wraparound promenades of HAL and Princess, but you can't have everything, it seems.

I'd say all the Celebrity ships have adequate gymnasia, not that I use them anywhere as much as I ought :(

Got back from the Mercury and they had about 8-10 Nautilus type machines, a few benches with dumbells up to 50#, and a number of cardio machines. I never do cardio so I didn't fixate on that! I did take the "ab attack" class which was pretty good I thought. She killed us! In any case, I thought the gym was rather inadequate for my weight training needs, but I managed to improvise to at least keep some semblance of my fitness routine. I did gain a couple of pounds from those 3-5 desserts per night! :)

Gym was never crowded...but I'm an afternoon, early evening workout guy.

Strangely enough, my favorite gym at sea was on the Rotterdam VI. They had a very wide selection of weight training equipment. I was quite happy! I've heard the big Carnival/RCI ships have big gyms, but I have yet to sail on one of the big monster-sized ships.

Jeff

I got off a seven day on the Century on September 28. It was great as was the gym. Probably a dozen weight machines (for every muscle group) a FEW treadmills a FEW upright and recumbant bikes, 3 or 4 elipiticals and 3 or 4 stair steppers. It all was in good shape, a little busy in the early AM but by 11 AM or so, no wait al all. I never had trouble getting on a machine. No TVs GREAT VIEW!

Archived