Grand Cayman Ideas?

CrusinCouple

We were on Grand Cayman last week and had an AMAZING day at Rum Point. We rented a car from Avis. ( w w w . a v i s c a y m a n . c o m) You can book it ahead of time online without any deposit. We got a Ford Taurus (left hand drive - just like at home).

It was $65 for the day - not bad when divided by 6 people. We got off the tender and walked right across the street to a small gift shop called 'The Blue Iguana'. You tell them you have a reservation with Avis, and they call the office for you. They will pick you up there in a shuttle van and drive you to the airport about 10 mins away. They have great maps, and driving on the left was much easier than I had expected. We had plenty of time for some sightseeing along the way and when we arrived at Rum Point (about a 45 min drive), we pretty much had the place all to ourselves for about 3 hours!

We got back to the airport with plenty of time to get a shuttle back to Georgetown for a little shopping before the last tender.

Sparky58.....We are planning to do just that on Christmas Eve. Any tips or suggestions for that drive? We get in at 7 and the ship leaves at 4. Hope to be on the first tender. What time should we head back to the ship? How was the food and prices? Where is the best place to hang out? We need shade. Any details that you can give would be appreciated. But hurry......we leave in the morning!

The drive is very simple-there are only 2 main roads once you get out of Georgetown. They'llhave maps at the Avis office. Keep in mind that 45mins to Rum Point refers to the shortest route, not all the way around the island.

The food and drinks at Rum Point are definitely a bit pricey, as their dollar is worth more than ours. They have signs that say 'no outside food or drinks', but I'd consider packing a lunch or even just some snacks. Just remember you are only allowed to take 'prepackaged' sealed food items off the ship.

There are plenty of shady areas and hammocks there.

We were in port from 7-4. We got on an early tender and made to Rum Point before 10am. We left at 1 to head back to the airport with time to stop and gas up the car. We got back to Georgetown by 2 and had an hour before the last tender at 3pm.

Hope this helps - HAVE FUN!!

You're going to turn left onto Franks Sound Road (you'll go past the botanical garden) to get to Rum Point. If you miss this, you'll need to turn around and go back, otherwise, you'll have to go all the way around the East End. I don't have a map in front of me, but you'll go through a small town, if you've missed the road. It's not hard to find, there's not many roads, but it's easy to miss since the drivers on Franks Sound have the stop sign, not you. :)

Archived