Belize puhleeze

t_champion

I was in Belize a couple of years ago, and we took a ship excursion to Ambergis Caye with snorkeling. I don't see snything on my ship offered for this trip or Caye Caulker. We are on the Enchantment in March and I want to do something through the ship because of the probability of boats breaking down and us not making it back in time. I also didn't see a zip line excursion either. Does anyone know what we should do? Please give any ideas or tours outside of the ship...especially a zip line tour. We would all love that and I can't find a name for that either...HELP :)

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Shark ray alley tour with Coral Breezes in January of 2006... and we liked it so much we are going to go on the same tour again in January of 2008. :D

When we got back there was still some time to hit some of the shops on the pier as well.

Happy sailing

~Masq~

We were in Belize four days ago, and ended up on Caye Caulker. It's a really amazing little gem of an island. It seems like the prototype for the quirky and colorful tropical island look that theme parks and private islands like Disney's Castaway Cay try to recreate, except Caye Caulker is the real thing. It's only four blocks wide (but long) and feels really peaceful. Everyone gets around by bicycle or golf cart -- and there are bicycle and golf cart taxis too.

Snorkeling offshore is better than I expected considering there is no offshore reef -- in a half-hour snorkel I saw about a dozen large starfish, a big hermit crab, and the usual suspects, but I'm sure it's nothing like the barrier reef.

You can get there by water taxi. Once on the pier where cruiseship tenders dock, walk out of the port area, make a left and walk along the main street (about 5 minutes). It cost my wife and me $30 for two round-trip tickets. The only drawback is that it takes 45 minutes to get to the island, and after the tender boat ride to shore you might not want to get on another one. For us it was well worth it and made Belize our favorite stop of the itinerary.

A final note about Belize: in port, there is a kiosk with a sign for "Taxis and Information." This may have been taxis and information at some point, but now it is occupied by a tour agency that handles transactions from all the hawkers on the pier, and if you ask them anything they will only try to sell you a tour while making it sound like they're giving you impartial information.

Archived