So, tell me about Carnival...

AdrieneAGD

Well, long story short, I was supposed to be on RCI's Mariner of the Seas this week, but Frannie decided to make Port Canaveral impassable, and RCI "royally" bungled the dissemination of information regarding switching the Mariner to Miami from Port Canaveral. (We found out about the change with less-than-24-hours notice and their reps gave us all sorts of conflicting info as to whether or not a shuttle would be available to take us from PC to Miami, etc.)

Anyhoo, we cancelled our cruise and at least RCI has the good grace :rolleyes: to give us our money back. Now we're trying to re-schedule. Several options we've been given are on Carnival ships.

So, for those of you who have been on both RCI and Carnival, what are the differences, both good and bad?

Adrianne - DH and I have done 2 Carnival cruises and 2 RCL cruises, and are booked on a Carnival again for December. We like both lines, both have good points, and there are some marked differences - at least IMHO.

In general I've found the atmosphere on Carnival to be much more of a "party" all the time - it seemed there was always music and dancing going on. Even in the dining rooms, it was much more fun and festive on Carnival.

With that said, we enjoyed RCL for the more elegant atmosphere - both in decor and in service. Although, you could find music and dancing and lots of fun here, too. It just seemed to be more understated and not so in-your-face as on Carnival.

We love cruising and would sail either line again and again. Our all time favorite, so far, would be our Enchantment cruise (RCL) but there are many reasons for that - some that would have nothing to do with the cruise line specifically.

Much of the entertainment and activities were similar on both lines. Food was similar, but I think Carnival has the greater selection of exotic choices. Service we received on both lines was similar, also - but as I said before, I think the staff on Carnival seem to be having much more fun than the staff on RCL. RCL staff seem to be more elegant (for lack of a better word at this moment.)

As the previous poster mentioned, there are many threads on these boards with this exact question - some turn into quite a debate. I've found so far that the two lines are similar enough - in ship size, passenger contingent, and price - that most would enjoy either. Have fun on whichever cruise you pick!! :D

Like the above poster I have sailed on Carnival and the Voyager- I loved everything abut my cruises and found them to be about the same. Royal being much more laid back then Carnival. I prefer Carnivals night life. They give you more choices then which bar/lounge to visit for different kinds of music. I like the games shows. Bingo is more affordable on carnival.

The food and the service is about the same. Carnival is cheaper.

(except when I sailed the Voyager---that was cheaper then the Carnival and that was how we were able to experince that ship)

Cant go wrong no matter which you cruise. A cruise is what you make it anyways.

Carnival does seem to put mroe "fun" into cruising as far as parties go. My husband and I are notorious for planning to stay up late then conking out so we never really miss the party atmosphere if we do not travel Carnival.. I think the food and service are now very similar, although that did not used to be the case.

I like the topless bathing on Carnival ships. I think you will like them both quite a bit.

Archived