HAL Statendam in Dry Dock Brisbane Aust.

Bellair

http://www.shipspotting.com/search.php?query=Statendam+Brisbane&action=results

Here is the Statendam in Dry Dock (2 weeks) prior to her cruise to New Zealand on the 18th of Dec.

Only 3 more sleeps to go!

N Bell

That's a great shot. It allows you to zoom in. There certainly seems to be lots of activity. Thanks for posting the link.

I too would like to know exactly what was being done. We'll be on board again in exactly 5 weeks today:)

I believe it is a regular service and because Brisbane has a good facility to provide a check up for many ships, they take advantage of this whilst in the area.

It will be great to board the ship & they will probably stock up on food, Christmas decorations etc. plus the crew get two weeks off.

NB

I believe it is a regular service and because Brisbane has a good facility to provide a check up for many ships, they take advantage of this whilst in the area.

It will be great to board the ship & they will probably stock up on food, Christmas decorations etc. plus the crew get two weeks off.

NB

Enjoy your trip. I see from your history you have been on Statendam before. (and before!). She's a great ship, isn't she?

We had no hesitation in choosing her as our first repeat ship.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Yes she sure is a favourite ....you know the old saying..."when your on a good thing, stick to it' this is why we are cautious to try others outside the HAL group.

The WW2 trip to Osaka should be great 25 nights. I have filmed in many of the places we will visit but not visited by sea.

Our family are meeting us on the 23rd in Melb for a Christmas lunch at Pt Melbourne.

Have a look at the short video's of the ship posted.

Regards & a wonderful Christmas

Noel

Hi Steve,

Yes she sure is a favourite ....you know the old saying..."when your on a good thing, stick to it' this is why we are cautious to try others outside the HAL group.

The WW2 trip to Osaka should be great 25 nights. I have filmed in many of the places we will visit but not visited by sea.

Our family are meeting us on the 23rd in Melb for a Christmas lunch at Pt Melbourne.

Have a look at the short video's of the ship posted.

Regards & a wonderful Christmas

Noel

Noel,

I just watched both videos. They're great, and certainly bring back wonderful memories. (I'm sure I've seen the NZ one before)

Have a fantastic Christmas on board!

Best wishes,

Steve.

BE

Noel,

Bon Voyage! Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy all the beautiful Christmas decorations that add to the Holiday spirit. Just got off the Noordam and she was really "decked out".

Looking forward to our WWII adventure and being back on my favorite size HAL ship. This will be my first on the Statendam and I know she'll be

beautiful, fresh out of the yard.

Carole

We'll be on board again in exactly 5 weeks today:)

The cruise director from our Volendam cruise that ended December 3rd said he is taking a six-week vacation and then joining the Statendam. I wonder if he'll be onboard when you are. His name is Mike Connachan. He was the best CD we've had in recent memory--friendly, funny, happy. But what I want to know is since when did HAL start hiring 14 year olds??? :eek: Just kidding, but he does look much younger than he is. Enjoy your cruise!

Robin

Just got off her in Brisbane before dry dock. I thought she looked in good shape. Not sure what all they were going to do but I do know there are some nagging plumbing problems in certain cabin areas that will see a fix, and some elevator/escalator maintenance. On disembarkation day the deck crew had put down protective plywood type sheeting on the teak decks and taped carpet strips around the varnished railings on both sides of lower promenade. Seemed like materials would get swung in over the railings. Lifeboats were removed as you can see as well. They may be getting maintenance or it may be to facilitate painting or other maintenance.

Noel, please let us know what you find out when you get on on the 18th or after your cruise. Particularly interested if any major makeovers were done. I thought maybe the Lido but our dining steward didn't think so.

The cruise director from our Volendam cruise that ended December 3rd said he is taking a six-week vacation and then joining the Statendam. I wonder if he'll be onboard when you are. His name is Mike Connachan. He was the best CD we've had in recent memory--friendly, funny, happy. But what I want to know is since when did HAL start hiring 14 year olds??? :eek: Just kidding, but he does look much younger than he is. Enjoy your cruise!

Robin

Robin,

Thanks for the information. We'll look out for Mike. A good cruise director can certainly make a big difference to the experience on board.

As for the age thing, they just keep getting younger..........

I'm in my mid forties and started cruising just a few years ago. In the beginning I was often asked by fellow passengers if I was part of the crew. One lovely lady in a tender told me how nice it was that they gave me the day off to go ashore!

I have never taken offence at this.

Alas, as the years progress, it happens less and less........

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi everyone,

I will get some shots, maybe some video if i take the camera & will post it on our return after the 6th Jan. & will report back as to any changes etc. that have been done.

Susan Wood & Capt. Peter Voss were on our last two cruises & were absolutely wonderful so I hope this guy is on board you mentioned.

Being an American ship, I wonder if they will serve Roast Turkey & Plumb Pudding with brandy sauce/custard on Christmas day?

The sailing out of Wellington NZ on NY eve should be great with all the fireworks along the coast at midnight.

When we arrive into Melbourne on the 23rd we are hiring a car to 'pop' home (20 mins away) & check on the cat & get presents for our children & grandchildren who are meeting us in a restaurant in Port Melbourne for an early Christmas lunch...shame we could'nt take them on board with us to the Lido eh/.

Have a wonderful Christmas

Noel & Pat

two weeks off in dry dock.....? i can tell you that the technical department didn't, I only managed to get an afternoon off (and I had to bribe my senior watchkeeper for that too!)

M

Mark, what all was done to her in dry dock. Got off her in Brisbane.

Archived