Travel Insurance

meidda

I would like to purchase travel insurance for my upcoming cruise in February. Are all policies the same or are some companies better than others? We will be a party of 3 adults and are all healthy; but you things do happen.

Thanks to all who reply.

I always use www.insuremytrip.com

Trying to figure out which policy can be confusing when viewing them online, so I call an agent directly - their number is on the website. They are knowledgeable about many travel insurance companies and will provide you the best policy options.

Best of luck - it's about time for me to book my travel insurance! :)

Happy sailing!

Every policy has differences. First decide what you need...does your medical insur cover you out of the country? (medicare doesn't either) If not, you'll need some good medical limits. Do you want emergency medical transport to the nearest hospital or do you want the option to be flown directly to your home town hospital..or maybe you don't want either. Do you want to be able to cancel for ANY reason ? If you have immediate family members that will be at home, do they have some medical conditions that might require you to interrupt your trip? And what about you...do any of you take prescribed medicines for a condition that later could be blamed as a pre exisiting condition that made you sick? For example if you are on high blood pressure medicine, a doctor may say that if you have a heart attack it was due to the pre exisiting blood pressure. So you'd want to get a pre-existing condition policy. Those generally have to be purchased near the date of the first cruise payment.

Popular companies have been discussed on previous threads which you can research...Travel Guard, Travelex etc Yes it IS a lot to think about. But if you go to theinsurancestore.com or insuremytrip.com, you'll see everything layed out to compare. Just be sure to print out and read the entire policy, not just the "highlights" before you buy one. Call the company direct for all kinds of help re specific questions too.

Oh and if you have any non-refundable plane tickets or hotel rooms they can be included in the insurance. The policy cost will be based on the cost of the trip and your age.

I always purchase insurance. I do it through http://www.insuremytrip.com. We go with Travelex Travel Lite policy. It's very comprehensive, they are primary (meaning if you incur medical expenses, they will pay first without your having to submit to your own medical insurance), and their customer service is superb. And their prices are very competitive.

Archived