Watch out for Celebrity Passage Accounts!

Jean4ever

We wanted to book a 2009 cruise while onboard the Connie but the schedule was not out yet. The future cruise rep instructed us to open a passage account with $200 and told us we could apply it to any future cruise and get an onboard credit. We gave her the money and took the information home with us.

Well guess what......we booked the Century for next month and were told we could not use the account because we were booking a promotional rate! No credit to the cruise and no onboard credit! I guess we will just lose the $200 or hope that the 2009 rate we receive when we book will not be a promotional rate again. We would have been much better off just keeping our money and taking our chances down the road. I could have used that $200 that way on this cruise.

I would advise anyone cruising that is offered the Passage Account to pass!:mad:

Hi Jean,

What did the Celebrity rep say when you told her/him that the Future Cruise Rep told you it could be used on any future cruise? Did the info that the FCR gave you state any limitations?

How does the passage account work....i.e. is the full amount applied to a booking, and what amount is the OBC?

thanks for clarifying,

I would ask to speak with a supervisor. Something doesn't sound right. I was able to use my FCC on the Century. Not only were they having a promotional rate, but I got a coupon in the mail after I booked and the TA was able to apply it, as well as the OBC, to our sailing.

Hi Again,

A Celebrity Passage Account is a form of savings account, just sitting out there waiting for you to decide when you want to use it. Although, the Rep never mentioned restrictions, the fine print does state that certain promotional fares are not included, along with group rates. The OBC is based on the amount of the cruise fare. I did speak with a supervisor and she said no dice on using it on this cruise.

It is very frustrating because they basically are saying I can only use my $200 deposit on higher fares, even though it is my money sitting there! I honestly wish I could get it back. I really feel cheated.

Hi Again,

A Celebrity Passage Account is a form of savings account, just sitting out there waiting for you to decide when you want to use it. Although, the Rep never mentioned restrictions, the fine print does state that certain promotional fares are not included, along with group rates. The OBC is based on the amount of the cruise fare. I did speak with a supervisor and she said no dice on using it on this cruise.

It is very frustrating because they basically are saying I can only use my $200 deposit on higher fares, even though it is my money sitting there! I honestly wish I could get it back. I really feel cheated.

Hi Jean4ever !

Thanks for letting us know of the situation. I have been very vocal on here about this program, and not in a positive way. My Sister purchased one of these Certificates right after the new program started. We were eventually able to make it work, but not without far too many phone calls to Celebrity. Not only can it be complicated, but (in most cases) the shipboard credits are less than Celebrity's old program.

Then, there are situations like yours, where you think everything is fine, and when you go to use the Certificate, you are told to read the fine print. IMHO, that is unacceptable, as Celebrity is holding your money, and now they wont let you use the Certificate.

I would call Celebrity tomorrow, and ask to speak with a supervisor. I would ask them to either honor the Certificate, or refund your money. I have no idea if they will accept either plan, but I know I would be every bit as upset, if this happened to me. My advice ? Be persistent !

I previously booked every Cruise onboard under the old program, but I do not have any interest in the new program. Who knows, maybe I will get better deals this way, and I can explore all options. Frankly, I think Celebrity should offer both the old program and the new program. Sorry to say, it probably wont happen.

Hi Again,

It has no expiration date, so you can use it when you want to, within the guidelines set by X. The fares could be lower, it depends on the cruise and demand for it.

Hi Again,

That is the dumbest thing I have heard. You give Celebrity $200.00 towards a future cruise and they tell you you can not use it??? I understand an issue with OBC if this was a cheap cruise (I have seen some Century cabins as low as $329.00 for insides on some sailings), but why can't you use your own money? I would demand the $200 back, unless I am missing something here.

Archived